new EVO, but can't solve a calendar sync issue

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Picked up my new EVO last week with a great deal at the shack and I'm liking it so far. Lots of good tips from this forum have impressed me with the battery life being better than expected so far.

Please help me out with an exchange calendar sync issue. I run exchange and have no issues syncing my contacts and email. Also no problems with my gmail account, which I can sync calendar and everything, but choose to only sync gmail email and use my Outlook contacts and calendar thru exchange. The issue is always the exchange calendar sync.

I have done everything suggested like:
a complete phone reset,
multiple delete/reinstalls if the exchange account,
changed my calendar item recurrence times to only 1 or 2 years,
clear calendar cache before reset,
sync only future items,
ran Outlook calendar clean up and archived items up to 3 months ago,
etc.

When I don't sync the calendar everything else is fine. When I sync the exchange calendar, it just hangs in sync.

I need this for work obviously. The issue also happens if I reactivate my Tough Pro2, so it is an exchange issue. It must be a corrupt calendar entry of some sort.

Thoughts? Thanks. This is driving me nuts.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Picked up my new EVO last week with a great deal at the shack and I'm liking it so far. Lots of good tips from this forum have impressed me with the battery life being better than expected so far.

Please help me out with an exchange calendar sync issue. I run exchange and have no issues syncing my contacts and email. Also no problems with my gmail account, which I can sync calendar and everything, but choose to only sync gmail email and use my Outlook contacts and calendar thru exchange. The issue is always the exchange calendar sync.

I have done everything suggested like:
a complete phone reset,
multiple delete/reinstalls if the exchange account,
changed my calendar item recurrence times to only 1 or 2 years,
clear calendar cache before reset,
sync only future items,
ran Outlook calendar clean up and archived items up to 3 months ago,
etc.

When I don't sync the calendar everything else is fine. When I sync the exchange calendar, it just hangs in sync.

I need this for work obviously. The issue also happens if I reactivate my Tough Pro2, so it is an exchange issue. It must be a corrupt calendar entry of some sort.

Thoughts? Thanks. This is driving me nuts.

I know you said it happens with your TP2 as well but I'd test with another mailbox just so you can see if it's a global Exchange issue on your installation or specific to your mailbox.

Also, there's a great app for this called Touchdown (Welcome to NitroDesk, Inc.), it's on the pricey side as far as apps go, but if it were in a box at a Best Buy it'd be worth it's weight in gold. Check it out and you always have the refund policy from the android market if you don't like it or if it doesn't fix your issue.

Reactions: dtreo

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Is your exchange account thru ur work by any chance?....if so you will have to get with tech support for the proper access codes.....I know mine is and wasnt able to get it to connect without their special input codes

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I know you said it happens with your TP2 as well but I'd test with another mailbox just so you can see if it's a global Exchange issue on your installation or specific to your mailbox.

Also, there's a great app for this called Touchdown (Welcome to NitroDesk, Inc.), it's on the pricey side as far as apps go, but if it were in a box at a Best Buy it'd be worth it's weight in gold. Check it out and you always have the refund policy from the android market if you don't like it or if it doesn't fix your issue.

Thanks for the suggestion and I know about Touchdown and the like, but I think the issue with my Exchange (yes, it's a work email Exchange) will cause a problem with something like Touchdown, too. I tried HTC Sync and it wouldn't work for the calendar items, but the mail and contacts is just fine - same as every time I do a full reset on my Evo (or TP2). It's always the Exchange calendar sync that hangs until failure. I doubt Gmail sync would work either to port over my Outlook calendar to my Gmail calendar - which I don't want to do. I have always used my Outlook calendar/contacts/email via Exchange along with my Gmail sync. This has been fine on past Treos, a BB Tour, BB Bold and my TP2 up until about 3 weeks ago when the calendar was causing sync issues on the TP2. I decided to try an Evo since I was up for a new phone, but the same calendar sync issue remains.

Ugggh...I quite like the Evo, but I can't solve this issue. My IT guys are great and we can't figure it out. They did an error check on their end and found nothing for my calendar. It's clearly not the Evo, but the calendar and Exchange can't sync it.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Is your exchange account thru ur work by any chance?....if so you will have to get with tech support for the proper access codes.....I know mine is and wasnt able to get it to connect without their special input codes

Yes, it's the same Outlook work email/contacts/calendar that I've been using for 2 years without issue until recently on my TP2 and now on the EVO. Mail/contacts sync just fine. It's something with my calendar that won't sync via Exchange. If I de-select the Exchange calendar, I can sync my Gmail calendar, but I need to get the Outlook calendar syncing again like it always has done until recently.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I know on the AC podcast they said people were having some kind of problems with the stock integration, I would give touchdown a shot and I believe you can get it in the market, if it doesn't work just uninstall and get the refund.

Since you narrowed it down to the that 3 week time frame though maybe check your emails and see what was added to your calendar around that time that could be causing any type of issue.

Thanks for the suggestion and I know about Touchdown and the like, but I think the issue with my Exchange (yes, it's a work email Exchange) will cause a problem with something like Touchdown, too. I tried HTC Sync and it wouldn't work for the calendar items, but the mail and contacts is just fine - same as every time I do a full reset on my Evo (or TP2). It's always the Exchange calendar sync that hangs until failure. I doubt Gmail sync would work either to port over my Outlook calendar to my Gmail calendar - which I don't want to do. I have always used my Outlook calendar/contacts/email via Exchange along with my Gmail sync. This has been fine on past Treos, a BB Tour, BB Bold and my TP2 up until about 3 weeks ago when the calendar was causing sync issues on the TP2. I decided to try an Evo since I was up for a new phone, but the same calendar sync issue remains.

Ugggh...I quite like the Evo, but I can't solve this issue. My IT guys are great and we can't figure it out. They did an error check on their end and found nothing for my calendar. It's clearly not the Evo, but the calendar and Exchange can't sync it.

Reactions: dtreo

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
So I solved this issue. After figuring out that it was a corrupt entry(ies) on my Outlook calendar causing the Exchange sync errors, I exported my Outlook calendar to a file not including duplicate entries.
Then, when I changed the Outlook view to Categories, I saw that I had over 100,000 calendar entries - which was obviously a problem given that this was a relatively new work laptop. When I sorted them, there were a handful of Outlook entries from 2009 that were duplicated a few hundred to a few thousand times, aside from the normal single entry items.
So, after Outlook took 6 hrs (yikes!) to delete all calendar items, I could easily sync both my Outlook calendar/email/contacts by Exchange, as well as my Gmail email/calendar. All I have to do now is reimport the calendar exported file to reload the items as single entries.

Just a possible problem for anyone else experiencing calendar sync errors with Exchange. It wasn't my EVO in this case, and I didn't need to shell out $ for Touchdown.

Happy camper now. Quite a good phone so far and with my settings optimized for my use, I'm easily getting through a day or more without charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez