Whats your memory usage look like?

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Just curious what you guys are seeing for memory usage on your phones?

I think I am pretty much constistantly at like 80ish % and 78M or so available.

I know it is dependant upon your apps, but curious to where you guys stand because. i do not feel like i have alot of apps installed, but seems a little High IMO

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
i kill everything when i'm done doing something.

Over 200M available, 3% use when just dorking around

120M available, 48% use when i'm actually a few things.

RvU 1.3.2

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
40-47M constant. My phone runs perfect daily havent had any issues. Android will close apps if it needs to clear up space you should be fine. This isnt windows the phone wont turn to **** if you have no space left its smart and clears it as necessary.

DO NOT INSTALL A TASK KILLER AND RUIN YOUR PHONE.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so just let it be and dont worry about it?
I just think to look at it sometimes when it feels like its slow or something not responding correctly.

Im just soo used to looking at everything with this phone to see what its doing rather then enjoying it. hahaha

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
40-47M constant. My phone runs perfect daily havent had any issues. Android will close apps if it needs to clear up space you should be fine. This isnt windows the phone wont turn to **** if you have no space left its smart and clears it as necessary.

DO NOT INSTALL A TASK KILLER AND RUIN YOUR PHONE.

Next your going to tell me i shouldn't root either because android gives me free wifi tethering, the ability to take screen shot from within the phone, scale down my cpu usage, or over clock if i want to ;)

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Next your going to tell me i shouldn't root either because android gives me free wifi tethering, the ability to take screen shot from within the phone, scale down my cpu usage, or over clock if i want to ;)

why would i do that? i 100% encourage people to customize their phone to their liking. But i am not going to promote an app that does do anything except causes more harm them good to mine, or anyone elses device. for example, you have a scaling cpu usage app. Interesting, do you know that in fact the CPU scales perfectly on its own in effort to conserve battery life, it is part of the snapdragon design. didnt know that? you might wanna do some reasearch.

I dont hate, i educate.

(disclaimer: oh i also work at the company that designs the chip...shhhh)

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Damn, I didnt think I had that many apps installed. Guess I gotta see whats chewing up my memory.

Currently the ones i installed are:
Where
Speedtest.net
System panel
pandora
tip me
color note
led light
talk to me with all the plugins
and i think Google maps

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Damn, I didnt think I had that many apps installed. Guess I gotta see whats chewing up my memory.

Currently the ones i installed are:
Where
Speedtest.net
System panel
pandora
tip me
color note
led light
talk to me with all the plugins
and i think Google maps

just curious, why do you think that if your memory is low that your phone is going to preform worse? who told you that?

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Dunno, i just thought if my mem is high % all the time at idle that it would slow down once I actually started using it.

Or should I just be waiting until i get crashes or memory errors to worry about it?

marclile

May 26, 2010
Visit site
just curious, why do you think that if your memory is low that your phone is going to preform worse? who told you that?

agreed... Android expects things to be in memory. this isn't a Windows OS people. and by the way, it takes the same amount of power to store something in memory as it does to store nothing in memory. so killing idle apps, that aren't doing anything anyway, isn't going to help at all with battery life.

marclile

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dunno, i just thought if my mem is high % all the time at idle that it would slow down once I actually started using it.

Or should I just be waiting until i get crashes or memory errors to worry about it?

the only time i think about killing an app is if it's not acting right. like i said, android prefers to use memory that is available. it's a waste if it's just sitting there not being used. if an app needs more memory, the os will get rid of other stuff to free some up.

marclile

May 26, 2010
Visit site
So is the main performance clog (if there is one) going to be CPU usage from an App ?

im my opinion, yes. filling up your memory isn't going to slow stuff down. if anything, it will make it appear faster because the apps that you want to run, are already loaded up in memory.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
here is a pretty good article about memory usage in Android.

Task Management | android.nextapp.com

This is a pretty good application too. it's the only "task manager" that i use. mainly because it shows you which apps are "active" and which ones are "inactive".

Marclile +1 ty for that link. I wanted to write up a thread about exactly how android memory works and link developer examples but most of it would be over peoples head. This article works perfect!

marclile

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Marclile +1 ty for that link. I wanted to write up a thread about exactly how android memory works and link developer examples but most of it would be over peoples head. This article works perfect!

no problem. i was actually using a task killer when i first got my evo and after reading that page, i stopped killing all of my tasks all the time. the only time i end an app now is if it's acting up or if it continues to eat up cpu time. most apps are pretty good about going into an "inactive" state when you back out of them though.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
So is the main performance clog (if there is one) going to be CPU usage from an App ?

Yes, usually multiple apps that take up high CPU load. for example, having a live wallpaper with music playing with google nav running and browsing is going to slow the phone down. Overall though, i would worry more about battery drain more then i would performance issues.

this would entail Apps that require contant data usage (cpu cycles) and never let the phone sleep. like, auto-syncing rss feeds and facebook updates 2 hour weather updates and screen brightness high. If you figure out the best way to manage that type of use your battery with last more then enough time that is sufficient for you.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
yes you do NOT need to be killing tasks in android OS. those apps dont use any resources or slow down anything try out system panel and read up on it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames