Battery Cover - You're putting it back on wrong

clashcity74

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Ported my number over from AT&T yesterday afternoon after giving the EVO a week long test run. Needless to say I'm hooked, and Sprint's service kicks AT&T ass in my area, although we'll see how things go when I travel.

Anyhow, after quite a few reboots the phone was still showing the temporary number they gave me. So, stupidly, I removed the back cover to pull the battery hoping that might fix it. It usually helped any issue I ever had with my Blackberry.

Long story short I put it back on and now the one side of the cover doesn't sit flush.

Not sure if I should adopt the iPhone 4 mantra and say - I'm putting it back on wrong... and is there a right way, or some trick? Or should I just return and have a back that sits on the device correctly, and possibly better battery life.

clashcity74

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Yea there's def. something wrong with this one then... I tried both recommendations in here and the left side is completely flush but the right side sits up enough that I can slightly see the red underneath.

It starts at the headphone jack and god down that side. Really bothersome.

clashcity74

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Trial and error is your friend. Don't worry happens to all of us, you will find a way.

I've been trying and erroring since last night. I can't find a way where the one side of this thing is going to sit flush like it should.

Hopefully Best Buy has some in stock so I can do an exchange.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yea there's def. something wrong with this one then... I tried both recommendations in here and the left side is completely flush but the right side sits up enough that I can slightly see the red underneath.

It starts at the headphone jack and god down that side. Really bothersome.

Double-check that the little plunger that holds the microSD card in place is fully pressed in. It's on the lower right side next to the battery. If that's sticking up at all, the door won't be flush.

clashcity74

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Double-check that the little plunger that holds the microSD card in place is fully pressed in. It's on the lower right side next to the battery. If that's sticking up at all, the door won't be flush.

I checked that and as far as I can see its pressed in about as far as it'll go. It so weird how noticeable this is when I hold the phone...

On the phone with Sprint right now. Bought it at Best Buy. Of course they are sold out and no idea when they'll have them again.

Last edited:

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I'd make too big a deal about it. You'll most likely want to put a case on it to protect the camera.

clashcity74

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Nothing I do seem to help, and at this point I'm not doing the device any favors by taking that cover on and off. There something preventing it from clipping in all the way or something...

evo01.jpg

evo02.jpg

evo03.jpg

evo04.jpg

limitproof

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
i have the same exact thing that ironically i just started noticing today before reading this thread. i usually have a case or switch to naked when i use my belt holster. for some reason i started feeling the separation today. your pictures are exactly as what mine looks like. i tried the bottom up method and it works somewhat but not 100%. All in all this is very minor to me. so ::kanyeshrug::

gthatsme

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Its the back man.....i just swapped out my back at bestbuy for this very reason. My new one which is more rubberized sits flush all the way around like it is supposed to.

mansouan

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same problem in exactly the same location. I will get some time this weekend and go to the Sprint store to see if they can help. I keep the rubber HTC case on it anyways but the problem will likely get worse over time as I swap batteries often when traveling.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
IMO just let it go and stop obsessing over something so minor. lower your anxiety level and relax and enjoy the device.

you're nuts for thinking about rolling the dice and exchanging a perfectly good and working device.

clashcity74

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Its the back man.....i just swapped out my back at bestbuy for this very reason. My new one which is more rubberized sits flush all the way around like it is supposed to.

So Best Buy has just the battery covers that can be swapped? I was going to head over there over lunch just to see what can be done.

Gekko said:
IMO just let it go and stop obsessing over something so minor. lower your anxiety level and relax and enjoy the device.

you're nuts for thinking about rolling the dice and exchanging a perfectly good and working device.

My anxiety level is quite in check, however I paid $200 of my hard earned dollars for what is supposed to be the best smartphone on the market and in 1 week of use something is already broken?

Sorry but to me that is not minor.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So Best Buy has just the battery covers that can be swapped? I was going to head over there over lunch just to see what can be done.

My anxiety level is quite in check, however I paid $200 of my hard earned dollars for what is supposed to be the best smartphone on the market and in 1 week of use something is already broken?

Sorry but to me that is not minor.

Well, minor or not, I agree you shouldn't have to put up with a defect of this nature. Considering that you don't wish to use a case, it is important that you get a good-fitting back cover so that dust/debris stay out of your phone.

I don't know what could be causing the obstruction. It may not be an obstruction. The door may simply be warped. Either way, it appears to be a manufacturing defect and I don't see any reason not to get it fixed.

Good luck.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Wow! That is really bad. I'd consider getting a new cover rather than replacing the entire phone if you have no other issues with it. I'd hate to get something resolved while gaining more problems in another end.

phonephetish

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I've only taken my battery cover off maybe 3 or 4 times since I've had it but I did notice the same thing, but the only area non-flush was the upper right corner near the headphone port. I took off the cover and battery just now, double checked to make sure the plunger for the microSD card is pushed all the way in and it was. So what I did was slightly flexed the back cover, pushing downward on the upper right side so that it curves downward more. And now when I put it back, it looks almost perfect. Since the back cover is slightly flexible, I'd say over time you will need to do this anyway so that it lines back up. Also, when you remove/replace it, try to use even pressure pull/push the cover from/to the phone so it doesn't get so warped on one side. I'd say to try the same thing, but be very gentle. I think they could have used a stiffer material and still had the rubberized coating, but oh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa