htc evo why no amoled?

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok well it appears from youtube videos from htc reps that the screen is a tft and not an amoled. I know a lot of people are upset about that, but wouldn't you think that there was a reason for doing so. I work at sprint (retail rep) and I see the samsung moment (amoled) next to the htc hero (tft) all the time and IMO the hero's screen looks a nicer than the moments. What's your opinion on the amoled tft thing?

Droid_Moment

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I think they did it to save battery power?

Or maybe because of the screen size?

and I can attest that the screen resolution on my Moment is wack and the resolution on my ipod Touch is better....

So I'm hoping I wont have to see those damn lines because the phone couldn't handle the HIGH resolution... or the High Quality of a video...

SprintDaddy

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I would think it came down to cost. I think at 4.3 inches a AMOLED screen was just too much money per unit. They are already packing alot of hardware and getting it to a reasonable price is going to be hard just as it is.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I would think it came down to cost. I think at 4.3 inches a AMOLED screen was just too much money per unit. They are already packing alot of hardware and getting it to a reasonable price is going to be hard just as it is.
Cost. This. Yes.

Super AMOLED is the real deal technology but they sunk a ton of money into specs that are more justifiable at this point in time.

Hmmmm. I saw a link to the Android app dev site that says it does have an AMOLED screen.

Either way it look amazing.

HTC confirmed it was TFT in a few CTIA videos. AMOLED in the sun stinks... I'm quite alright with this.

alan7467

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Check out this article about the Nexus One's AMOLED screen:
Secrets of the Nexus One's screen: science, color, and hacks

...very interesting read. While I haven't seen a Nexus One in person I do have a Zune HD (with an AMOLED screen). With my Zune I notice the same poor text quality and red and blue fringing. The contrast on the screen is amazing, and photos look fantastic on it. However, my primary usage on a cell phone would be text and it just doesn't seem that AMOLED screens in there current implementation are up to the task.

So I for one am actually glad the EVO will have a traditional LCD :)

eric.atx

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I am currently on a blackberry and do not like it so my next phone will most likely be an android phone unless something else enters the Sprint picture before hand and piques my interest. AMOLED or TFT this is going to be an awesome phone and if it helps save me some money then whatever they choose is good!

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Check out this article about the Nexus One's AMOLED screen:
Secrets of the Nexus One's screen: science, color, and hacks

...very interesting read. While I haven't seen a Nexus One in person I do have a Zune HD (with an AMOLED screen). With my Zune I notice the same poor text quality and red and blue fringing. The contrast on the screen is amazing, and photos look fantastic on it. However, my primary usage on a cell phone would be text and it just doesn't seem that AMOLED screens in there current implementation are up to the task.

So I for one am actually glad the EVO will have a traditional LCD :)

Thats what I thought. I saw some amoleds and I actually didn't like the way they looked.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking the cost of the 4.3 version of the AMOLED display was way too much. But in a way, I'm glad the EVO 4G will have a TFT screen... My Nexus One's AMOLED is quite hard, if not impossible to read outside in the direct sunlight... I've got some screen protectors on the way (NuShield) that have an anti-reflective coating to them, so we'll see how that works, but if I were to start over, I'd really debate if getting AMOLED is worth it... it's not like it's giving my great battery life, since the Nexus has pretty bad battery life and most of that (according to the battery usage app), is from the display, and I run mine only at 25%...

Can't wait to see the EVO 4G in person... I'll reserve final judgement on my own TFT vs AMOLED debate... ;)

cheers

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
HTC confirmed it was TFT in a few CTIA videos. AMOLED in the sun stinks... I'm quite alright with this.

So am I. Putting AMOLED on the EVO would have been a very bad choice. I was quite pleased to see it was TFT like the HD2. Can't wait for this sucker to be released!

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Samsung's Super AMOLED looks great in the sun, but as far as I know, they are they only people with that at the moment.

I have a Zune HD, and I can't read it at all in the sun, so I am happy to see TFT for the EVO.

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Whats the deal with 65k colors? Is that the maximum amount of colors that can be displayed on a tft lcd? How many colors can be displayed on an amoled?