Battery Issues Since Last OTA Update

beerdini

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Earlier in November there was an OTA update that ever since I applied it my phone's battery life has been terrible. Phone is unrooted, android version 2.3.3, software number 4.54.651.1, can provide more versions if needed.

I typically run my phone with WiFi turned on through the day because I work in a basement with a poor signal but have a WAP right outside of my office. When I first got the phone after a day at the office my battery life would be 80%, but over time it typically ran down to 50% after a day at the office before the last update.

Since the last update I have had to put my phone on the charger at about 10 AM because the battery is nearly dead, then again at 3 PM, and the phone is often to the touch. When I'm not at the office where I do have a normal signal the phone works at a normal temperature but still drains faster than it did when it would run to about 50% after a work day.

Has anyone else had these issues since the last OTA update?

dwelder

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Running Wifi constantly can drain your battery which might be one of your problems. This phone is know for having poor battery life. With the poor signal at your work, that could be also draining your battery since the phone is searching for a signal. It will still affect battery life even with a Wifi connection.

Blendercloud

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as beerdini since the last update. However, I always use my phone with the Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, and 4G antennas off. It lasts about 6 or so hours of "less than average" use before the phone is dead. Before the update a few weeks ago I could easily go from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM and still have 40% left.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
It's not your wifi. It's the OTA update to GB that's causing a lot of people EVO battery issues. I spoke with Sprint technical service yesterday after both my wife's EVO and mine have had noticeable battery issues since the last upgrade (they were stellar before that). Same for two friends with EVOs. Sprint technical service acknowledged that EVO with GB has battery problems and they don't have a solution beyond waiting for Google/HTC to fix it. Account services said the same thing. They suggested that I visit a corporate store with the phones to have them revert back to prior software and also said this was done for some LG phones. It's obvious that a lot of people are having battery problems now with GB on EVO. I was loving mine all year and particularly this summer, but the past few weeks since the update have been not good at all.

Call technical services and if you ask directly, they know about it.

billgio

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been terrible lately. I will charge it overnight, unplug it at 8:00am and it is totally dead at 10:30am. Sometimes it goes from about 60% to completely drained in a matter of minutes with no warnings.

I assumed my battery just went bad but maybe there is more to it....

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been terrible lately. I will charge it overnight, unplug it at 8:00am and it is totally dead at 10:30am. Sometimes it goes from about 60% to completely drained in a matter of minutes with no warnings.

I assumed my battery just went bad but maybe there is more to it....

Yep, that's exactly what's become of my wife's EVO.

elshagon

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Last night I was at 100% at 4am when I took it off the charger. Never turned it on again until 7am and it was at 49%. WTF! 3 hours of non use and it drops that fast now. I then charged it back up and placed it in Airplane mode. Sure enough the battery still drained quickly. What's going on? I tried uninstalling all recent downloads and that's not the problem. I can't go more than 5 hours without having to charge, even in Airplane mode!

westie3130

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I am still on froyo, and unrooted. I never updated to GB because of all of the issues there were, including battery life.I kept waiting for an update, and one never came. My battery life is fine.