Video Playback After Update

jeallen1

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Since installing the newest update, I've noticed that all of the videos that I have recorded with my phone playback choppy on the phone. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but all of them were recorded in 720p before the update. Anyone else experiencing this?

John

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just took a quick vid of my son playing in the snow... went to play it back and it isn't smooth anymore. It isn't bad but a little freeze in the frame at times. Made sure setting was at 60 hz. Interesting. As long is it plays okay when sent to computer I guess it's okay. I am on build number 0003.

kuhawksr1

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm having same issue. Back to pre-Froyo playback quality. Choppy/laggy video (and the audio recorded with the video). Happens with videos recorded pre and post update.

XiiaLive, Pandora, other plain audio sources seem to play without issue. Fire up a video recorded with the device, however, different story.

:mad:

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem running 2.2 hardware ver 0003. Something has to have gone wrong in the update. It was fine before the update, but now mp4, 3g2, mpeg, and recorded 720p EVO clips they all are choppy to a point the phone freezes up. Any fixes out there and who else has this problem?

Last edited:

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm almost positive this has been a common problem, even before the update. Mine has always done this since I first purchased it. It has to do with slow class 2 SD card in it.

jeallen1

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm almost positive this has been a common problem, even before the update. Mine has always done this since I first purchased it. It has to do with slow class 2 SD card in it.

I never had this problem before, and I am using the same SD card as I was before the update. The videos I am trying to play were recorded before the update and used to play smoothly. Something had to have changed...

John

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
^^I second that, everything is the same except for the changes made after the HTC software update, something has gone wrong for my phone.

kuhawksr1

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm. I reported earlier in this thread that the pre-Froyo video playback lag was back. My new class 6 micro SD showed up and I decided to use it. Recorded a video after installing it and playback (both video and audio quality) appear to have improved. My class 2 was working just fine before the recent update. After the update not so much. Looks like class 6 has delivered some improvement. Still think HTC has a problem to solve post update with video playback from class 2 micro sd cards.

jeallen1

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Update: Still not working...

Just an update: I contacted HTC regarding this problem. They had someone from tech support call me who suggested that I clear data from the Gallery app. When that didn't fix it, he had me perform a factory reset on my phone, which also did not help. The guy I spoke to said they tried recording videos on one phone and had no problems. I am expecting another call back and will keep you posted...

John

snappedandgotapre

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same problems a well. 2.2 hardware 002. I just got a 16 gb class 4 sd card. I copied everything onto the new card, and everything plays well again.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Class 2 cards are not fast enough to record HD without skipping. It's in the specs of those cards to 720p HD video recording write recommendations. Class 2 is noted as to slow for the write speed. I also did a test.. I have a Samsung CL80 DC with 720p video recording, and of course my Evo. I proceeded to record 720p on the Samsung with a class 2 and it skipped during playback. I then used my class 10 and the skipping was gone. So even with a different device that is a digital camera it still would skip with a class 2. So it's not the Evo, nor HTC's fault. Class 2 is simply just not fast enough to write.

Also to add.. I used the class 10 in my Evo and recorded a 2 minute test video with zero skipping. So the Class 2 card was the problem. My personal recommendation from my testing is use a Class 4 or higher for HD recording. It's recommended on most SD card companies sites to use Class 4 or higher for HD.

http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/speed_class/

Last edited:
Reactions: MSNardi84

jeallen1

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Class 2 cards are not fast enough to record HD without skipping. It's in the specs of those cards to 720p HD video recording write recommendations. Class 2 is noted as to slow for the write speed. I also did a test.. I have a Samsung CL80 DC with 720p video recording, and of course my Evo. I proceeded to record 720p on the Samsung with a class 2 and it skipped during playback. I then used my class 10 and the skipping was gone. So even with a different device that is a digital camera it still would skip with a class 2. So it's not the Evo, nor HTC's fault. Class 2 is simply just not fast enough to write.

Also to add.. I used the class 10 in my Evo and recorded a 2 minute test video with zero skipping. So the Class 2 card was the problem. My personal recommendation from my testing is use a Class 4 or higher for HD recording. It's recommended on most SD card companies sites to use Class 4 or higher for HD.

SD Speed Class - SD Association

I understand that class 2 is slow, but these are videos that were recorded before the latest update, and played back fine on my phone and computer previously. Now they still play fine on the computer, and new videos play fine on the computer, but they all play back choppy on the phone. The SD card i have in there is the same one I have used since I got the phone in June. I would be inclined to believe it was the class 2 card if the problem didn't just start after the latest update.

John

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I understand that class 2 is slow, but these are videos that were recorded before the latest update, and played back fine on my phone and computer previously. Now they still play fine on the computer, and new videos play fine on the computer, but they all play back choppy on the phone. The SD card i have in there is the same one I have used since I got the phone in June. I would be inclined to believe it was the class 2 card if the problem didn't just start after the latest update.

John

Again the SD association says otherwise, get a faster card. Trust me, and your problems will be gone.

jeallen1

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Again the SD association says otherwise, get a faster card. Trust me, and your problems will be gone.

The videos I am having problems playing back used to play back fine before the update. They were recorded on to my SD card, using my Evo, and played back flawlessly. I installed the newest update, and now they play back choppy on the phone only. If the card speed was the issue, wouldn't I have always had this problem? Something with this update changed the behavior of my videos when they play back on the phone. Also, if the card is too slow to record 720p video to, then why does it play back fine on my computer. If it was a card speed issue, shouldn't it be choppy on my computer as well?

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The videos I am having problems playing back used to play back fine before the update. They were recorded on to my SD card, using my Evo, and played back flawlessly. I installed the newest update, and now they play back choppy on the phone only. If the card speed was the issue, wouldn't I have always had this problem? Something with this update changed the behavior of my videos when they play back on the phone. Also, if the card is too slow to record 720p video to, then why does it play back fine on my computer. If it was a card speed issue, shouldn't it be choppy on my computer as well?

No need to argue here, but in digital cameras and phones in requires class 4 or higher for good HD recording and playback. IT worked before.. Cool! Again even the brand SD says to use higher class for it. I'm going to take their word for it, being that I bought a class 6 for my Evo and never had the issue again. Hit up newegg and get a class 4 or higher, they are not expensive by any means if your staying with 8gb or 16gb. Your problem will be solved

It's not the update.. Class 2 just is not used for HD recording. Says it right there...

jeallen1

May 18, 2010
Visit site
No need to argue here, but in digital cameras and phones in requires class 4 or higher for good HD recording and playback. IT worked before.. Cool! Again even the brand SD says to use higher class for it. I'm going to take their word for it, being that I bought a class 6 for my Evo and never had the issue again. Hit up newegg and get a class 4 or higher, they are not expensive by any means if your staying with 8gb or 16gb. Your problem will be solved

It's not the update.. Class 2 just is not used for HD recording. Says it right there...

I'm not trying to argue, but you seem to be ignoring that fact that this card recorded and played back HD video flawlessly before the update, something you keep telling me is impossible. If it is the card, I would have had this problem from the beginning, not just since the update. I'm not saying that a faster card won't solve my problem. I'm sure it will. All I'm saying is that this update changed something to make a card not work that had worked fine for 6 months prior. Why should I have to pay for a new card because something changed with the software on my phone?