What's eating my battery?

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
There is way too much information to sort through regarding batter life and turning off bluetooth and 4G. One of my apps or something that I can probably force close or change a setting on is munching my battery away this morning and I am hoping to get some help on how to diagnose.

Please no trolling about not searching enough, I would really appreciate a good idea on if this is best suited by downloading an app that shows what battery operations are present, etc.

I've seen so much discussion about task killers and if they are good or not, but since I just got the EVO exactly 7 days ago, I'm not sure if its Froyo related or an app that has something syncing in the background.

tracerit

May 16, 2010
Visit site
download Spare Parts. install it, give it some time to gather some info, then open it up, go to Battery History, choose "Partial Wake Usage" and "Since Last Unplugged" to see what's taking up your battery life. It's best to plug it in for a second and unplug so that "Since Last Unplugged" will work.

This is how I found out some of my syncing apps was keeping my phone awake and hogging up 40% battery over 6 hours while i was sleeping.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have found that other than the screen, generally applications' polling for data updates tends to crank the most battery. A great app to help with that I have found is JuiceDefender . It has really helped my battery life on my Droid 1. It turns off data intermittently and only lets the phone poll (all) data for certain configurable time periods (say 1 minute each 15 minutes). It can also manage CPU clock speed (lowering it when the screen is off for example).

Sorry I can't be of more help than that, I don't have an Evo. Less frequent data polling helps for sure though ..

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Ever since Froyo update, it seems as if my battery lasts a lot less time than it did with eclair. I am still trying to figure out why. My battery is now gone by four o'clock when before, it lasted all day.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Ever since Froyo update, it seems as if my battery lasts a lot less time than it did with eclair. I am still trying to figure out why. My battery is now gone by four o'clock when before, it lasted all day.

Yeah something happened during the update because I used to be able to leave my phone unplugged over night with about 30 percent and it would not die... Now if I do that with even 40-50 percent it dies... Something isnt right... My phone is set up the same way it was before..

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah something happened during the update because I used to be able to leave my phone unplugged over night with about 30 percent and it would not die... Now if I do that with even 40-50 percent it dies... Something isnt right... My phone is set up the same way it was before..

Yes, I am still trying to figure out why. I don't like this. I am back to my palm pre style battery life. Mine is actually set up the same except no live wallpaper so the battery should actually last longer.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have found that other than the screen, generally applications' polling for data updates tends to crank the most battery. A great app to help with that I have found is JuiceDefender . It has really helped my battery life on my Droid 1. It turns off data intermittently and only lets the phone poll (all) data for certain configurable time periods (say 1 minute each 15 minutes). It can also manage CPU clock speed (lowering it when the screen is off for example).

Sorry I can't be of more help than that, I don't have an Evo. Less frequent data polling helps for sure though ..

Juiceplotter is great, JuiceDefender completely borked my battery in a few hours overnight by constantly turning on and off the wifi and using CPU cycles. I've found I get much better battery life *without* ATK or JuiceDefender.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Well to respond to your finding you get better battery after you dropped the troubleshooting apps, that seems to make sense considering it is checking all other apps as well as constantly reporting a battery level. I think this can be a quite useful tool for diagnosis purposes. Find what's going on and fix it, then get rid of the tool right?

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
install OS monitor to see what's using your CPU. or install spare parts to see battery info. or my favorite is install system panel and see what's using your resources. any of those should help you figure out what's eating your battery. i use all 3 together myself to get a complete picture when i need to troubleshoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty