Sprint needs to take some marketing classes

sracercelica

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I have not seen on single Evo commercial from Sprint or HTC. Sprint needs to get the word out on this phone if they don't want a repeat of last years Evo launch. I remember in an interview Dan Hesse said they weren't advertising because they expected initial interest to be enough for the Pre, well we all know how that went (not good). I constantly get bombarded with HTC Incredible commercials from Verizon, they understand the importance of good marketing no matter how good of a device is. It seems like it is paying off, so far about 5-6 people that have seen my phone have asked me if it's the Droid Incredible! I then have to explain it is the Evo, and out of those people only 2 knew what phone I was talking about! :eek:

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why advertise something heavily when you already can't keep it in stock? Higher demand doesn't magically sell more product if you don't have product to sell them.

Agent146

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So far I've seen 2 commercials for the evo.1 where everything is falling over like dominos and the other is 2 people on a plane ( girl is using the evo and the guy has a flip phone). Neither of those commercial show the potential of the phone. Verizon has done a great job marketing Droid/ incredible, I hope Sprint can do the same with the Evo.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
why waste money advertising something that is selling itself? Once the initial wave of early adopters has run its course, then they should up the adverts...

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, they pretty much sold out. If they had a heavy ad campaign, there would be a lot of pissed off people. The problem isn't advertising, the problem is that HTC didn't make enough for launch day.

Ironically, VZW Droid ads are probably helping EVO.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
while watching the Stanley Cup final Friday night, they must have shown an EVO commercial 5-6 times during the game

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I've seen the commercial saying the EVO is the first 4G phone ever pleanty of times. Sprint is advertising, they're just not shoving it in peoples faces like other companies. I hate seeing the same commercial a thousand times in a row, it bothers me.....lol

I think they did a good enough job considering the amount of EVOs sold.

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
They have sold out at 22,000 locations, selling an estimated 200,000-340,000 phones (according to multiple sources this morning; see Google news). Seems something worked right.

For the record, I've been seeing Sprint Evo 4G commercials all weekend. At the end of the NASCAR race, Sprint always puts their flagship phone on the roof of the winner's car in Victory Lane. This week, the Evo was on the roof and it was actually some sort of flat-screen display, because the display was showing the HTC welcome screen along with something like "The First 4G Smartphone" and other marketing stuff. It was pretty slick.

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Its call a soft roll. They will start advertising more heavily as the demand levels off.

Last edited:

Ilmater

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Why advertise something heavily when you already can't keep it in stock? Higher demand doesn't magically sell more product if you don't have product to sell them.
DING! Answered. Next thread.

BTW, I'm an employee, and yes, our marketing department does generally suck, though I like the EVO commercial. I just hope we now slam Apple for claiming to bring everyone these great features with iPhone 4 when we already have them.

bignoze

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

this is the correct answer.......customers are not happy when you don't have a product you are advertising.