To Antivirus or not Antivirus

Gelst

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
That is the question...

Anyone use an Antivirus for their EVO ?

I noticed one in the app store and did a search and I didnt really see anyone discuss this topic.

Is an antivirus needed for the phone ?

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
i think it isn't necessary unless there are suddenly android specific viruses out there. it was never needed before (on other smartphones) so I don't think we're quite there yet where we need it now.

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Do NOT PUT IT ON, it will just mess up the phone. This is not Apple with iphone / iPad
NOT needed for Android. I read some where that it will only slow down the phone and the Android OS. Will try to find link to article.

znep

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Some of the antivirus programs also offer tools to remotely track, lock and wipe your phone. Given the relative lack of security that android offers, especially pre-2.2, combined with the large amount of personal data you can end up with on your device I would be a lot more concerned with that functionality than the actual virus scanning functionality.

Unfortunately I haven't really found one I can highly recommend yet, they all seem somewhat mediocre still.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Some of the antivirus programs also offer tools to remotely track, lock and wipe your phone. Given the relative lack of security that android offers, especially pre-2.2, combined with the large amount of personal data you can end up with on your device I would be a lot more concerned with that functionality than the actual virus scanning functionality.

Unfortunately I haven't really found one I can highly recommend yet, they all seem somewhat mediocre still.

I use "Mobile Defense" - you can lock the phone and track it via GPS, as well as send it messages.

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Do NOT PUT IT ON, it will just mess up the phone. This is not Apple with iphone / iPad
NOT needed for Android. I read some where that it will only slow down the phone and the Android OS. Will try to find link to article.

What does Apple have to do with anything?