Upgrading to EVO (or Epic)

Ron_Who

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

My names Ron. I recently found out about this place via twitter, and I must say...I'm REALLY glad I did.

I currently have the Samsung Exclaim, and I am apart of my parents family plan. We have the unlimited $69.99 deal and I'm going to be upgrading my phone to either the EVO or Epic (most likely the Epic if the price goes down by January). However, I've been informed that there is a $10.00 premium data fee and I'm trying to play smart by this.

If the phone I have now is $69.99, then the EVO will be $79.99 with that the premium data fee. This isn't bad, but I think there is a way to bypass that extra $10.00 by removing the unlimited texting and downgrading to say 1,000 text a month. By doing this, you get all the great features of the EVO or Epic and still paying the usual $69.99!

Now, my question is...would that be possible to do? From what I understand, I can't just remove unlimited texting from one phone without it affecting the others. The unlimited texting would have to be removed from the entire family, right? And if that is so, then they'll actually be paying LESS on the bill.

I could really use some advice. I know that $10.00 isn't a lot to some, but I'm trying to play smart.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Ron,

It doesn't matter which phone you get, EVO or Epic, you WILL be charged the extra $10 a month. Both phones require an unlimited data plan @ 69.99 or higher but it will be 79.99 with that extra 10 bucks tagged on.

There are only 3 data plans that will apply to you.

1. Single phone - 69.99 + 10 premium data = 79.99 gives you 450 anytime minutes, unlimited data, unlimited messaging, unlimited Any mobile anytime. Or 89.99 +10 premium for 900 minutes. You can go the unlimited everything route, but way more expensive.

2. Family plan - 129.99 + 10 premium data = 139.99 gives you 1500 anytime minutes, unlimited data, unlimited messaging, unlimited Any mobile anytime. Or 169.99 + 10 premium for 3000 minutes. You can go the unlimited everything, but still way more expensive and all these plans require 2 or more phone lines.

3. Unlimited everything.....you would have to get a second job.

These plans are NON-negotiable and CANNOT be altered like you want either on a single plan or family. Meaning you can't take off messaging, or change the minutes to 1000 to save money. But from what I read, your on your parents family plan and wanting to get EVO or Epic....there is no 69.99 family plan. Only 129.99 or 169.99 is the plan your talking about. If they added you as a third line, it would be $20 for the line plus 10 premium thus making YOUR total bill, for your phone on the plan, $30. But if your parents put you on a separate account, but under thier name, your bill would be 79.99 no matter what you do cause you can't change the basics of the plan. There is however ways to get a discount. Bank with a credit union = 10% discount. Working at Publix = 10% discount. Work at radioshack = 20% discount. Work at Homo Depot or sLowe's = 15% discount. There are many more but you will have to goto your local RadioShack to find out.

Last edited:

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
as said, either phone is going to come with the $10 monthly charge, I have the EVO and my wife has the Epic and that extra $20/mo sucks!

JohnAlpha

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It does suck paying the extra fee (especially if you're like me and you live in an area which doesn't have 4G coverage), but as someone who just switched carriers a few months ago, I can attest that paying the $69/month + $10/month premium data fee was still less than comparable voice + sms + data plans from both AT&T and Verizon. The premium data fee almost kept me from switching to Sprint until I looked at the totals.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
It does suck paying the extra fee (especially if you're like me and you live in an area which doesn't have 4G coverage), but as someone who just switched carriers a few months ago, I can attest that paying the $69/month + $10/month premium data fee was still less than comparable voice + sms + data plans from both AT&T and Verizon. The premium data fee almost kept me from switching to Sprint until I looked at the totals.

This is completely off topic but I love your sig!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

My names Ron. I recently found out about this place via twitter, and I must say...I'm REALLY glad I did.

I currently have the Samsung Exclaim, and I am apart of my parents family plan. We have the unlimited $69.99 deal and I'm going to be upgrading my phone to either the EVO or Epic (most likely the Epic if the price goes down by January). However, I've been informed that there is a $10.00 premium data fee and I'm trying to play smart by this.

If the phone I have now is $69.99, then the EVO will be $79.99 with that the premium data fee. This isn't bad, but I think there is a way to bypass that extra $10.00 by removing the unlimited texting and downgrading to say 1,000 text a month. By doing this, you get all the great features of the EVO or Epic and still paying the usual $69.99!

Now, my question is...would that be possible to do? From what I understand, I can't just remove unlimited texting from one phone without it affecting the others. The unlimited texting would have to be removed from the entire family, right? And if that is so, then they'll actually be paying LESS on the bill.

I could really use some advice. I know that $10.00 isn't a lot to some, but I'm trying to play smart.

1. see if you can get a corporate or other discount applied to your family plan to help offset the $10/month if you don't have one applied already.

2. $10/month is $120/year. get creative and find $120 somewhere either in earnings or in cut back savings elsewhere.

good luck.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Without giving an unbiased answer to your question. I would say read up on both devices.
Those are the two better smartphones on the market right now. (IMO) check out the Evo.

Ron_Who

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, thanks for all the feedback!

I totally forgot about one minor detail...I work at Enterprise RAC, which means I get a 20% discount when I upgrade! Also, I can use the 20% discount monthly on the primary line so the $10.00 fee wouldn't even be a big deal. lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non