Returned a rooted HTC One GPe for replacement... Does it void the warranty?

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

So I exchanged my original HTC One GPe for a replacement due to dead pixels (unfortunately the replacement has dead pixels too, so I'm getting another replacement...). On that original One, I unlocked the bootloader, flashed a custom recovery, and flashed a rooted custom ROM. I didn't even think to try and return it to stock before sending it in...

Anyways, I've heard differing stories on whether this will "void" the warranty. Since the One is a GPe device, isn't that what it's meant for? I also read somewhere about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that states somewhere that the warranty is only void if whatever you did to it caused the defect you're returning it for. In my case, flashing a custom ROM and everything else did not cause the dead pixels, so under this act, it does not void the warranty (there was a whole video about this on XDA).

Furthermore, I asked a Google Support Rep about it, and she said that it's possible I'll be charged because rooting apparently voids the warranty.

I'm confused on this matter. I really really do not want to get charged an extra $600 just for sending in a perfectly working device with a hardware defect. Does anyone have any experience with sending rooted/unlocked devices back to Google? What happened?

Thanks!

TheRealLawnGnome

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I returned my HTC One (through T-mobile so obviously not GPe), and it was unlocked with a custom rom, but before returning it, i blew everything away, erased the cache, deleted everything so it wouldnt even load the bootloader. and i wasnt charged a fee for a "void warranty". Thats my only experience, but it also says when you are rooting the HTC One that you are voiding the warranty, so itll be interesting to see if they charge you or not. Best of luck man!

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I returned my HTC One (through T-mobile so obviously not GPe), and it was unlocked with a custom rom, but before returning it, i blew everything away, erased the cache, deleted everything so it wouldnt even load the bootloader. and i wasnt charged a fee for a "void warranty". Thats my only experience, but it also says when you are rooting the HTC One that you are voiding the warranty, so itll be interesting to see if they charge you or not. Best of luck man!

Interesting... I really hope I'm not charged. Do you think I'd be charged the full $600? I know carriers are trying to lock down on rooting due to unauthorized apps and what not, but Google? Really? I can't see them doing that...

I told the lady at Google Support that I could have unrooted it if I knew I was going to be charged, and that if I do get charged, I'm going to contest it.

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I had hardware issues with my rooted HTC One and I returned it rooted, but with a stock recovery. I was not charged. Returning an HTC One to true stock requires S-Off in order to remove the tampered indicator on the boot screen. You should be fine. If I was you I would have kept quite to the rep about the rooting. Again, I was in an identical situation and was not charged. Anyways, returning a GPe to stock is a bit harder and more involved than returning a true Nexus device to stock.

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I had hardware issues with my rooted HTC One and I returned it rooted, but with a stock recovery. I was not charged. Returning an HTC One to true stock requires S-Off in order to remove the tampered indicator on the boot screen. You should be fine. If I was you I would have kept quite to the rep about the rooting. Again, I was in an identical situation and was not charged. Anyways, returning a GPe to stock is a bit harder and more involved than returning a true Nexus device to stock.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it to the rep, but I wanted to know if I could possibly get charged. You don't think the rep would "tell" whoever that my phone was rooted? Or somehow put it in the notes that it's rooted? That rep that handled my new replacement (my third) was not the same rep that handled the replacement of the original rooted HTC One GPe, by the way.

Exactly, which is why I just returned it the way I had it, rooted and all.

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. Worst case scenario they charge you and you get the old phone back. It isn't worthless, you can sell it on eBay for a profit to an international buyer, even with dead pixels.

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. Worst case scenario they charge you and you get the old phone back. It isn't worthless, you can sell it on eBay for a profit to an international buyer, even with dead pixels.

Yeah true, I'm not too worried about it. That's what would happen? So essentially, I'd have two HTC One GPe's? Or would I just be paying $1200 for one phone? Haha.

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. I feel like them not sending you back the old phone would be outright theft, though.

Good point. It'd make sense if they did return it to me though, as you said. We'll see what happens.

By the way, thank you for your help! I already feel better about this lol.

Last edited:

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah dude, again, I wouldn't worry. If there are hardware problems with your device, chances are they will scrap it for parts, or replace tghe defective part and resell it as refurbished. In that case they will do a total reflash of the software.

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah dude, again, I wouldn't worry. If there are hardware problems with your device, chances are they will scrap it for parts, or replace tghe defective part and resell it as refurbished. In that case they will do a total reflash of the software.

Glad to hear it. I figured that's what they'd do. Thanks again!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

likeag8

Banned
Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

how did you do that? i am having issues with my gpe one and want to try what you did.

likeag8

Banned
Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Interesting... I really hope I'm not charged. Do you think I'd be charged the full $600? I know carriers are trying to lock down on rooting due to unauthorized apps and what not, but Google? Really? I can't see them doing that...

I told the lady at Google Support that I could have unrooted it if I knew I was going to be charged, and that if I do get charged, I'm going to contest it.

Do you by chance have the contact information for Google Support? And did they send you a new or refurbished phone?

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Any word on the issue? Did they charge you? If so, how much?

Wow.. Sorry it's been so long haha. Not even sure this is relevant anymore. Got the 5s, so I haven't been on these forums. And no, they did not charge me. But it was a huge hassle. First off, the credit didn't show up on the credit card bill that it should have. Contacted Google numerous times and finally got it resolved, with the $599 credit issued on the next bill. Glad this fiasco is over! Now I'm thinking about this mysterious HTC M8....

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I had two other replacement HTC One GPe's, all with similar issues. So I asked for a refund, and that's the credit I was talking about above. It didn't show up, so I had to call Google to get it sorted out, and I was eventually credited the $599. And never charged for the rooted One GPe.