Talk Me off the Ledge

skidooman93

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh mighty Android lovers I need some motivation to keep my MT4G.

I have been a blackberry user for years. But yesterday I picked up a MT4G to be my replacement. Replacing my trusty 9700. This past summer I tried an orginal droid, and a droid incredible but couldn't stand either. I also rely hevily on UMA or wifi calling when at home. Verizon's huge network still did not provide any better service in my home than t-mobile. So I have decided to stay with t-mobile because of lower costs and equal network in this area (-3g coverage). Tmobile says 3g is on it ways around here but I will believe it when I see it.

So I have been waiting for a touch screen blackberry for t-mobiles network with UMA. I am sick of waiting now. And when I found out the MT4G does wifi calling it seemed a match made in heaven.

Well as it turns out maybe not so. This phone is 100X better than the 2 droids I had. But I have serious problems with it.

For 1 has anyone installed IHEART Radio on there MT4G. I installed and could not get it to connect while on the road today. I drive around 1000 miles a week and use Iheart when out of range of my favorite station. So Iheart is a must. At home tonight it connects to my wifi and works just fine.

And the othe big problem is battery life. Today I got about 6 hours with moderate internet usage and about 20 phone calls of about 30 minutes total. Is this all the better android phones can do for battery life?
I could use my 9700 hard, more phone calls, more internet use, a few text messages, and have 75% of my batter left when I get home after 10+ hours of driving.

I love this phone it does what I want it to do, the screen is real nice for the web sites I need to view through out the day, but come on the battery has to be better. And I must have Iheart Radio.

Lastly is there any free software for phone back ups, that will reload all of the settings, Apps, and customization I have done to it. I backed up my blackberrys about once per month. I was so nice to be able to change phones and have everything set up the same as the old phone.

Thanks

Android Beginner, Newbie, whatever you want to call me.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
So you want motivation to keep the MT... well, I guess the first question would be - what is the alternative? Back to BB?

I rocked the original pearl for almost 2 years, then unlocked a BB 9000 for use on TMO. I was a very heavy BB user, and will forever miss the awesome keyboard and the shortcuts and all the $$ I dumped in apps to keep it up with the competition -- there really wasn't much any other phone could do that my BB couldn't....but lately, it's hit it's limits and giving me random memory errors, needing multiple alt+shift+del restarts a day..etc etc. So trust me - I know where you're coming from...as do many others here.

Based on what I've seen, batt power on this phone is equal or a little better than most android phones. That's just something you're going to have to get used to. Of course you can modify settings to get the most out of the battery...but you'll never get what you did with the BB... but are you willing to give up the power of the MT just for that reason? Considering you spend so much time in the car, keep the phone plugged in while you're driving. That should take care of your batt problems for most the day right there if you drive that much. Soon we will have a nice car dock, making charging all that much easier.

Regarding the IHEART radio app (never used it, no idea what it is) -- I'm sure whatever problem(s) exist with this will be worked out. This phone is a week old...and seems to be running pretty solid for most people. Samsung's galaxy s series was released with gps connectivity issues....the G2 decided to reboot on owners randomly.. Just because your radio app doesn't work now doesn't mean it wont soon enough (hopefully).

I think you should give it more time.

(not sure about FREE backup...but let me know if you run across anything!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa