Visit site
Here is the pic taken with my Shift:

4ccc63ea-ea5f-3878.jpg

This was sent shifting on my EVO Shift 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yea, for my EVO. A lot more clearer.. and more color. No comparison there. Haha.

Thanks for posting those pics.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Idk about all that...I mean these aren't the best of pics to really compare. But I just put them out there. However, yesterday my little girl was wearing bright red jump suit and when I held both my Original Evo and Shift up and activated the cameras, the picture on the Evo appeared really washed up and pic on the Shift appeared to be clearer.

This was sent shifting on my EVO Shift 4G using Tapatalk

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
^^ Well, I'll just base it on the those two right now. The EVO take better pics anyway(in my own opinion).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Assuming these were taken at the same time of day (which judging by the shadow they were) the Shift pic looks better IMO. When I had my G2 I was thoroughly impressed with the camera (and I feel the same with the MT4G).

I was honestly never impressed with the camera on the EVO. It was slow, washed out, and blurry.

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree. It looks like the evo's color are a little too saturated.
the snow looks kinda bluish.. but this might be because the settings was adjusted to a different temp.

Compusmurf

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Both take awesome photos OUTSIDE with lots of light.

Go indoors, use the flash.
Then, turn off the flash and see as well.

There's a surprising difference and the flash actually WORKS without blowing out your photo.

aeroPM

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I tested the cameras on both the OG Evo and the shift and have to say that the above images are indicative of the picture quality with these devices. I just returned my shift today so I don't have the pics anymore, but what you see above is what you get. The colors on the Evo are definitely more saturated, while the shift can appear slightly washed out or dark at times. When you zoom in as far as possible, the color saturation/noise is much more noticeable on the OG, while the shift at maximum size remains fairly clear.

The one thing that really surprised me... the video on the Shift is AMAZING!!! It really was amazing how much clearer the Shift looked than the OG. Like the images, the video displays extra noise on the OG when compared to the Shift. The video on the shift looks like legit HD. Again, I returned the shift so I don't have the video to prove it, but I'm sure someone else can post it up to prove it.

Although the screen size is what made me decide to return the shift, the video almost overcame that. We'll see how the next couple days go with the OG rather than the Shift... I may wind up going back to the shift.

big_bopper

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I tested the cameras on both the OG Evo and the shift and have to say that the above images are indicative of the picture quality with these devices. I just returned my shift today so I don't have the pics anymore, but what you see above is what you get. The colors on the Evo are definitely more saturated, while the shift can appear slightly washed out or dark at times. When you zoom in as far as possible, the color saturation/noise is much more noticeable on the OG, while the shift at maximum size remains fairly clear.

The one thing that really surprised me... the video on the Shift is AMAZING!!! It really was amazing how much clearer the Shift looked than the OG. Like the images, the video displays extra noise on the OG when compared to the Shift. The video on the shift looks like legit HD. Again, I returned the shift so I don't have the video to prove it, but I'm sure someone else can post it up to prove it.

Although the screen size is what made me decide to return the shift, the video almost overcame that. We'll see how the next couple days go with the OG rather than the Shift... I may wind up going back to the shift.

Why jump the gun on the return? You have 30 days, correct?

gggplaya

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
It appears that both the EVO and the EVO shift take crappy pics. My first android phone was a samsung moment and i was fairly impressed by the pics given it was a cell phone. That set my standard higher, then fast forward i got the evo and the resolution was high, but the color and lighting were always terrible, especially with the flash. It was always overly saturated and washed out. Now i have an epic 4g and the color and lighting are again pretty good considering it's a cell phone.

HTC really needs to work on their camera's, they have always been pretty crappy.

aeroPM

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Why jump the gun on the return? You have 30 days, correct?
Yeah... in hindsight, I probably should have waited, but I got some really bad headaches behind my eyes after using it. When I would compare with using my wife's evo, my eyes would be fine. So it seemed like it was the size of the shift's screen causing the headaches. (That and the fact that I probably didn't put it down the whole time I had it. Oh well the screen size was really disappointing though.)

Compusmurf

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
AeroPM, it's probably not the screen causing your headaches. I had that issue before and a trip to the eye doc and voila, adjusted reading glasses. Not that I WANTED glasses per say, but I'll say my life has changed. My phone, my computer, books, etc. So much less eyestrain.

aka: Getting old sucks.

aeroPM

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
AeroPM, it's probably not the screen causing your headaches. I had that issue before and a trip to the eye doc and voila, adjusted reading glasses. Not that I WANTED glasses per say, but I'll say my life has changed. My phone, my computer, books, etc. So much less eyestrain.

aka: Getting old sucks.
haha... yeah, but with the bigger screen i can at least postpone getting old for another 12 months on contract. lol

So how about some more image/video comparisons....haha

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I certainly don't think you can draw conclusions of which has a better camera based on these pics (note: I have neither of these phones).

First, have you adjusted any of the settings on the OG EVO? Since you have had this phone for a while it is possible you changed some of the defaults. If so, did you make the exact same changes on the Shift?

Second, in order to compare pic to pic, you have to take the EXACT same picture. What you have here are two similar pics, but not the same pic. Take a look at the fence in the foreground -- in the shift pic you can see detail on this fence. In the OG EVO you can't.

Third, in the shift pic there is much more ground with snow captured. Notice in the Shift pic the birdfeeder is 1/4 of the way in from the left, yet in the OG EVO pic it is right on the edge. The camera software by default is going to do automatic white balancing. If there is more white it is going to color balance that differently and you may well end up with one that has a much deeper blue sky than the other.

Most cameras on the top of the line phones take good pictures -- the trick is learning how to make YOUR camera take good pics (settings, focal point, etc.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress