Music setup on the EVO - Earphones and player

TC

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Greetings all-

Finally got the Evo now that Sprint has let us Sero customers upgrade <grin>, coming from a HTC Titan running WinMo 6.5.x

The phone, Sense and Fryo are fantastic so far, the level of integration between gmail, Facebook, contacts, voice search, etc is amazing. The one huge dissapointment so far is music playing. And I refuse to carry two devices, so my phones are always my primary music player. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, so any insights and suggestions are welcomed. (FYI, the phone is running stock, and fully updated OTA).

Earphones: I've already tried a couple of wired pairs, including a pair of SCOSCHE IDF355md which sound great on an iPOD Touch, and the all of them sound like crap on the EVO. Basically lower volume and absolutely no bass and midrange. Yes, the plug is pushed in all the way and the correct audio icon indicator appears (headset icon). Is it a possible impedance mismatch? Has anyone else experienced poor earphone quality on certain models with this phone? Or do I have a bad phone?

Music player and syncing files from PC: Running Win7 x64 and my music library is all WMA lossless. Album art is in every folder holding the tracks. My question is, what is the preffered format for Froyo and the Evo? Is it MP3? And with regards to album art, does it need to be embedded into the MP3 file and tags, or should one drop it into the folder with the tracks?

All comments and suggestions appreciated, thanks!

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Greetings all-

Finally got the Evo now that Sprint has let us Sero customers upgrade <grin>, coming from a HTC Titan running WinMo 6.5.x

The phone, Sense and Fryo are fantastic so far, the level of integration between gmail, Facebook, contacts, voice search, etc is amazing. The one huge dissapointment so far is music playing. And I refuse to carry two devices, so my phones are always my primary music player. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, so any insights and suggestions are welcomed. (FYI, the phone is running stock, and fully updated OTA).

Earphones: I've already tried a couple of wired pairs, including a pair of SCOSCHE IDF355md which sound great on an iPOD Touch, and the all of them sound like crap on the EVO. Basically lower volume and absolutely no bass and midrange. Yes, the plug is pushed in all the way and the correct audio icon indicator appears (headset icon). Is it a possible impedance mismatch? Has anyone else experienced poor earphone quality on certain models with this phone? Or do I have a bad phone?

Music player and syncing files from PC: Running Win7 x64 and my music library is all WMA lossless. Album art is in every folder holding the tracks. My question is, what is the preffered format for Froyo and the Evo? Is it MP3? And with regards to album art, does it need to be embedded into the MP3 file and tags, or should one drop it into the folder with the tracks?

All comments and suggestions appreciated, thanks!

1. Coming from an iPhone the headphone jack on the Evo seems underpowered although streaming over Bluetooth to my Moto bluetooth heaphones sound WAY better.
2. I fixed my missing Album art with this app Album Art Grabber Free - Android app on AppBrain

Reactions: Mdorty

TC

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
1. Coming from an iPhone the headphone jack on the Evo seems underpowered although streaming over Bluetooth to my Moto bluetooth heaphones sound WAY better.

I think you nailed this one. I had one more pair of headphones in my house to try, a pair of Sennheiser over the ear HD201's, and these sound fine. There still seems to be a lack of bass (slight) when compared to other MP3 players we have. So I'm thinking impedance mismatch with the other wired headphones I tried previously. Your theory about underpowered might be true, I'm going to see if I can find the technical specs on the headphone output.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez