FINALLY!!! My 3G Airave is working with my EVO

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I got this thing like a week ago but haven't been able to get it to work 100% until just recently with my EVO. After 8 calls back and forth with Airave support they finally did something on their end to get this thing working. I had the amber blinking light of death flashing for 5 days with no joy. :( The external GPS antenna is very finicky, I had to try 3 differen't windows before I got a signal....even though my phone gets a GPS signal in my place no problem. Anyways I got it for $50 with no monthly fee from the retentions dept. I constantly have full bars and fast internet...all is well with the world.

59cf329b.jpg

b836f795.jpg

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes it plugs into your broadband modem. The old one didn't support EVDO, I'll take function over form on this type of product any day.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not that excited about 3G support, since if my Evo can see the Airave it's also in range of my WiFi network. WiFi is significantly faster than 3G.

I'm wondering though if the new model fixes an annoying bug of the older model I've got. When in range of the Airave, if my Evo (or my old Pre) tried to get a location via cell tower triangulation, it reports me as being at whichever Sprint network hub the Airave is tunneling to over IP. So the phone thinks I'm hundreds of miles from my actual location, which messes up things like weather display, local search, etc. This despite the Airave having a GPS receiver so it can report an exact location on 911 calls.

Does the new model accurately report location to your Evo?

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Did you just order an "airave" or specify the 3g airvana model? I called last week and nobody knew about this model.

Thanks.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

jlewis

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I just received this same model yesterday. I got it via tech support, and then network support, retentions, etc. I am guessing the sales & customer service departments do not have access to this model in their system (just a guess).

When the guy put in my order saying it would ship, he said I would probably have to call and activate it once it arrived (even though the instrux say it should be pre-activated). He also told me to make sure when I activated it that they were not adding the $5 / mo. charge to my account. So, I called like he said. The guy who activated it said that he could not add a charge to my account even if he wanted to. He said the computer system at Sprint will only add this new model Airave with a zero-dollar charge. The old one still comes with a $5 per month charge, but the new one is automatically free.

That leads me to believe they are only using this new model for correcting network issues and trying to satisfy grumpy customers. You probably cannot order this new model even if you want to pay for it.

strick1226

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not that excited about 3G support, since if my Evo can see the Airave it's also in range of my WiFi network. WiFi is significantly faster than 3G.

I'm wondering though if the new model fixes an annoying bug of the older model I've got. When in range of the Airave, if my Evo (or my old Pre) tried to get a location via cell tower triangulation, it reports me as being at whichever Sprint network hub the Airave is tunneling to over IP. So the phone thinks I'm hundreds of miles from my actual location, which messes up things like weather display, local search, etc. This despite the Airave having a GPS receiver so it can report an exact location on 911 calls.

Does the new model accurately report location to your Evo?

I'd really like to know this, too. Mine reports me being in a city several hours away, which ultimately forced me to remove the Sense Clock from my EVO.

Interestingly enough, though, it could be worse: I've seen posts from some users in New York state where their Airaves cause the Sense Clock to show them being in China! :eek:

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have my new one on order. I hope they get it right!

I am curious about the location reporting as well. This thing looks huge!

I am curious about the VOIP service that Sprint may eventually offer.

ronrule

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I just called Account Services (*2, confirm phone, 5, 6 "cancel my account"), told them our home phone issues, and ordered one for free. totally painless. my stay-in-bed wife will be so pleased!

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Mine currently tells me I'm in Pittsburgh which I am and Google maps has the right address so I guess the new ones are ok GPS wise.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JT1981