Which App for tasks?

Mattx

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
I use Outlook 2007 on my desktop PC to organize my life. I set up my to do items in tasks. I need some recommendations for an app to sync my Outlook tasks to the Hero. Appreciate all suggestions.

anon(697)

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Google is really missing task integration at the moment - there's is no default app for synching to Google Tasks and there is no default task app either.

You can use something like CompanionLink to sync Outlook items to Google, but tasks just sync to the Google Calendar rather than to Tasks.

The only app I have found to sync Google Tasks to the phone to gtask, but this lacks a widget so is less useful than it could be.

I'm looking for something better too.

doublebullout

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I've tried Astrid, Touchdown, and gTasks. Astrid has a ton of great features, but it only syncs with RTM. Astrid has a widget, but it only shows the top 3 tasks. gTasks does sync with Google Tasks just fine, but it's bare bones as it can be. (Does make it faster to enter tasks than Astrid, though.) You may want to try Touchdown, as it syncs tasks through Exchange.

I'm sticking with gTasks for now.

Mattx

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks folks. I do not have access to Exchange so that is out. I am trying RTM to see if it can replace Outlook for tasks and then I could use something like Astrid. I saw one review that indicated the new Moment will sync Outlook tasks. This could force a change to Moment, although the reviews indicate that the Hero is a better unit.

doublebullout

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
OK, tried several more task apps. Task List is very nice, with a tabbed interface for categories. It's very simple and easy to use. It does not at present support reminders, but this is coming in a future update according to the developer. I also gave Astrid another go, and I think I'm sticking with it. The interface is very click-happy -- click here to set this, click again here, click some more there, etc -- but the notification/reminder system is great.

So I'd currently rank the ones I've tried like so:

1. Astrid
2. Task List
3. gTasks
4. Note Me (not a true task manager, but can be used like one)
5. Touchdown

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Remember the Milk isn't free though to sync I thought

I hate astrid's widget always looking funky.

Gtasks works great. I may buy it since it's 40% off, but I haven't seen an ad in the free version.

Hjfcfo

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
OMG! RTM! Nirvana! Seamlessly sync'd outlook 2010 64-bit tasks with RTM web site, offline with google gears, and the iPad, instantaneously. Getting an android phone tomorrow. Can't wait! Thank you for this post! :)

TJude

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I've tried Astrid, Touchdown, and gTasks. Astrid has a ton of great features, but it only syncs with RTM. Astrid has a widget, but it only shows the top 3 tasks. gTasks does sync with Google Tasks just fine, but it's bare bones as it can be. (Does make it faster to enter tasks than Astrid, though.) You may want to try Touchdown, as it syncs tasks through Exchange.

I'm sticking with gTasks for now.

GTask does not sync with outlook though! Is that not right?

I've tried Plaxo and MyPhoneExplorer. Neither of those do the job, although they're both nice, they're useless.