Hacking a G1 after getting rid of T-Mo

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
So I have a G1 and I'm upgrading to an Epic as soon as freakin Sprint will tell us when it's coming out.

Anyways, as soon as I do, obviously my SIM card won't work on my G1. And since I'll be on a different provider, I can't even use it as a backup in case I screw up my Epic. As such, I figured it'd be a great test-dummy to get myself used to rooting and flashing new ROMs.

So my question is: can I root the phone and use it without a working SIM?

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
wait... so that is a yes? Obviously no phone calls or data besides wifi, I just want to get rooting/ROM practice.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a rooted G1 that I use for testing and installing different ROMs on. I have never had T-Mobile service. Works just fine on Wi-Fi only. Just remember after flashing a ROM you have to press the 4 corners of the screen in clockwise order starting at the top left when it tells you to touch the little green android to begin. That will let you bypass the activation.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a rooted G1 that I use for testing and installing different ROMs on. I have never had T-Mobile service. Works just fine on Wi-Fi only. Just remember after flashing a ROM you have to press the 4 corners of the screen in clockwise order starting at the top left when it tells you to touch the little green android to begin. That will let you bypass the activation.

Sick, thanks. This will help me to know wtf I'm doing before I start flashing my Epic with new ROMs (if I find that absolutely necessary).