Creaky keys

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
A minor complaint that in no way affects my use of the Hero, but i just want to know if anyone else's is like it (because if it is only mine, i may consider exchanging it)

The right side of the keys where the power button is, that entire area is creaky (feel wise & makes creaky sounds) when compared to the left side, which feels solid.

Is this common?

Again, i'm just nitpicking and this does not affect any performance issue, but if i'm the only one with creaky keys, i may consider exchanging it.

THANKS

aerajan

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I didn't have a problem with any creakiness with my Hero but I was definitely having problems with static/crackling coming from the speaker that you hold up to your ear. I just exchanged mine at a Sprint store today and so far so good.

atlbuc

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I had this same issue, matter of fact I'm on my third hero. The 1st one kept dropping from EV to 1xrrt to no signal, the second had the Creaky keys. This one I think is a keeper very solid.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I exchanged it on Friday and i have the "Google" branded one and they keys and everything else are SOLID... no problems to report.

aerajan

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I exchanged it on Friday and i have the "Google" branded one and they keys and everything else are SOLID... no problems to report.

It's funny that you mentioned that your new Hero is "with Google" branded on the back. My first one that I had problems with didn't have the "with Google" branding on the back but my second one does and it definitely seems to be a more solid phone.

meangreengdub

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
So is there a difference in build quality of phones with the Google branding on the back? I'm considering getting this phone and would like to know what to look for.

aerajan

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
So is there a difference in build quality of phones with the Google branding on the back? I'm considering getting this phone and would like to know what to look for.

While I can't confirm that there's actually a difference, I believe there might be. Sites such as Andronica claim that there is definitely no difference between Heros tha have the "with Google" branding on them and Heros that don't. (Is your Sprint HTC Hero sporting the “with Google” branding? | Google Android Blog)

I can tell you that my first Hero that didn't have the "with Google" branding on the back had static/fuzziness coming from the earpiece and I felt that battery cover came off to easily with barely a touch. When I went to a Sprint store to exchange the phone I wound up with a new Hero that had the "with Google" branding on the back. I didn't request it or anything (don't think I could've anyway).

Here's what I noticed right away about the Hero with the "with Google" branding on the back besides the earpiece working correctly: the battery cover fit snugly and also seems to give a better grip because it seems like it has some sort of coating that's feels kind of like rubber. Granted I can't remember for sure if my original phone that didn't have the branding had the same coating on the battery cover but I definitely noticed on the one with the branding. My phone also says Rev A, however, according to an article from AndroidCentral this doesn't matter and is just a visual display bug. (http://www.androidcentral.com/does-your-sprint-htc-hero-have-google-logo).

What I'm wondering is this: Is Htc testing out two different manufacturers and using the branding to see which manufacturer is better? I know that sounds like a conspiracy theory and I have no information to back it up but it does make me wonder.

I do want to note however that I'm not trying to say that all Heros that don't have the "with Google" branding are defective. I'm sure there are many that are working just perfectly. This was just my experience.

Good luck with your decision.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
While I can't confirm that there's actually a difference, I believe there might be. Sites such as Andronica claim that there is definitely no difference between Heros tha have the "with Google" branding on them and Heros that don't. (Is your Sprint HTC Hero sporting the ?with Google? branding? | Google Android Blog)

I can tell you that my first Hero that didn't have the "with Google" branding on the back had static/fuzziness coming from the earpiece and I felt that battery cover came off to easily with barely a touch. When I went to a Sprint store to exchange the phone I wound up with a new Hero that had the "with Google" branding on the back. I didn't request it or anything (don't think I could've anyway).

Here's what I noticed right away about the Hero with the "with Google" branding on the back besides the earpiece working correctly: the battery cover fit snugly and also seems to give a better grip because it seems like it has some sort of coating that's feels kind of like rubber. Granted I can't remember for sure if my original phone that didn't have the branding had the same coating on the battery cover but I definitely noticed on the one with the branding. My phone also says Rev A, however, according to an article from AndroidCentral this doesn't matter and is just a visual display bug. (http://www.androidcentral.com/does-your-sprint-htc-hero-have-google-logo).

What I'm wondering is this: Is Htc testing out two different manufacturers and using the branding to see which manufacturer is better? I know that sounds like a conspiracy theory and I have no information to back it up but it does make me wonder.

I do want to note however that I'm not trying to say that all Heros that don't have the "with Google" branding are defective. I'm sure there are many that are working just perfectly. This was just my experience.

Good luck with your decision.

i'm not buying into the whole "conspiracy theory". I have one of the first 50k production builds (non-with google) and its solid as a brick with absolutely no static and the battery cover sticks like it has glue on it but it does display the EVOD rev O isue. I have 3 others friends who have the "with Google" handsets and they all show EVDO rev O issue as well and all dont have a static issue nor a battery cover issue.

When it all boils down IMHO the "with google" and "HTC" handsets are only differentiated by some simple screen printing.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to report back that my phone has absolutely ZERO problems since the exchange and am extremely satisfied with it.

I suggest anyone with a problem, even small, exchange it.

Monkey Brawler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I have the hero w/o the Google branding, i was a little sad when i noticed that because i am a person that is deeply inlove with google and all there contributions. On this topic however, my phone is solid as a brick, i have no problems aside from the 100% awake time wich is something i more or less was able to help but running on 1x when im not using data. I can say atm im not having near the problems everyone else is having with there phones and truly love this cdma masterpiece.