[CDMA HERO ROM] Gumbo ROM 1.5c

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I've requested the other thread be closed. This is the final version of Gumbo ROM, and my final 1.5 ROM. All future development from me will be with the kernel, or 1.6 or higher. I've listened to the requests, and some changes have been made. Please read each section carefully and decide how you would like to install.

Core ROM
Gumbo ROM 1.5c FULL
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Gumbo-1.5c-signed.zip
This ROM has everything the stock ROM has. All HTC apps and widgets, all Sprint software. The apk files have been taken from the RUU, zipaligned and left as-is. Any and all themes designed for the Sprint Hero should flash right over without issue. The most asked for feature was plain SenseUI and let the user download themes of their liking.

Gumbo ROM 1.5c BARE
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Gumbo-1.5c-BARE-signed.zip
This ROM has the bare components of SenseUI. It is basically vanilla plus the following:
HTC keyboard+dictionary+calibration app
HTC settings
HTC dialer
HTC people app
HTC calendar
HTC Social Networking
It has no SenseUI look and feel, 3 homescreens and the Cupcake launcher. People asked for this, so I did my best to deliver.

Both of these are using the new kernel and ramhack with settings designed to give the best balance. Setcpu or the User defined settings pack below is highly recommended, but not mandatory.

Individual components
Addon package
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Gumbo-addons-signed.zip
This ROM contains the following:
Mount USB app for one click USB mount/unmount
Carmode - when active all incoming calls are answered by speakerphone
Quickboot - reboot normally or into recovery with this app
Smooth Calendar Widget - an alternative to the HTC Calendar widget that shows more than one entry.
Cube Launcher app from Samsung - a cool 3d cube media launcher
These applications will be installed into the /system partition to save space for other applications. They will not be updatable from the Market, but it saves app space and makes sure you have a working version for Gumbo 1.5c

SenseUI package
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Gumbo-Sense-signed.zip
This is Full SenseUI to install on Gumbo-1.5c-BARE should you have the need. This is stock look and feel, completely themeable

Sprint addons
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Gumbo-Sprint-signed.zip
All Sprint applications to flash over Gumbo-Bare should you have the need.

User defined CPU settings
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Gumbo-userconfig-signed.zip
This is for those that would rather not use setcpu, but would like to change their CPU and RAM parameters, Flash this over Gumbo 1.5c and pull the /system/init.d/gumbo.sh file to edit. The file is well commented and easy to understand how to edit.

Dropbear was removed from Gumbo. If enough people need it back, I can build a stand alone update for it. This was done to save space, as not many people who were asked were using Dropbear.

Apps2SD is still enabled and working as before,

This version includes the latest Gumbo kernel and RAM hacks. By default they are set to a balanced mix of speed, stability and battery life using settings reported to work the best by testers. Should you want to change these settings, install setcpu or the User defined CPU settings addon above, or use the echo command to change the parameters yourself.

Enjoy, and please ask if you need any clarification.

Why call it Gumbo?
People keep asking, so I'll answer here. Gumbo is a type of stew (a delicious type) that can be made with any leftovers or any type of meat and veggies. Hell, I've had rattlesnake gumbo and it was delicious. HTC/Google/Sprint basically took a mix of 1.5/1.6 and whatever else they had laying around to get Android to run on a CDMA radio. Combine a mix of everything with Google's food naming obsession, and Gumbo was the result.

Last edited:

spj

Android Custom Creations
Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
ok so the core is the same component as what you have at xda test rom? That's including the kernel.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
ok so the core is the same component as what you have at xda test rom? That's including the kernel.

No. What was at xda was a test for some specific users to get some battery and speed info. As I said in the thread at xda, that test is no longer supported and the link will soon be a 404. Installing this ROM is a little more work, but should be much more customizable with little to no performance loss.

spj

Android Custom Creations
Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
No. What was at xda was a test for some specific users to get some battery and speed info. As I said in the thread at xda, that test is no longer supported and the link will soon be a 404. Installing this ROM is a little more work, but should be much more customizable with little to no performance loss.

ok gotcha now.by the way i'm puertoblack at xda...lol i'll start installing the rom here...thanks :)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Going for the Gumbo BARE in a minute.

Great. If you could, nandroid it and try flashing the addon packages for me. Just interested in any errors flashing the ROMS.

I didn't have time to RUU and try them from a clean phone, so it's possible leftovers will be on my device and it will act differently.

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Flashed from Fresh 1.1, no wipe, then flashed Sense and everything seems normal. Tried the camera, wifi and bluetooth, browser and GPS. Gonna flash the crap... *ahem* I mean Sprint bloatware now.

tyrnight1

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Installed Bare and got a FC on Clock once I got to the main screen.. Clean install..

Im guessing its the android stock clock

all still works..

I installed Beautiful Widgets Home for clock after and all works..

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! You're a one man R&D department :)

No no no, thank YOU, just glad I could help.

Sprint: Nascar loads but I didnt get past the "favourite driver" part since I dont follow Nascar, Sprint Nav works, Sprint TV works, NFL Mobile loads, asks me for an update installs and works.

spj

Android Custom Creations
Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
installed bare with sense ui, no wipe.so far so good it's snappy landscape mode appears to be quick no force close issues

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Installed Bare and got a FC on Clock once I got to the main screen.. Clean install..

Im guessing its the android stock clock

all still works..

I installed Beautiful Widgets Home for clock after and all works..

Wiped and re-flashed again, after the Setup Wizard, I get the same thing .

process.com.htc.android.worldclock

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I think I know why. Stock clock probably isnt installed. Unfortunately my internet is down again and I'm posting from my hero. I'll get it fixed and upload as soon as I'm back online. I hate snow.

KerkedAgain

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
..k..per usual (and as expected) fanTASmal job on the ROM. I flashed, no-wipe, from your 1.5c test to the Bare version..added the addons and a clear keyboard..and am having not an issue!

Great job on the 'vanilla', though it's not my bag..i'm gonna add the Sense pack n see how things turn out..

*update* phone updated and full of Sense now..no hitches WHATsoever! Absatively beautimous!!

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
To fix clock on bare version-
Push these to /system/app:
DCSWeather.apk
DCSWeather.odex
Weather.apk
Weather.odex

They can be pulled from any Sprint Hero ROM, or from the sense addon. I'll have updated bare and sense packages up as soon as internet comes back.

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I didn't see any mention of the HTC widgets. Is there a way to get BARE with the widgets?

I don't know about others, but I would like an SSH server. Is DropBear the only choice, or are there others?

Also, this is what I get when I try to download BARE: The file link that you requested is not valid. **nm you're probably just putting the corrected version up like you said**

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I didn't see any mention of the HTC widgets. Is there a way to get BARE with the widgets?

I don't know about others, but I would like an SSH server. Is DropBear the only choice, or are there others?

Also, this is what I get when I try to download BARE: The file link that you requested is not valid. **nm you're probably just putting the corrected version up like you said**

Yep it's because i was uploading the correct version. Bare will DL now.

Need the full HTC Sense home to run the widgets, so Bare + widgets is impossible.

Any SSH server could probably be built, but Dropbear already is and it's small. I'll crank out an update to flash Dropbear back in this afternoon.