Goodbye Evo

tromba

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I switched back to my Treo today. The Evo surpassed it in every way except ONE and that one was being able to sync to Outlook (NOT GOOGLE) calendar. HTC sync didn't work (they even escalated my support ticket and then never called back). Tried solution after solution. It just got too frustrating spending HOURS AND HOURS in forums and trying all solutions suggested, mostly finding many others who could NEVER get it working either. Tried some 3rd party stuff that had errors also.

My wife had a Pre from the beginning and the reason I never got one was that there was no sync with Outlook. I read about the Evo and HTC Sync and thought this was the answer to my problems!!! Oh, well.....

I really liked this except for the ONE thing i needed!!!!!

This is a great forum!! Found lots of help here.

ddunn

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I sync to outlook every minute of my waking life....Exchange server. You could have found a cheap solution online and been all set.

tromba

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I sync to outlook every minute of my waking life....Exchange server. You could have found a cheap solution online and been all set.
I don't have an exchange server, and looked at all kinds of solutions!! Wish I could have found one that worked for me. There seems to be many people for whom HTC sync does just fine and also many for whom there hasn't been any solution.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I sync to outlook, but go a 'round about way..
I use CompanionLink for Google to sync from Outlook to Google. Sync Google to the phone, and back.. so my Outlook and phone both sync calendars, etc... Works great, and only cost me $30...

tromba

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
you're not trying.
I'm not trying? Not anymore. I only tried EVERY version of HTC Sync, installing and uninstalling so many times I can't count them all. I sometimes got partial syncs, and once or twice it actually worked. But working less than 10% of the time isn't acceptable.

I tried companion link. Aside from lots of duplicate entries, many of my calendar events MOVED a day forward. I'm a professional musician and book stuff up to a year in advance... If a date in 2011 moves I don't discover that until I show up at a gig at the wrong time. That's also not acceptable. A response to my latest post there said that if this was because of all day events, it's now fixed in this version. Is EVERYTHING in it fixed now? The ONLY way to know is to compare by hand after EACH sync until I'm sure it works. I could SEE this date move thing because it was this week. If it had been next month I might have stayed with Companion Link only to find in a month that my entire calendar is screwed up. This is not acceptable.

I've read posts regularly at 4 regular android/htc forums and have spent HOURS at a time several days a week for two months. That's the MAIN reason I went back to the Treo. I'm TIRED of all this time trying to fix something that worked flawlessly on my old phone (and Palm handhelds) for 15 years!

I have learned that HTC sync WILL work great for some people and will NOT work for others.

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not trying? Not anymore. I only tried EVERY version of HTC Sync, installing and uninstalling so many times I can't count them all. I sometimes got partial syncs, and once or twice it actually worked. But working less than 10% of the time isn't acceptable. I tried companion link. Aside from lots of duplicate entries, many of my calendar events MOVED a day forward. I'm a professional musician and book stuff up to a year in advance... If a date in 2011 moves I don't discover that until I show up at a gig at the wrong time. That's also not acceptable. I've read posts regularly at 4 regular android/htc forums and have spent HOURS at a time several days a week for two months. That's the MAIN reason I went back to the Treo. I'm TIRED of all this time trying to fix something that worked flawlessly on my old phone (and Palm handhelds) for 15 years!

I have learned that HTC sync WILL work great for some people and will NOT work for others.

maybe you should ditch outlook and switch to Google. free yourself from the tyranny and embrace a seamless solution.

Chrome Browser with Google Mail Checker and Google Calendar Checker Extensions.

it's 2010. it's time to step up your game or be left behind.

tromba

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I sync to outlook, but go a 'round about way..
I use CompanionLink for Google to sync from Outlook to Google. Sync Google to the phone, and back.. so my Outlook and phone both sync calendars, etc... Works great, and only cost me $30...
I tried Companion Link (see previous post) but I REALLY want to sync to JUST my computer. I can't depend on google ALWAYS being 100% up to date. I can't take a gig for next April because my calendar shows it's free only because the recent sync to google didn't work (I didn't try Companion Link to google, but do use google sync -- last week I had four errors that it wasn't working. I agree it's a pretty good solution, but it's not what I'm after.)

tromba

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
maybe you should ditch outlook and switch to Google. free yourself from the tyranny and embrace a seamless solution.
Seamless??? Has Google has NEVER been unavailable?? (It's ALMOST always available). Google sync from Outlook always works? (it ALMOST always works, but last week gave an error message every day.) Tyranny? You mean like Android forcing you to use Google? Seamless solution? I've got that right now with my Treo like I've had for a long time. It really seems bullet proof -- I've NEVER had a problem. Companion Link screwed it up right away.
it's 2010. it's time to step up your game or be left behind.
Yeah, I'm sure that's what all business are going to do.

I appreciate your contributions, but it isn't offering what it should.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Good luck, hopefully you'll find the best phone for you.

Even the "Windows" guys say Outlook should be put to pasture. Paul Thurotte is one of them. I don't say Google and gmail is the be all and end all, but Outlook needs a major overhaul.

elalande

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Google Sync will sync outlook events, I only use outlook because I need something more robust as a CRM, if Google would beef up its contact manager I'd dump Outlook in a heartbeat and beef up task management, but there are numerous sync solutions beyond HTC Sync.

Best of Luck to you, Sorry it didnt work out.

tromba

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Good luck, hopefully you'll find the best phone for you.
Thought I did!! :)
Even the "Windows" guys say Outlook should be put to pasture. Paul Thurotte is one of them. I don't say Google and gmail is the be all and end all, but Outlook needs a major overhaul.
Probably right, but it's been running my business for 15 or more years and despite it's weakness it serves me perfectly well. If there was a replacement app that I could use on MY machine (NOT in the cloud) that would sync, that would have all the Outlook features, I'd probably go for it.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I've had about enough of this one. Theres been multiple posts suggesting fixes and or work-arounds to all of which you have an excuse why you cant or don't want to do it. It clearly seem's as if the EVO/Android is not for you.

Enjoy your next device!

tromba

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had about enough of this one. Theres been multiple posts suggesting fixes and or work-arounds to all of which you have an excuse why you cant or don't want to do it. It clearly seem's as if the EVO/Android is not for you.

Enjoy your next device!
I have had enough also. There ARE NOT fixes that I haven't tried. I DO NOT want a "work around" I want it TO WORK. I don't see why that's so difficult to understand. The old outdated Treo WORKS. A work around ISN'T necessary!

I enjoyed the Evo immensely. I was the BEST device I ever owned except for the calendar sync to Outlook which IS ESSENTIAL for ME. And there is NO FIX!!! I've spent months trying. I've contacted Sprint and HTC and GOT NOTHING HELPFUL.

As I've had enough also, I'm signing off.

For those who have tried to be helpful, I appreciate it. That's why this has been my primary Android forum!!

For those that can't understand what I'm after, sorry to have posted here.

ddunn

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I live and die in Outlook. Any number of hosted exchange services are available through companies like mine (I resell hosted exchange) It's usually a small fee...exp. for a compnay. I have phones, desktops, tablets, iPods, iPads, etc...all pulling down the same account with about a 99.0008% uptime.

A google search for "hosted exchange" showed About 8,280,000 results...just saying