one extra bright white section on Evo screen

guruffl

May 16, 2010
Visit site
About a third of the way up my EVO screen I have a bright white spot when the background of the app or webpage is white. The white spot is about the size a childs finger tip. It was not there for the first 6-7 weeks I have owned the phone, but it is now present. You do not notice the extreme brightness on other colors, just when the screen is white. Anyone else seen anything like this?

RAPTOR0065

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the same thing on mine. A bright spot just right of center about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom. It's about 1/4" in diameter and is noticeable only on a white screen. I first noticed it shortly after installing 2.2. I thought it may have been a spot I rubbed into the invisible shield, but haven't removed the screen protector. It's a nuisance at worst, but I will probably have my device replaced soon.

EvoRoy

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I have it also mine is about a 1/4" round and about 1 inch above the Menu button at the bottom. I believe they are called hot spots.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine was fine until a few weeks ago. Now I have 2 on the right side. One is half way up the screen and the other 1/4 of the way up the screen from the bottom. Everything else works on the phone but the hot spots are starting to bug me. I am debating should I take it back to Sprint or not. I got this day one, and really don't want a refurbished phone. I went through this with my Pre, where the first Pre I got had these hot spots(4of them), so I exchanged it. It took a total of 5 until I got one with not a lot of problems. Each one that I exchanged was worse than the one before. I really don't want to go through that again. If anyone has exchanged for this reason, what did you get in exchange. Was the newer EVO better/worse? Did Sprint give you a tough time about it. I have had my EVO since day one in June and these spots just started showing up a few weeks ago. How do I know this is not inherent to each EVO, that sooner or later it will get those hot spots? What should I do???????????

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Take them into a sprint repair center. I had this issue and they swapped out just my screen. Since then my new screen has zero issues. This is one of the reasons HTC swapped screen manufacturers from what I have read.

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i saw this the other day and thought it was just my eyes. Mine is right above the Home button at the bottom of the screen. So it's a defect?

krypto1300

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've got it too. My thumb usually blocks it, so not big deal. I'll keep my EVO unless I get another spot in a more visible area.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a spot on mine too that is only visible on a white screen. I've started to notice it more but not concerned about swapping it out at this point. If it gets bigger or I get multiple ones, then I'll definitely be taking it in.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from Sprint Corporate Store. I showed them the white spots(Hot Spots) on my EVO 4G, just like everyone else has, and to my amazement, they knew of this problem and has a fix for it. They made a ticket out for me, took my phone, and in 2 hours my phone was fixed. Sprint Corporate Stores have replacement screens right from the factory, brand new from HTC. She replaced the problematic screen with the new screen. Also the earpiece had to be replaced because it is attached to the old screen. The new screen looks gorgeous and vibrant. My EVO looks brand new again. There is no charge for this at all and is covered under original warranty, so don't be scared to take it into the Sprint Corporate store to have it fixed. You get to keep your phone, no refurb, and get it looking brand new too.

By the way, the screen looks a lot brighter than the one I had. I have the original EVO, day one, hardware 2.

Just thought I would let you know it is o.k. to go to Sprint and get it fixed.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from Sprint Corporate Store. I showed them the white spots(Hot Spots) on my EVO 4G, just like everyone else has, and to my amazement, they knew of this problem and has a fix for it. They made a ticket out for me, took my phone, and in 2 hours my phone was fixed. Sprint Corporate Stores have replacement screens right from the factory, brand new from HTC. She replaced the problematic screen with the new screen. Also the earpiece had to be replaced because it is attached to the old screen. The new screen looks gorgeous and vibrant. My EVO looks brand new again. There is no charge for this at all and is covered under original warranty, so don't be scared to take it into the Sprint Corporate store to have it fixed. You get to keep your phone, no refurb, and get it looking brand new too.

By the way, the screen looks a lot brighter than the one I had. I have the original EVO, day one, hardware 2.

Just thought I would let you know it is o.k. to go to Sprint and get it fixed.

I may have to try that. Thanks for the info!

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I am having this same issue. As you all said its about the size of an eraser on a pencil and it only shows up when the screen is white. Although its not a big issue, I find it very annoying.

I just called the Corporate Store I go to near me and the guy (who sounded like he had no idea what he was doing in the first place) said he had never heard of this issue and they do not just replace the screen, they'd have to replace the entire phone. I do not want to replace the entire phone though as it is perfect with no other issues other then this bright spot. Should I try another store or call Sprint CS and see what they can do about it?

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Just got off the phone with a different store and he said they know about the issue and yes they can replace just the screen and to bring it in and it should take like 45 minutes or so to fix as it is slow right now.

exposition

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue, with the "bloom" just above the back button. I went to a Sprint store at lunch and the rep disappeared into the back to talk with her manager. She returned to tell me that it was not an authorized repair, and that I would have to take it up with HTC directly as a warranty issue.

I have to say, I love the phone, love Android, and love the 3G and 4G service, but Sprint's customer service is unifomly poor. I guess I'll call around town and see if I can find a rep more familiar with the issue or more willing to help.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue, with the "bloom" just above the back button. I went to a Sprint store at lunch and the rep disappeared into the back to talk with her manager. She returned to tell me that it was not an authorized repair, and that I would have to take it up with HTC directly as a warranty issue.

That doesnt make much sense what they told you since Sprint is supposed to handle the warranty on the phones.

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
They tried to pull the same thing with me just a little bit ago. I went in, explained the issue and she said they could not replace the phone because of the bright spot. I corrected her and said I didn't want the phone replaced, just the screen and that I had talked to "Joe" on the phone and hour earlier and he said yes they will fix it by replacing the screen for free as it is still under warranty. I have to go back at 5:00 to pick it up as I was on my lunch break and it was going to take more than an hour to fix.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you go to a Sprint Corporate store that has a repair center when going to get the screen replaced. You would hope that all Sprint stores would be informed in what the do, be it sounds like some are not as well trained.

I guess some Sprint stores haven't gotten the new screens in yet, or they are uninformed about the problem. I guess it depends on where you live and how good the Manager and tech persons are at the shop.

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
Visit site
Does the whole glass screen face get replaced? I have this issue, but I also have a slight crack in the glass by the buttons. If the whole deal is replaced, I'd be golden!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non