google talk wont stay signed out

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I searched and didn't find anything about this. I go into running services and click stop, and then a little while later I go back in to check and it is on again. I have do not auto sign as my selection. I have my syncs to manual and I don't use gmail. What would cause it to sign back in by itself when I tell it not to?
Thanks

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I searched and didn't find anything about this. I go into running services and click stop, and then a little while later I go back in to check and it is on again. I have do not auto sign as my selection. I have my syncs to manual and I don't use gmail. What would cause it to sign back in. Y itself when I tell it not to?
Thanks

just let it go.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
why are you concerned if it is started? it isnt hogging any resources except RAM which doesnt matter.

False...it does gobble up battery, even Sprint themselves have acknowledged this.

Hey OP....my Evo, since the update does this very same thing. I'd like for it to quit popping up but can't get it to. Before the update, going into Running Services, I'd stop it and it wouldn't come up but since the update...I can't seem to kill it off for good.

Hopefully a bug they iron out.

I wonder if uninstalling it would be okay. I would think that if I were in fact to ever need it, I could simply go and download it again....but am reluctant to for worry of it causing a hiccup to other google services.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
False...it does gobble up battery, even Sprint themselves have acknowledged this.

Hey OP....my Evo, since the update does this very same thing. I'd like for it to quit popping up but can't get it to. Before the update, going into Running Services, I'd stop it and it wouldn't come up but since the update...I can't seem to kill it off for good.

I wonder if uninstalling it would be okay. I would think that if I were in fact to ever need it, I could simply go and download it again....but am reluctant to for worry of it causing a hiccup to other google services.

Clearly we are talking about 2 different things, you are talking about a service i am talking about an app. For the service, that is REQUIRED for push for gmail, gtalk, and gvoice. if you dont want that running anymore go into sync, and uncheck background data and auto sync for gmail. You wont see that service come up anymore.

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site

Yep, ever since update it started this no stop thing.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Clearly we are talking about 2 different things, you are talking about a service i am talking about an app. For the service, that is REQUIRED for push for gmail, gtalk, and gvoice. if you dont want that running anymore go into sync, and uncheck background data and auto sync for gmail. You wont see that service come up anymore.

Clearly you are way out in left field. We're talking about Google Talk, whether it be the app, service...whatever. Thing is Sprint's acknowledged how this uses unneccessary battery juice. Google Talk is not needed for your Gmail, calendar and other Google services to run.....they aren't dependent on Google Talk app.

We want this to stop and in order to do so, one must go into Running Services and click on it for it to stop.....just as Sprint has instructed. SEE HERE. This used to work prior to the update. But, if you rebooted the Evo, you'd have to go in and stop it otherwise that option would stay in effect. However, since the update...GTalk keep appearing shortly after stopping it, in perpetual fashion.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just turned it off via gmail account through desktop computer. Hopefully this works. Will report back after some time to post results.

Thanks, even if it doesn't end up working. It's a noteworthy attempt.

fastamx79

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've made it a habit to go right into my settings and killing the google talk service after any reboot of my phone. Google Talk app doesn't sign in, but the service runs, and yes it does kick the crap out of the battery, and it does NOT affect gmail.

I will also turn off google talk from my gmail account on my computer to see if that does anything.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've made it a habit to go right into my settings and killing the google talk service after any reboot of my phone. Google Talk app doesn't sign in, but the service runs, and yes it does kick the crap out of the battery, and it does NOT affect gmail.

I will also turn off google talk from my gmail account on my computer to see if that does anything.

No doubt.... Keep fingers crossed that it works.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Damnit.... It comes back up. Just for clarification.....I'm not signed in...it doesn't sign me in but the program is running for 6 minutes after I last closed it. This is bull!

Having followed Sprints tips on this, my battery life had shot up through the roof. I saw significant improvement excercising all their tips. Now this...

fastamx79

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Damnit.... It comes back up. Just for clarification.....I'm not signed in...it doesn't sign me in but the program is running for 6 minutes after I last closed it. This is bull!

Having followed Sprints tips on this, my battery life had shot up through the roof. I saw significant improvement excercising all their tips. Now this...

I also saw a huge increase of battery life turning that stupid service off. I went from 6 hours of battery life in a poor coverage area (while I am at work) to 10 hours in the same area while at work... when I am not at work I can get up to 14 hours with this service off.

I guess this means we keep forcing the service to shut down after reboots. Kind of lame, but it gets the job done, and my battery lasts much longer!

edbtzy

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the exact same thing happening with me EVO ...
Has anyone found a solution?
Without having to root and delete the app all together

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87