What to do when Google will not honor the warranty? They have my phone, but won't send a replacement

Veazer

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
My original 4XL died and was sent in for replacement mid September. The replacement arrived but had a damaged screen. Google issued another RMA, but after receiving the damaged replacement back they say they don't have any Pixel 4XL in stock and that I will need to wait until they do. Months later, they still claim they have none in stock. I have repeatedly reminded them of the clear obligations to repair, replace or refund as stated in their warranty but they just say my only option is to wait. I am over 100 days into this since the process started. They refuse to refund or give me any other options.

This is beyond absurd, I'm truly astounded at the ridiculously bad customer service. I've had decent experiences with Google in the past with previous devices, but not this time. Given their ongoing refusal to cooperate, I feel like my only option is to begin the process of a filing a small claims case against them. It will be a major PITA, but what else can I do? I feel like I've been scammed by a giant corporation.

Anyone else ever encountered this or have any suggestions?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
My original 4XL died and was sent in for replacement mid September. The replacement arrived but had a damaged screen. Google issued another RMA, but after receiving the damaged replacement back they say they don't have any Pixel 4XL in stock and that I will need to wait until they do. Months later, they still claim they have none in stock. I have repeatedly reminded them of the clear obligations to repair, replace or refund as stated in their warranty but they just say my only option is to wait. I am over 100 days into this since the process started. They refuse to refund or give me any other options.

This is beyond absurd, I'm truly astounded at the ridiculously bad customer service. I've had decent experiences with Google in the past with previous devices, but not this time. Given their ongoing refusal to cooperate, I feel like my only option is to begin the process of a filing a small claims case against them. It will be a major PITA, but what else can I do? I feel like I've been scammed by a giant corporation.

Anyone else ever encountered this or have any suggestions?
If you paid on a credit card try and do a charge back. I believe as long as you pay for at least £100 on a credit card the company is partially liable for the purchase. Hope that works where you live as well.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow I never ran into issues with RMA's before and surprised they have not even one refurbished Pixel 4 XL seems kind of strange to me.

Also surprised they haven't ordered to send you at least a temporary phone like even a cheap pixel 4a for the time being to have you covered until they get a pixel 4 xl. Really just surprised they haven't done anything for all this time.

You should take your story to reddit and post it on the pixel forums and expose them to get attention.

Good luck hope it works out.

Veazer

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
What state are you in, and where did you send the broken replacement?

I'm in Washington state, the damaged phone was sent to Grapevine, Texas. Google sent a PDF with the return label pre-filled with all addresses and shipping details.

I contacted the Washington State Office of the Attorney General last week to ask if I can file a complain against a non-Washington company and they said I can. I need to gather all correspondence and documentation and submit online. She said they review the submitted complaints and then contact the company and attempt to negotiate a resolution.

Veazer

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
If you paid on a credit card try and do a charge back. I believe as long as you pay for at least £100 on a credit card the company is partially liable for the purchase. Hope that works where you live as well.

Unfortunately the phone was originally purchased by another person so I can't do that. I've also been warned that executing a charge back against Google has caused people to lose their Google account. Depending on the direction this goes, I suppose that could happen anyway. It's probably time for me to backup my account.

Last edited:

Veazer

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow I never ran into issues with RMA's before and surprised they have not even one refurbished Pixel 4 XL seems kind of strange to me.
I've only had one hardware issue before, a Nexus tablet screen delaminating, and Google promptly took care of it.

Regarding the lack of available Pixel 4 XL phones, in December they actually told me that they were out of stock "due to Black Friday sales". I reminded them that BF occurred more than one month after they were obligated to send me a replacement. I kept pressing them on the issue but they said they were just reporting what another agent told them.

Also surprised they haven't ordered to send you at least a temporary phone like even a cheap pixel 4a for the time being to have you covered until they get a pixel 4 xl. Really just surprised they haven't done anything for all this time.
Being the typical Android enthusiast, I've got a stockpile of old phones to use but I agree they should have offered something. Given that it has been three months, a responsible company would have offered a new phone of their latest model, not that I really want a Pixel 5.

The irony is that Google's bizarre reluctance to act has cost them far more than if they simply cut me a check for original purchase price when they realized they have no incoming stock. I'm the family tech geek and regularly setup family members with Google devices and Google services, nearly a dozen phones so far and 3 people moved to Google Fi. My role as a Google promoter is done. I already have permission from family members to move them off Google Fi to another MVNO and this will be my last month of YouTube premium. I vote with my wallet, and when a company I've been loyal to sh*ts on me I take my business elsewhere. If that seems extreme, keep in mind that these are older family members who will be fine with T-Mobile service. Also remember this isn't a company that refused warranty service, they instructed me to send my phone to them and then they kept it.

You should take your story to reddit and post it on the pixel forums and expose them to get attention.

Good luck hope it works out.
Thank you. I suppose Reddit is worth a shot, I'm willing to do whatever I can to get this resolved. i truly want resolution more than attention but you can imagine how frustrated I am by now.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
You are on top of things.
Aside from calling Google cs and trying to get a Mgr who is able to solve the problem, you might consider a backup phone. Used on swappa is usually not a scam. Good luck.

Veazer

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you.

I'm OK for backup phones, I just have a weird hatred for setting up phones that I don't intend to use for a long period. I also realized I have a hatred of multi-billion dollar companies stealing my $1000 gadget.

I've tried escalating my case to managers or tier 2 support, but they never let me communicate directly with them and all communication happens through the low-level support person. It's the same each time: "We will look into it and get back to you." --> 2 day delay --> "Sorry, there's nothing we can do at this time."

Veazer

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure Google is aware they can buy one, but not buying one is even cheaper. I find it very hard to believe that Google has not had any Pixel 4 XL phones for a few months.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure Google is aware they can buy one, but not buying one is even cheaper. I find it very hard to believe that Google has not had any Pixel 4 XL phones for a few months.

Like you mentioned, any "respectable" company would have given you a pixel 5 and apologized for any inconvenience.... but I'm noticing a trend with Google's respectability..... it seems to be plummeting. I know I've lost a fair bit of respect for them over the last year. And this is coming from a die hard pixel fan :eek:

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the lack of available Pixel 4 XL phones, in December they actually told me that they were out of stock "due to Black Friday sales". I reminded them that BF occurred more than one month after they were obligated to send me a replacement. I kept pressing them on the issue but they said they were just reporting what another agent told them.

They stopped selling the Pixel 4xl before Black Friday, so that was never a factor anyways ...

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Depending on how much free time you have, take them to small claims court. Could be fun.
Might not. Check to see if the jurisdiction is one of many that lobbyists have pushed thru laws that allow defendants to unilaterally transfer a small claim case to a BYOA (bring your own attorney) court.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not defending their current actions, however I'm actually surprised they are doing anything at all since some OEMs only cover the original owner. There are also cases on Reddit were Google attempts to not honor warranty transfer unless you can provide the original order number and email.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm not defending their current actions, however I'm actually surprised they are doing anything at all since some OEMs only cover the original owner. There are also cases on Reddit were Google attempts to not honor warranty transfer unless you can provide the original order number and email.

Correct, if you have the original order number you can get warranty transferred and then Google has to honor that. Without an order number it seems there are issues. I have had two warranty repairs done but in both cases I purchased the phone directly from Google but I have also transferred the warranty for other Google phones when I purchased those on Swappa.
@op Good luck with your efforts.

Veazer

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
They could have used that reasoning initially to argue that they are not obligated from honoring the warranty, but at the point they have instructed me to to send the phone back that is immaterial. There is no valid reason for Google to instruct me to send the phone for replacement, then change their mind and keep it while endlessly stringing me along. If it's actually true that they haven't had any in stock, they are well past the point where they should have compensated me another way.

To be clear, this is worse than not doing anything at all. I would rather have been denied a replacement and had a phone with some screen scratches that was otherwise usable. Even if they sent a replacement tomorrow, the clock has been ticking throughout this ordeal and the limited lifetime of usability dictated by software updates and patches grows smaller and the phone continues to depreciate in value - in their hands.

Veazer

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
They stopped selling the Pixel 4xl before Black Friday, so that was never a factor anyways ...

I considered that, but it is possible they were still sending remaining stock to other retailers after they removed it from the Google Store. My main reason for repeating their statement was to show that they are not giving an accurate account of why I haven't been provided with a replacement.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz