Evo and Google Talk

desiknow

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Evo and Google Voice

I love the idea of Google Voice but before I start giving out my GV number I am wondering if anyone knows how Sprint will see those incoming calls?

If a mobile phone call the GV number will Sprint see the incoming call (and outgoing for that matter) as a Mobile to Mobile or as a LAN Line?

Thanks!

PS - Loving my Evo

Last edited:

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It is counted as a landline, regardless of whether or not you have Google Voice transmit your Google Voice number as the caller ID or the CID of the actual caller.

bbrodus#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If you can spare $5/mo. Sprint has a service where three numbers that you choose don't count against your minutes. If you get this service and designate your GV number as one of those three 'free' numbers, then any incoming or outgoing number from GV doesn't count against your monthly minutes.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't able to get this added to my plan, you might have to ask for it by feature code.
If you can spare $5/mo. Sprint has a service where three numbers that you choose don't count against your minutes. If you get this service and designate your GV number as one of those three 'free' numbers, then any incoming or outgoing number from GV doesn't count against your monthly minutes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes the number that is used to dial out for my google voice changes... day to day sometimes week to week. Anyone else does that?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
It is counted as a landline, regardless of whether or not you have Google Voice transmit your Google Voice number as the caller ID or the CID of the actual caller.

I'm confused. If I use Google voice to make or receive calls, Sprint will still charge it against my minutes? How is that beneficial then? It also has an option of using it to make international calls. Will I be charged from Sprint when I do that as well? Please help me understand because I would like to use the application, but I don't want to make any mistakes.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I've never seen that, do you know if they rotate or just change completely?

wait, im confused that isnt how GV voice works. GV has a separate number for each person you call. What GV does is it calls you, your GV number, then it creates a number for the person you are calling (it doesnt call their actual number). so the first time you call someone you will need to write down the number that google designates to that person. Then you can text or call them from your normal sms app and it will show up as your GV number.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Well it's beneficial because you have one voice number with multiple phones on your end. So you can have one number ring work at certain times or your cell or your home phone and set rules for different callers or caller groups. You can also have different voicemail greetings, not to mention the ability to text or listen to voicemails from anywhere you have an internet connection.

There are ways to use a Voice over IP server with GV on an Android phone, you can search the forum or just Google it, when I read about it, it looked somewhat involved and I'm more of a texting type of person these days.

Call Sprint and see if you can add the pick 3 or call home. GV wasn't made to get free calls, it was made to have one number that stays with you and work like a mini-phone system.

Sprint will only use your minutes when making international calls through GV because you connect to Google here in the states first and then they place your call.

I'm confused. If I use Google voice to make or receive calls, Sprint will still charge it against my minutes? How is that beneficial then? It also has an option of using it to make international calls. Will I be charged from Sprint when I do that as well? Please help me understand because I would like to use the application, but I don't want to make any mistakes.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
wait, im confused that isnt how GV voice works. GV has a separate number for each person you call. What GV does is it calls you, your GV number, then it creates a number for the person you are calling (it doesnt call their actual number). so the first time you call someone you will need to write down the number that google designates to that person. Then you can text or call them from your normal sms app and it will show up as your GV number.

GV, for me, has always just used the same number to call out on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch