Ringer Loud/Vibrate in case

mattw

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I found a strange issue with my shift. I was wondering why the ringer volume didn't seem to have an effect. Turns out that it does, as long as the shift is not in the case. I purchase the shell/holster combo from Sprint and found that if the phone was in the holster the ringer was full loud plus virbrate when the volume was set to anything other than silent. I was able to reproduce this out of the holster by holding my thumb firmly over the area between the speaker grill and the proximity sensor. I have not been able to definitively say that it is the proximity sensor but it happens when there is an obstruction (thumb/case) right in that area. It does not happen in when in a soft case.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm still trying to pinpoint an exact combination but it is really annoying to be always full loud.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The best thing is, you can't do anything about it. It's a "feature" of Sense and it can't be turned off (!). The feature is shown on HTC's web site:

HTC - HTC Sense

So you know when your phone is ringing deep inside a bag or something. Only the prox sensor makes it super loud if it's sitting in your jeans pocket under one tiny layer of fabric. I spend less time on noisy streets (where I wouldn't take a call anyway) than in quiet stores or at a friend's house.

Maybe now the phone is rooted someone will figure out how to stop this.

In the meantime I just created a silent ringtone so that I can still get notifications at the expected volume and I tell the phone to vibrate on ring also. I don't always feel it, but it's better than having it scream at full volume in my pocket when I'm anywhere other than my house.

Another idea I had was to create a really quiet ringtone (use Windows sndrec32.exe or something to reduce the volume until you can barely hear it), then use that as your ringtone. In your pocket it will be quieter, and when you're holding your phone you'll know it's ringing anyway. Might work for you?

mattw

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Would it still do this with Launcher pro or is it the underlying os which does this? I might try drilling a hole in the plastic case to see if that helps. Strange thing is, in this case the ringer is out and exposed so it is super loud. I have a hard time believing they would build a case which would cause the phone to react this way. Seems like really poor design. I went to the sprint store yesterday and they did a full reset trying to stop it and now they are willing to switch out the phone. Good timing on your post, I'm getting ready to head over there now. I would think they would be familiar with this if there is a design clash between the phone and case.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I think if you disabled sense and switched to launcher pro it might work. I am new to android so I don't know, but according to the link I posted it seems to be a "sense" feature. Kill sense and kill that feature?

Poor design is not having an option to turn it off, IMHO. Anything that overrides your explicit preference (ring tone volume) for any reason should be an option, not a requirement. Otherwise you'll always know when someone who owns a Shift is sitting in your movie theatre and forgot to turn their ringer off.

Switching out the phone won't help, of course. If you're willing to damage the case, try cutting a hole...worth a shot!

mattw

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I took a rat tail (round) file to the top edge of the case where the proximity sensor is. I now have a U shaped indentation in the holster which exposes the proximity sensor. This helps but doesn't cure the issue. When the phone is in horizontal position it rings at the set volume. If I rotate it to vertical so the sensor is against my shirt it goes to wake the dead mode. I can live with this since I carry it horizontal most of the time.

I still can't figure out how it can sit in a leather pouch and not ring loud but in the holster it will ring loud if against my shirt.

You are right, this REALLY needs an option to turn off. I like this phone but this "feature" sours it a bit. That and the fact that my son's new Optimus that I got for free seems to have a better antenna and reception than my Shift :-(

rjd728

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same issue with with HTC EVO! This is driving me crazy!! Certainly there must be a way to disable this feature.:mad:

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
FYI, this issue has been fixed in the 2.3.3 GB update; de-select "Pocket mode" from settings->sound and the ringtone volume will not increase when the phone is in a pocket, etc.

One of the good things to come out of this update, in addition to the auto-speakerphone on flip option which I really missed from the Touch Pro2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89