3g network shuts off during call

damage98

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock evo. I'm pretty sure the 3g wireless radio worked before during calls. I upgraded to the latest ota patch yesterday.
4g radio still works during calls. Did anyone else notice this? Thanks.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You don't need 3g while you are on the phone. You don't have any data going on in the back ground so why need it?

DumpedDuce Approves This Message

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
It's a limitation of CDMA networks (Sprint/Verizon). The only CDMA phone that I know of that has 3G during a call is the Tbolt, but that was built into the hardware.

mmulqu

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
You don't need 3g while you are on the phone. You don't have any data going on in the back ground so why need it?

DumpedDuce Approves This Message

It's a dangerous thing, telling someone what they do or don't need because you're assuming that you know what their needs are. If your laptop is connected to the internet via your Android WiFi tether, it'd be nice if that wasn't interrupted by a phone call.

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I have a stock evo. I'm pretty sure the 3g wireless radio worked before during calls. I upgraded to the latest ota patch yesterday.
4g radio still works during calls. Did anyone else notice this? Thanks.

Hi damage98,

What did you upgrade from and are you now running Gingerbread?
Are you having any problems with Gingerbread?
I also have a stock evo 4g and not upgraded because of all the problems with GB.

Last edited:

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi damage98,

What did you upgrade from and are you now running Gingerbread? Are you having any other problems?
I also have a stock evo 4g and not upgraded because of all the problems with GB.

This isn't a problem. As stated above, 3G doesn't get used during calls anyways because the EVO and most other CDMA phones(exception of the Thunderbolt on Verizon) cannot use simultaneous voice and data over CDMA. Calls are done over 1xRTT. damage probably never noticed that 3G goes away during calls or if his stock ROM ever shows 3G during calls, that it doesn't actually mean he has 3G data.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
This isn't a problem. As stated above, 3G doesn't get used during calls anyways because the EVO and most other CDMA phones(exception of the Thunderbolt on Verizon) cannot use simultaneous voice and data over CDMA. Calls are done over 1xRTT. damage probably never noticed that 3G goes away during calls or if his stock ROM ever shows 3G during calls, that it doesn't actually mean he has 3G data.

This is correct. The 3G icon always goes away when you are on a call because you can't use 3G data while on a call. The only way to use voice and data at the same time is if you are on 4G. The 4G icon does not disappear while on a call.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the misunderstanding of my question to damage98. please re-read my edited post. I am well aware that what he was asking is not a problem.

workindev

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
This is correct. The 3G icon always goes away when you are on a call because you can't use 3G data while on a call. The only way to use voice and data at the same time is if you are on 4G. The 4G icon does not disappear while on a call.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Either 4G or Wifi allow voice and data at the same time.