I got a droid x today. (Comparing it with my evo)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think one of the differences is the screen.... The Droid X uses an AMOLED screen doesn't it? The EVO uses a rather older TFT touch screen that does use more battery life vs the AMOLED screen.... But I doubt that is the MAIN difference... The other problem is going to be carrier specific apps that are installed on the phone... It might be the Sprint apps do some thing funny with the phone.

As for trickle charging... I charge my phone at night while I sleep.... I usually plug it up at 10 - 11 at night and take it off around 7 in the morning... and I still go all day with medium use (7 in the morning until about 11 at night) and still have around 40 - 50% battery life remaining... I charged it over night last night took it off this morning and right now I am at 12 hours 33 minutes and still have 62% remaining (Today was what I would consider a very light use day)

I do think the battery stops charging once it hits full charge instead of running off AC power instead of the battery but my guess is it starts charging back up at 95%... I have noticed when I plug it up all night and take it off it quickly drops from 100 - 95% and then stays pretty steady.... A couple of times I have plugged it up and waited until it turned green and it takes longer to go from 100 - 95%.....

As for rooting............ People have broken the iPhone and installed Android on it..... Sooner or later some one will find a way to root/break it..... Might just take longer than most other phones....

SilverZero

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Question. What does it trickle charge down to? 90%? Or does it just keep discharging?

I mean, its not a big deal to me as i have full Sprint bars and leaving my Pre now over night i lost about 5%.

That's not what "trickle charging" means. Most rechargeable devices have a circuit that, when the battery is full, will continue to "trickle" energy into it to keep it at that topped-off level until it's unplugged. The Evo, on the other hand, charges to max (or is it only to 90%?) and then stops charging altogether. It's basically not drawing any current from the charger once it goes green, so if you plugged it in at 10pm and left it all night, it might charge by midnight, but then it would be running off battery power until morning, so it's basically taking 6 hours of standby time off your day before you even get up. More if you leave your radios on all the time.

I can't imagine it would be hard to change this at the software level, or even hack it. If I was a programmer I'd write an app for this right now.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Man I thought there was gonna be an interesting read. Should change the title to "droidx vs Evo battery".

I too thought that it was going to be a side-by-side comparison. But comparing the battery life of the two is also important. I would like to read a more comprehensive comparison of someone who has both devices and uses them in real world situations. I would be interested to see which one they prefer.

atomicdog21

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, other than battery life the screen/picture quality is probably the most important point of comparison. It's certainly a standout feature (if not the standout feature) of these two phones. Anyone with hands both have any commentary on that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non