Why I'm loving the Flyer and its companion "Pen"

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Traveling for business in Europe this week and had to sign a bunch of vendor invoices to be paid by my company. I had 16 invoices and the accounting department requires my signature on all.

I opened all of the invoices (all were PDFs) using the PDF viewer (not Docs to Go, nor Polaris, nor Adobe Reader). I used the pen to sign the invoices one by one and when I hit save on an invoice, it prompted me to save the file with the option to either a separate layer or use "flatten", which it recommended to make signatures less "copyable". I used the flatten option and it did save the signature as if it was part of the original pdf. This was great and exactly what I needed so that I could email the file back to the accounting department.

It's important to note that if you did try this with one of the other existing pdf options, it would not save the inking into the file, but would instead require you to save the image as a picture and then take that picture and use the Adobe Create PDF application (download from Market) to make the picture into a pdf. It does look pretty close to a standard pdf if you do it this way, but would then take several more steps and the image would have border areas showing on the final created PDFs. Using the PDF viewer way does not cause the borders since its not a picture. Also, it seems as Adobe Create PDF required an internet connection to work. PDF viewer did not require an internet connection.

In general, I do use Adobe create PDF to make word documents into PDFs and I usually use Adobe Reader to read PDFs, but I can't deny how quick, useful, and easy it was to sign using the standard PDF viewer.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

bouncing

Feb 28, 2011
kenkinder.com
Heh. A use case they actually got right in the ads for the Flyer.

Much unlike sending scribbled on screenshots instead of regular links for websites. If someone actually sent me a screenshot of a website instead of the url, I'd have to punch him.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Traveling for business in Europe this week and had to sign a bunch of vendor invoices to be paid by my company. I had 16 invoices and the accounting department requires my sigbaire on all.

I opened alm of the invoices (all were PDFs) using the PDF viewer (not Docs to Go, nor Polaris, nor Adobe Reader). I used the pen to sign the invoices one by one and when I hit save on an invoice, it prompted me to save the file with the oblong in either a separate layer or use "flatten", which it recommended to make signatures less "copyable". I used the flatten option and it did save the signature as if it was part of the original pdf. This was great and exactly what I needed so that I could email the file back to the accounting department.

It's important to note that if you did try this with one of the other existing pdf options, it would not save the inking into the file, but would instead require you to save the image as a picture and then take that picture and use the Adobe Create PDF application (download from Market) to make the picture into a pdf. It does look pretty close to a standard pdf if you do it this way, but would then take several more steps and the image would have border areas showing on the final created PDFs. Using the PDF viewer way does not cause the borders since its not a picture. Also, it seems as Adobe Create PDF required an internet connection to work. PDF viewer did not require an internet connection.

In general, I do use Adobe create PDF to make word documents into PDFs and I usually use Adobe Reader to read PDFs, but I can't deny how quick, useful, and easy it was to sign using the standard PDF viewer.

Thanks for pointing out Adobe Create PDF. I didn't know it existed before. Now if only they would make the Notes app save notes in a recognized file format -- I'm still desperately searching for a way to convert Notes to PDF without having to go through the Evernote cloud.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this! This is a great example of a case where the pen adds an additional layer of usability/functionality in real world use. I personally love the option of using the pen. Its been handy in a few different cases for me such as highlighting PDF documents for reference points.

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for pointing out Adobe Create PDF. I didn't know it existed before. Now if only they would make the Notes app save notes in a recognized file format -- I'm still desperately searching for a way to convert Notes to PDF without having to go through the Evernote cloud.

You can. I just tried creating a note directly from the Notes app using Adobe Create PDF and it worked. After installing the app, while in the note app, you then go to "share" and one of the options is Adobe Create PDF. It converted my note into a PDF in one step. If you get an error message...something like "error connecting to server" just keep hitting "terry" and it will go. The app seems to require Adobe's server to convert the file and if the server is busy, you might get that message.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You can. I just tried creating a note directly from the Notes app using Adobe Create PDF and it worked. After installing the app, while in the note app, you then go to "share" and one of the options is Adobe Create PDF. It converted my note into a PDF in one step. If you get an error message...something like "error connecting to server" just keep hitting "terry" and it will go. The app seems to require Adobe's server to convert the file and if the server is busy, you might get that message.

Ah, yeah, I see that option now. It kind of works -- only annoyance is that it doesn't include the Note title text in the PDF. But I guess that's a minor quibble.

seanspeng

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I opened all of the invoices (all were PDFs) using the PDF viewer (not Docs to Go, nor Polaris, nor Adobe Reader). I used the pen to sign the invoices one by one and when I hit save on an invoice, it prompted me to save the file with the option to either a separate layer or use "flatten", which it recommended to make signatures less "copyable".

I noticed when you do this (signing PDF file in PDF Viewer), the pen is actually very thick "highlighter" as HTC tech support calls it. There is no option to change the pen to super fine, or fine. It is just too thick to fit nicely on the signature line. Is this also your experience?

On the contrary, if you use pen in NOTE/EVERNOTE app, then you can have full configuration of the pen (most importantly the pen thickness), but in the PDF viewer, it sucks. This defeats the purpose of Magic Pen.

Could anyone please share your tips on this?

Thank you!

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, found the same thing; however, when i print the actual PDF it doesn't look as big/thick as you think it does based on the way it looks on screen.

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Another reason I'm loving this tablet, was on a conference call in someone's office and suggested that one of the attendees on the call create an analysis/spreadsheet that had some information to use at another meeting. That person just couldn't visualize what I was suggesting and because I wasn't in my office at my computer, i couldn't type up a sample and didn't want to "thumb" it out in docs 2 go. So instead, I took out my pen, "drew" the analysis out on the flyer, hit share using "Adobe Create PDF" and sent the image to the person on the other end of the line and then he understood what i meant.

ICU812

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered mine this morning. We are going to use this for the Square app that allows you to take credit cards. Our customers always sign the receipt for with their finger on our Galaxy tab but now they can use a pen. We are excited.

swixtwix

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered mine this morning. We are going to use this for the Square app that allows you to take credit cards. Our customers always sign the receipt for with their finger on our Galaxy tab but now they can use a pen. We are excited.
Hmm... There is a slight learning curve involved with the pen and the "palm rejection". I guess for something as brief as a signature it wouldn't come into play...

All I can say is "pen-tip" first, and get a screen protector.

Report back! Interested to hear the outcome.

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I now take mine to all of my business meetings and take all of my notes using the pen...so much more efficient than taking the traditional leather portfolio with letter size pad in it and then hoping later that I have the sheet of paper wherever I need it. Thanks to Evernote and the digital notes, my writing is every where I need it to be whenever I need/want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non