Battery drainage problem

Angelo921

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I have a weird problem happening with my Hero. Whenever im working and have the Hero in my pocket i go through 2 batteries but when I am off work and at home and even playing around with my phone i can go the whole day on one battery charge. The only thing that I can guess can be causing this is that where I work there a lot of dead or weak signal spots so it is possible that while the phone is in my pocket that its searching for a signal and this is causing my battery to drain quickly? If so is there a setting that I can disable, perhaps roaming???

thanks
Angelo

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Ask Sprint if they have a PRL that will be better for where you work.
In Settings, you can shut off mobile data. Voice and texts will still work, but no internet services.

Also make sure you have wifi off (and GPS too if the building has a lot of metal stored in it, or lots of metal framework) unless you need it while you're working.

You work in a normal job right? No big pieces of electric equipment or anything else that might put off radio signals or magnetic waves? Those can interfere BAD with cell signal and especially data. I've worked on some industrial MRI machines that would make your phone ring once you were within about 10 feet of them.

Angelo921

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Ask Sprint if they have a PRL that will be better for where you work.
In Settings, you can shut off mobile data. Voice and texts will still work, but no internet services.

Also make sure you have wifi off (and GPS too if the building has a lot of metal stored in it, or lots of metal framework) unless you need it while you're working.

You work in a normal job right? No big pieces of electric equipment or anything else that might put off radio signals or magnetic waves? Those can interfere BAD with cell signal and especially data. I've worked on some industrial MRI machines that would make your phone ring once you were within about 10 feet of them.

Yes its a normal job, I will check with Sprint..thanks

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem. Will turning off roaming help?

Might. Or it might make it worse. If the phone can get a good lock (even on another carriers tower) it will use less battery than always looking for a better connection that the Sprint tower it's on.

Try it and see is probably the best advice.

kehanra99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
restart your phone, put it in your pocket at work as usual, then take it out after a few hours and see what the uptime is. I wonder if something that usually uses data is constantly trying to connect/synch.

Angelo921

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
i worked for 12 hours today with GPS and WiFi off and ad to charge my battery halfway through the day. I can feel the phone getting warm in my pocket also so something must be draining the battery. I do admit I have my Gmail set to check for new email every 5 minutes. But im not sure thats the problem since thats the same setting I have when im not working and my battery life is soooo much better.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It sure sounds like the result of a bad signal. Phone is eating battery looking for a better tower to use. Did Sprint have anything useful to say?

Monkey Brawler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
This is easily a bad signal problem as said above, this will happen with weak or no signal EASY especialy if you have 3g running drop it to 1x, that should help quite a bit

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87