Netflix

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if theres a exact release date for this app. i heard in january or early feb a while ago but haven't seen anything yet. there was a netflix app that just released on the evo but was not affiliated with netflix. was just a waste of time.

And i seen the netflix app on iphone were you can watch movies and such, will the android app do the same?

Thanks Community.

dark_dj27

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't think netflix is going to release it on the market because of DRM issues. Last I read netflix was going to deal directly with phone providers.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think netflix is going to release it on the market because of DRM issues. Last I read netflix was going to deal directly with phone providers.

This is correct. If you read up on this a bit via google on the topic, you'll find that Android doesn't have a way of enforcing a DRM at the device level by default.

That means Netflix won't get released to the Android market for all Android devices, if that's what you're wondering. It will only get released for specific devices, where the handset/device manufacturer works with Netflix to their satisfaction to ensure DRM.

Without ensuring DRM, media companies won't sell Netflix licensing for content. So, it's rather vital for Netflix to enforce this.

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This is correct. If you read up on this a bit via google on the topic, you'll find that Android doesn't have a way of enforcing a DRM at the device level by default.

That means Netflix won't get released to the Android market for all Android devices, if that's what you're wondering. It will only get released for specific devices, where the handset/device manufacturer works with Netflix to their satisfaction to ensure DRM.

Without ensuring DRM, media companies won't sell Netflix licensing for content. So, it's rather vital for Netflix to enforce this.

any word if Evo is a device that can satisfy their needs?

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
any word if Evo is a device that can satisfy their needs?

That depends on conversations between HTC and Netflix.

Nope, there's no word on the street. However, since an upcoming LG device features a Netflix app, there is a lot of substance to the fact that Netflix is trying to get their app out to android devices. In fact, Netflix is in a very tenuous market position and getting their app onto more devices is an awesome way for them to boost their leverage when negotiating for more licensing (i.e. more content into Netflix). Netflix is hated in Hollywood, but the fact of the matter is.. they are the most successful venture into online streaming (come on now, how many of you buy movies off Amazon, or Youtube, or Apple iTunes, or Blockbuster?).

However, my gut feeling is that HTC will focus on new phones to feature DRM compliance for Netflix apps for two reasons: (1) it's a driver to buy more new HTC phones; updating old phones for DRM compliance doesn't generate HTC any more $$$$ (2) it would be easier

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I could've sworn the latest update had some kind of DRM in it, to allow for the Blockbuster app... I hope this is what is needed, cause getting netflix on my phone would be too sweet!

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, for the time being we might not have netflix but we have blockbuster - which is pretty awesome in my opinion.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, for the time being we might not have netflix but we have blockbuster - which is pretty awesome in my opinion.

How much does their service cost, i am waiting on netflix because I can get it on my XBOX360/PS3/Wii which I have in different rooms, blockbuster has no apps for these devices as far as I know, so I'd be paying extra for a service that I can only use on my phone (and computer too I guess but I don't even use Netflix on it)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I think BB is like $2.99 or $3.99 for a rental.

Personally, BB will never get another dime from me, so I'll just wait patiently for the Netflix app or do without.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, the filed for bankruptcy awhile ago, but it's just re-organization, so they aren't completely gone yet.

Many of us who rent Blu-Rays have been waiting with baited breath to see what happens (because Netflix is moving to streaming only and if BB goes completely under, there won't really be a good rental option, outside of going to Redbox with admittedly limited selection). Not that I care if BB goes under since I won't give them anymore money. Worst....company....ever. Well, not ever, but they rank right up there.

Last edited:

dark_dj27

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the filed for bankruptcy awhile ago, but it's just re-organization, so they aren't completely gone yet.

Many of us who rent Blu-Rays have been waiting with baited breath to see what happens (because Netflix is moving to streaming only and if BB goes completely under, there won't really be a good rental option, outside of going to Redbox with admittedly limited selection). Not that I care if BB goes under since I won't give them anymore money. Worst....company....ever. Well, not ever, but they rank right up there.

Since when is netflix going stream only? I know they added a streaming only option, but I havent seen anything saying they are going strictly streaming.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Since when is netflix going stream only? I know they added a streaming only option, but I havent seen anything saying they are going strictly streaming.

They are moving towards streaming. From October, 2010: Netflix’s Hastings: ‘We Are Now a Streaming Company’

Below quote from Reed Hastings
“We are very proud to announce that by every measure we are now a streaming company, which also offers DVD-by-mail. In Q4, we’ll spend more on streaming content than DVD content, and we’ll deliver many more hours of entertainment via streaming than on DVD. More impressively, a majority of our subs will watch more content streamed from Netflix than delivered by us on DVD. DVD-by-mail shipments are still growing, but streaming for us is much larger and growing much faster.”

It is also obvious from going to Netflix's site (if you are a member, it takes you to the instant site first), as well as they are no longer stocking most of any catalog releases on Blu-Ray (they just aren't buying them). By "catalog" I mean an older title that's being release on BD. This is in addition to some lesser-known new releases not being stocked (prior to this they much bought everything)

I can also look at how many films have been released on DVD and Blu-Ray already in my disc queue, and how many are just listed as "Availability Unknown" even though I know they exist on disc. Netflix isn't buying them.

There's also the chart here that was leaked that shows they expect the Disc business to taper off starting in 2014: Netflix: DVDs-by-mail will stagnate by 2014, streaming is king | DVICE

And if this chart is indicative of Netflix as a whole, it shows disc shipments actually dropped off this year (the chart only shows people who use Feedfliks, which is no small number though)

And then of course the recent addition of the streaming-only plan.

Regardless of if they are going "streaming only" they are definitely heading that way. Which is fine by me because I love the streaming stuff, but still want my discs....at least for now.

Last edited:

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I think BB is like $2.99 or $3.99 for a rental.

Personally, BB will never get another dime from me, so I'll just wait patiently for the Netflix app or do without.

So you have to pay per movie??? screw that, I'll just wait for netflix... 8.99/mo and I can stream on multiple devices at the same time, I've watched a movie on my Xbox360 in the living room while my gf watches something else on the PS3 in the bedroom...

My how the mighty have fallen, BB used to rule the movie rental business...

As far as netflix going "streamiing-only" I'm all for that, I only subscribed for the streaming, the dics in the mail is just an added bonus, I can't wait for their entire library to be on the Instant stream

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
So you have to pay per movie??? screw that, I'll just wait for netflix... 8.99/mo and I can stream on multiple devices at the same time,

Netflix is the only company offering a "buffet" streaming plan for movies. Everyone else is VOD or PPV.

Of course, this is also why Netflix doesn't offer the latest releases on streaming (you can't expect to stream movies like Inception and Toy Story 3 right now when everyone else is charging $3.99-$5.99 for a 24 hour rental of one title).

Of course, I am happy with it as-is right now.....currently 120+ movies in my instant queue, and another 250+ in my disc queue. I supplement that with the occasional Redbox title, or I'll rent from Zune (on XBOX) or Vudu (on PS3). Netflix really offers the most bang for your buck (and as you pointed out, $8.99 is chump change. If you watch 2-3 movies a month on it, you're coming out ahead vs. renting from another service)

rlbrooks

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
BB app is a joke. I can't believe you have to pay a monthly fee just to have the right to purchase a rental. How is that business still functioning.

sent from my Sprint EVO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa