EVO to Captivate and Back- in 24 Hours- Ouch!

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
From playing with my sister-in-laws captivate and comparing it to my incredible, i can pretty much agree with all of the above. I was shocked how much slower it was to navigate menus and home screens than my incredible. Much more so now that my incredible is on 2.2

Samsung's touchwiz interface is way too clunky and while their hardware is fantastic, i think they should run plan vanilla and leave the custom UIs to companies that actually improve Android.

It's a real shame, because that screen IS beautiful and the phone on paper should be the fastest thing going...

tjwoo

May 31, 2010
Visit site
but but but the benchmarks!

Kidding aside, thanks for the review. I've been recommending the epic 4g for family and friends when they come out for sprint since many of them prefer slide out keyboard, but since captivate and epic are in the same family, i'm afraid they'll run into the same UI woes you described.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Well tell that to the over 200 comments on the epic page who try and argue over which one is better and the whole $50 more for the epic thing. Wow I read every single comment about how better the epic was compared to the evo. I was just sick after reading all the Evo hate. I don't understand why people have to put 2of Sprints best phones in a comparison all the time thats only going to result in a big fight. So from your experience, the phone seemed good on paper with specs. But after playing with it you did what ANY person should do and decide which phone worked better for you. Specs are specs but its down to what you want in a phone and the features that phone comes with.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Well tell that to the over 200 comments on the epic page who try and argue over which one is better and the whole $50 more for the epic thing. Wow I read every single comment about how better the epic was compared to the evo. I was just sick after reading all the Evo hate. I don't understand why people have to put 2of Sprints best phones in a comparison all the time thats only going to result in a big fight. So from your experience, the phone seemed good on paper with specs. But after playing with it you did what ANY person should do and decide which phone worked better for you. Specs are specs but its down to what you want in a phone and the features that phone comes with.

yeah.. that is crazy...
i compare that with racing cars on specs!
it dont mean anything.. till the tire hits the road!
it is about how all the different parts of the car work together to win the race.

symplistik

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

I've never had a chance to play with any of the Samsung Galaxy phones but I too have read over in the Epic section and I totally agree with you. In my opinion, the Evo and the Epic are equally as nice. Both have awesome features. I do admit that i'm thinking of going to the Epic because of the full keyboard (I'm a previous Blackberry owner so I miss the physical keyboard) but I would never compare the two. I'm going to play with the Epic first when it actually COMES OUT rather than going by specs.

gbm85

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Yeah it's pretty sad how certain people can be absolutely convinced that a phone they haven't even used is superior to the EVO. I'm sure it will suit some people better than the Evo can, but come on it's not even out yet!

techsamaritan

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Great insights by all. I loved my hero except for the lagginess and small screen but the Evo solves all these issues! I also had the Moment and thought long and hard about reserving the epic but the only reason would be for the keyboard but I dont mind the onscreen kb so, evo it is! now, if i could only get my hands on 2 of them for my wife and i...

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
The problem for me is simple- smartphone envy. I wish I could ever be satisfied. Every time i find the nearly perfect phone (like the EVO), the next great thing comes along and I want it- and I want it right away. It used to be I could be happy six or eight months until the next great thing, but now the next great thing comes out every month (or faster)! I switch phones so much that early adopter disease is driving my family crazy- they think I am a nut- and they're probably right. But i have to say I enjoy being infected.

Any others here afflicted with early adopter syndrome raise their hands...

*WAVES HANDS LIKE A MANIAC*

you just described me LMAO, glad im not alone. When it comes right down to it, its the Hero vs Moment all over again. HTC Sense vs. Slightly better specs and keyboard. When it came down to it, the specs made no difference when comparing to HTC user experience in Sense and all their enhancements that actually made the slower Hero the favorite by the majority. Im gonna still try out the Epic but its gonna hard to give up the "complete" felll htc sense demostrates. I just wish the fps wasnt capped. That would have made my choice much much easier. I felt embarrased when i saw how the Aria was sooo much smoother...

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow, GREAT write up, this should be stickied, atleast for the VS galaxy s vs evo..

now after reading this,im pretty sure i WONT get rid of the evo for the epic..

i believe this write up as honest and truthful, hands on and right to the point.

so were you able to get rid of the contract and such with the captivate? how was ATT on giving it back?

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Before Sprint I heard repeatedly how bad their service and network was. Maybe it was that way in the past, but I have been absolutely surprised at how great both are now. Call quality has been fantastic and 3G is widely available, both rural and urban. In the few places where 3G for Sprint was not natively available I'm able to roam free on Verizon with my EVO. Plus, the 4G here in North Carolina in my city has been great and superfast.

Also, the subscriber losses are also heavily impacted by the Nextel portion, which was heavily in the contractor segment. Those huge losses are not all necessarily the result of Nextel's problems, but also heavily impacted by the economic effect on the meltdown of the construction industry. I highly recommend Sprint and hope to see them rebound to profitability.

i COULDN'T agree more.

i kept hearing how bad sprint was, how much they "sucked" how bad the service was.

talked to 3 ppl at work who had sprint for almost 10 years, ALL agreed they love the service and will never consider switching..

before that when i got tired to CRAP tmobile, i came from the 9700 blackberry i was dying to hop into android via droid x or the evo..

it was just on a whim and i was like why not try either one right?

the droid x wasnt out yet but coming out in a few days, via sprint the price points were WAY better AND i got a huge employer discount i didnt even know of, so sprint was the clear winner, but i was still unsure about how soon i would get the evo itself due to the shortages :( so i was highly considering verizon, i know here they have great service..

well talking to my local sprint corp store, they were a first come first serve store, NO waiting lists, the guy said he would call me when EVOs came in, 2 days later i got the phone call, they got 30 in, i was excited.. i was working that day and already had my account set up via the website, just waiting on the phone, it was all set up and ready to go, all i did was go in to the store, pay for the phone, and go on my way.. took me 5 mins, the phone auto programmed and all was well.

sprint service for the first month has been amazing, 3G all over, decent speeds (not as fast as tmobile but way more reliable) and not one dropped call the whole month, really amazing.

im beyond happy..

i just been having problems with my evo, so im waiting for a replacement.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Touchwiz is absolutely horrible. Horrible horrible horrible. I was more annoyed with Touchwiz than I was impressed with the screen and gpu. While there are things that bother me about the Evo, htc Sense is awesome and blows Touchwiz, or any other custom Android UI for that matter out of the water. I'd ALMOST rather listen to Justin Beiber exclusively for a week than have a Touchwiz phone...

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Touchwiz is absolutely horrible. Horrible horrible horrible. I was more annoyed with Touchwiz than I was impressed with the screen and gpu. While there are things that bother me about the Evo, htc Sense is awesome and blows Touchwiz, or any other custom Android UI for that matter out of the water. I'd ALMOST rather listen to Justin Beiber exclusively for a week than have a Touchwiz phone...

i dunno, i dont have anything really negative to say about the wiz, but what i dont like much is that it gives it too much of a cartoony-dumbed down look. It lacks the high end feel of Sense and Moto's new Blur in the D2 and X

symplistik

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to come and do a quick follow-up.

My aunt had to go to AT&T today because her iPhone was acting up and kept giving her a sim error. While I was in there, I thought I would take a look around. I ended up coming across the Samsung Captivate and I must say, it was the most irritating thing ever! I couldn't figure out how to turn the screen on and then when I finally got it on, I felt like it was nowhere near as lovely as my Evo. Everyone says how awesome the AMOLED screens are but eh, I wasn't too impressed.

The funny thing is when I was talking to the rep, she said "I see you have the Evo". Then she points to the Captivate and says "This is our version of it". LOL! It was the funniest thing and I immediately thought about this thread. I also took a look at the iPhone 4 and still, I just couldn't get a good feel for it. It's alot smaller than what I thought it would be.

I walked out of AT&T proud to have my Evo in my hand. I don't even think i'm going to check out the Epic after what I experienced with the Captivate.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'd root it and go vanilla or ADB anytime.
It does better on benchmarks but I need flash on my camera... lol.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'd root it and go vanilla or ADB anytime.
It does better on benchmarks but I need flash on my camera... lol.

I agree it does better in benchmarks, but not all end users are completely gutting it via root and so on, i said from the beginning touchwiz was a direct copy of the iphone.

i love sprint and the evo, i will NOT be paying a extra 50 for touchwiz.

maybe id pay 50 more for a dedicated gpu.. but thats it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty