HTC Evo 4G - would it work unlocked on Verizon?

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I think it's not... doable.

I hear they actually use different CDMA bands... and it's actually pretty difficult to do.
Oh, and activation...

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I think it's not... doable. I hear they actually use different CDMA bands... and it's actually pretty difficult to do. Oh, and activation...
You can roam on Verizon with a Sprint phone and vice versa. So it is doable - theoretically - but Verizon isn't likely to enable it for you. But you might as well get a Droid X if you want to be on Verizon, it has very similar features to the EVO.

Neither phone uses sim cards - those are used with GSM phones (AT&T and T-Mobile.) GSM and CDMA are definitely NOT compatible with each other, they are different ways of encoding and decoding the digital signals on the bands you share with thousands of other users - though a few phones have both GSM and CDMA chips.

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Really guys? This was just discussed on the podcast tonight. It IS possible, you just have to know someone who works at Verizon to do it for you.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Why put a evo on Verizon when you can just get the Droid x? You people make no sense, I keep hearing how Verizon has better phones but everyone wants to try and put a evo on there network. Lol its sad of you Verizon customers to keep asking about putting the evo on your network when you can get the Droid inc and x.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Why put a evo on Verizon when you can just get the Droid x? You people make no sense, I keep hearing how Verizon has better phones but everyone wants to try and put a evo on there network. Lol its sad of you Verizon customers to keep asking about putting the evo on your network when you can get the Droid inc and x.

Well, the Droid X doesn't have a front facing camera. Some people use that I guess.

And could care less about the GPU and the slightly better screen on DX and 30fps cap on evo.... I guess.

JaceAugust

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested in the Evo because the front facing camera, a feature all of the Droid phones lack. So if I know someone who works for Verizon, would it be as easy as switching between Verizon phones?

astoriacub

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
why would want to use the Evo on Verizon when Sprint's phone plan is significantly cheaper and WiMax looming on the horizon in all the major markets this year?

joelshooty

May 15, 2010
Visit site
My Droid X is coming in the mail today. This was a purely hypothetical question, not intended for argument-starting. =)

I've read of people hacking Sprint phones to work on Verizon. Specifically, I remember seeing someone do it with a Sprint Palm Pre, before it came to Verizon obviously. Here's one thread on the subject from PreCentral forums (http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/190805-palm-pre-working-verizon.html).

It looks like you need a Verizon insider to manually enter the MEID or do some ESN/MEID cloning which is way over my head.

twan2001

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, the Droid X doesn't have a front facing camera. Some people use that I guess.

And could care less about the GPU and the slightly better screen on DX and 30fps cap on evo.... I guess.

lol, they sent me my droid x today and im going to do my ESN swap tomorrow because this thing is terrible! They say it has a higher frame rate but the EVO undoubtedly runs smoother, especially when swiping from screen to screen and scrolling through the app drawer. The camera is trash (indoors at least, i didn't test outdoors) and for those who talk about coverage... I live in a real city where all networks have coverage so i could care less about coverage in central idaho.... He probably has verizon and wants a quality phone, and that's why he wants to flash his evo.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
To the original question: yes, it's technically feasible. It's been done in the past with PalmOS Treos and Pres. But, and it's a big but:

You'll need to fool Verizon or find someone to sneak it into their system. Verizon will not knowingly activate a phone they didn't sell.

None of the Sprint specific software is likely to work and, of course, you won't be able to take advantage of Verizon specific features, since your phone won't have them.

It's likely other things won't work correctly, either. For example, when people did Treos, my recollection is that it wouldn't do data over 3G, only 1xRtt.

marantper

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
No way man, The Evo is much better than Droid X in a lot of simple practical ways that make all the difference.
1. reading. The built in kickstand would be amazing
2. capacitive buttons. since the screen is so big, its nice to have capacitive buttons so you can reach with your thumb and "touch" the buttons. This is something you cannot do with the droid X. since they are actual buttons you cannot just "touch the buttons", you have to push them, this requires a little more force than can be mustered if you are holding the Droid X in the middle. That prob isn't very clear, but if you have a Droid X I'm sure you know exactly what I mean
3. Motoblur SUCKS butt! Sense is so much more intuitive, and smooth. I have launcher pro on my phone but there are still some aspects of the motoblur that still come out.

...off my soap box now...thank you.

sakasune

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Also the 4G WiMAX in the Evo is going to be worth nothing on the Verizon network because they're going to LTE for their 4G network.
But yes, it should be theoretically possible, but you'll probably have to know someone to get that done.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
No, as there is no Sim Card. Verizon will not activate any EVOs.

CDMA = NO SIM CARD

Verizon is moving over to gsm, which is sim cards, some phones out right now have both. Thats the only way they work. From my understanding, they are pushing out their gsm conversion once they launch their LTE networks

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87