[HERO ROM] Gumbo ROM project - in Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

spj

Android Custom Creations
Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
No, thank you. This is the only way to see how things work for users that simply flash the zip. I've pushed and edited all the files on my machine and need people like yourself who are willing to put up with and report bugs, and patient enough to try the recommended fixes.

I hate beta testing publicly, but I had no choice this time. Be sure to send me your email address as well if you're interested in other beta testing.

yep anytime pm sent.

ziggy682

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Alright here's what I did. I did a clean wipe, and then installed Gumbo 1.5b ROM about a week ago. When Modaco released his custom kernel 1.2, I flashed the kernel only with no wipe. I had compcache working with that kernel, but was experiencing slowdown and poor battery life.

Tonight, I installed Gumbo's new kernel without doing a wipe. It's working flawlessly for me. I can verify that 2.6.27GK-0.2 gbhil@stovepipe appears under Setting-About Phone. Also, I can verify that using SetCPU definitely changes the setting in the scaling_governor file.

I know you're saying that if we installed Modaco's kernel, we should have to wipe, reinstall Gumbo ROM, and then flash Gumbo's kernel. I did not wipe, I just installed your kernel, and everything seems to be running perfectly. Blazing fast, in fact. I'm going to leave my phone in Performance mode tomorrow, and see how battery life is.

prguy85

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
OK Wiped and testing as we speak. Detected kernel correctly and just applied powersave on SetCPU. Yes, it's a bit sluggish at times but not offensively. Perhaps it has been answered but any automatic way to delete all the stock/Sprint NFL/Nav/TV apps?

prguy85

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
It seems to have picked up the pace in terms of sluggishness reported earlier, still Modaco latest custom kernel is a bit faster but you warned about this beforehand. Just waiting to test battery out with powersaver set.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Alright here's what I did. I did a clean wipe, and then installed Gumbo 1.5b ROM about a week ago. When Modaco released his custom kernel 1.2, I flashed the kernel only with no wipe. I had compcache working with that kernel, but was experiencing slowdown and poor battery life.

Tonight, I installed Gumbo's new kernel without doing a wipe. It's working flawlessly for me. I can verify that 2.6.27GK-0.2 gbhil@stovepipe appears under Setting-About Phone. Also, I can verify that using SetCPU definitely changes the setting in the scaling_governor file.

I know you're saying that if we installed Modaco's kernel, we should have to wipe, reinstall Gumbo ROM, and then flash Gumbo's kernel. I did not wipe, I just installed your kernel, and everything seems to be running perfectly. Blazing fast, in fact. I'm going to leave my phone in Performance mode tomorrow, and see how battery life is.

I'll have to do some more investigating. Paul calls some functions that I'm not using, and has kernel modules symlinked between directories. Seems to work without wiping for some, not so well for others. Thanks for the input.

Can you very that swap reads empty when running free from a terminal?

OK Wiped and testing as we speak. Detected kernel correctly and just applied powersave on SetCPU. Yes, it's a bit sluggish at times but not offensively. Perhaps it has been answered but any automatic way to delete all the stock/Sprint NFL/Nav/TV apps?

Sorry, have to delete the apks by hand. Popular demand said to include the ones I included. Be thankful everyone didn't want teeter in there too lol.

It seems to have picked up the pace in terms of sluggishness reported earlier, still Modaco latest custom kernel is a bit faster but you warned about this beforehand. Just waiting to test battery out with powersaver set.

Looking forward to the results. Thanks for testing everybody.

obannvi

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Yo gb, this is a weird one...I ended up flashing your kernel again over modacos kernel and it booted fine. LOL I dunno what the heck happened. Right now its set for performance.

prguy85

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
OK, tested this since 7am to 4pm with normal/moderate use. It ran smooth with not as much slowdown as anticipated (only some sluggishness at times on the App menu). Battery performance has been better than Modaco's custom kernel on v2.2. I right now have 50/100 according to Spare Parts. I have had Mobile Network turned on most of the time, although GPS and WiFI are turned off. I did some browsing as well as checking up Twidroid, checking in on Gowalla/Foursquare and used Pandora for 45 minutes on my car.

I have the SetCPU set to Powersave. Yet, I don't see how you got 50 or so hours of battery juice. At this rate, mine would last 8-9 more hours, good but not as stellar as your numbers. Do you have maximum Mhz set to lower than the default max?

Anyway, good work so far.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
OK, tested this since 7am to 4pm with normal/moderate use. It ran smooth with not as much slowdown as anticipated (only some sluggishness at times on the App menu). Battery performance has been better than Modaco's custom kernel on v2.2. I right now have 50/100 according to Spare Parts. I have had Mobile Network turned on most of the time, although GPS and WiFI are turned off. I did some browsing as well as checking up Twidroid, checking in on Gowalla/Foursquare and used Pandora for 45 minutes on my car.

I have the SetCPU set to Powersave. Yet, I don't see how you got 50 or so hours of battery juice. At this rate, mine would last 8-9 more hours, good but not as stellar as your numbers. Do you have maximum Mhz set to lower than the default max?

Anyway, good work so far.

Several reasons.
I get about 30 hours from a charge as it is, I can never be sure just when I'll have access to a charger so I'm running everything light (screen brightness, use gmail push, manually check twitter, etc etc)
I'm running Power Manager from the market to tweak even more settings
You don't have all the goodies yet :)

What I need is a solid opinion - better battery life or not?
And don't worry, you're getting the rest of the goodies once I can confirm that this works as expected (20-30% more battery life). That's why i asked for email addresses :p

So yea or nay on the battery life?

prguy85

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes I felt it improves the battery by say 20% at least of what I had before.

I will also try to incorporate less background check stuff to lessen battery.

YOu've got my email.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

spj

Android Custom Creations
Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Is anybody facing the issue with a long wait time, when booting up your phone.My home pc is alot faster...lol..:D

spj

Status
Not open for further replies.