Home screen delay

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Frequently when I tap the "Home" button on my Shift, instead of going to the home screen right away it will display a white screen with "htc" in the center for about one second, then display the wallpaper with a box that says "loading" for about another 10-15 seconds before the icons appear and I can do anything with the device.

Doesn't happen every single time, and I can't identify any pattern. But it does happen sufficiently often that it's annoying.

Anyone have an idea what could cause this, or anything I can do to prevent it?

Thanks,
Jim

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Are you temp rooted? Before I rooted and was using the temp I would get the same thing. It only seem to happen to me while the temp root was active.

Reactions: jjeffcoat

big_bopper

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What kind of background are you using?

I remember that happened to me once back when I was using the Google Maps live wallpaper but have since changed to a standard picture and have not come across it since. Not sure if it was related, but I have seen it before.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
This can happen on any Android device. What is happening is HTC Sense is force closing. my experience has been that this is being caused by ether one of the widgets I am using or an live wallpaper. What I do is start removing things one at a time till the problem stops. I usually start with the wallpaper most of the time that is the problem.

smartphoney

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
This was driving me crazy as well. Try this. It worked for me:

1. Download the free app "Quick App Clean Cache" from the Android Market.
2. Run the app and click the "Clear all" button on the top right.

You'll need to do this every so often but it should solve your problem.

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Wallpaper is a picture of my grandkids, nothing "live" or animated.

Perhaps worth noting: seems to happen a little less often after rebooting the device.

grandebob

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Wallpaper is a picture of my grandkids, nothing "live" or animated.

Perhaps worth noting: seems to happen a little less often after rebooting the device.

Your grandkids just keep messing up your stuff huh?

I had that problem a couple of times too. I removed extra widgets from my home screens and disabled everything I could that I didn't use. It helped lots. Like other people said, it's just HTC's Sense UI crashing and reloading. Give it less stuff to render, and it will behave more.

If you've done this and you still get frequent crashes, there is always the wipe and start over trick.

Reactions: jjeffcoat

megamands

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the EXACT same problem and symptoms. Just a regular wall paper, home page is filled with just shortcuts. After the phone has been on for a while, if I open an app and then press home, it goes to the white HTC screen then loads for about 15 sec. There is no crashing problem, just really annoying. When it starts happening, I do a reset and then its fixed for about an hour.

Other side notes:
Gmail app seems to un-sync and I have no manually check my email.
Some apps crash after I click to boot up, but they are not the problem apps, had them for months before this problem started

Jon no h

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Same thing here. It seems to be occurring more frequently now. I hope they send a fix soon. If not, I may drop Sense and get the Go Launcher EX that others are talking about.
*update* Dropped Sense and got the Go Launcher EX. Best move I ever made. No more white screen HTC reboot issues at all.

Last edited:

ch3vynova72

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Same thing here. It seems to be occurring more frequently now. I hope they send a fix soon. If not, I may drop Sense and get the Go Launcher EX that others are talking about.
*update* Dropped Sense and got the Go Launcher EX. Best move I ever made. No more white screen HTC reboot issues at all.

That's what I did. Got tired of "Loading". I like the Go Launcher EX.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Replace Sense with GO Launcher EX and eliminate all the problems...and customize things the way you want. Sense is stocked full of headaches and annoyances.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I was reluctant to try another launcher, but Go Launcher EX is pretty phenomenal so far. It loads really fast and I like that double tapping the home button takes you to the "center" home screen rather than the miniature view of all the screens. I do miss some of the widgets, but that's OK since the phone works like it should again.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I was reluctant to try another launcher, but Go Launcher EX is pretty phenomenal so far. It loads really fast and I like that double tapping the home button takes you to the "center" home screen rather than the miniature view of all the screens. I do miss some of the widgets, but that's OK since the phone works like it should again.

Download android pro widgets from the market. It has a lot of sense like widgets.

Also, for anyone that's interested.. Here is a Sense launcher which will give you the Sense Rosie and also a couple Sense 2.1 themes http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=784116

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both have the same phone, bought at the same time, and we both see this problem. I think it got worse somewhere around the Gingerbread upgrade. I've tried 4 different launchers, none seem to make a difference. Called HTC, they suggest a factory reset.

However! I tried going through my items one by one off a blank homescreen, and I think I may have found the issue. It looks like as soon as I add a contact as a quick-contact (where you can select to call/sms/email right from the icon on the homescreen) the problems start. These are added via shortcuts--> Person--> [select person]--> Quick contact. With no quick contacts, the homescreen appears to be working correctly, even with plenty of other widgets running.

I can't say for absolute certain that this is the cause, but it may be worth a try for anyone else having this issue. Remove all the contacts from your homescreens and see if that stops your launcher from crashing.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
As was mentioned, this is an issue with Sense. It's annoying as hell. It came with the G-bread/Sense update, and has yet to be addressed (or acknowledged) by HTC. My simple fix (along with lots of others') was to make GO Launcher EX my default. I haven't had the problem since doing so, and I have many more options and features. And it's FREE! I'm not sure what other launchers might work, or if they would work. But GO Launcher EX sure does. Try it, or another launcher, and see if your problem doesn't exist any longer. :cool:

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

You only have to tap once.

May 24, 2011
Visit site
**UPDATED** just rooted and couldn't be happier running Cyanogenmod 7. Although its still urks me since this the only TRUE way out of the reloading memory leak, that I wanted to sacrifice my warranty for a problem HTC should have fixed. I'm only buying Nexus devices after my contract with the shift is up. The shift is a GREAT phone, but lack of effort on HTC's end has me viewing the company in a different light.

Am I the only person that's this happens to? I tried Go Launcher/Launcher Pro/ADW pretty much everything and even though there is no white screen issue, there is still a lag. Even with the after market launchers all the home screens are briefly empty almost as if they are reloading, and the app drawer has to reload all the apps stored on the SD card. This is definietly not normal.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Last edited: