Almost got the One through T-Mobile, then my credit screwed me over

SuperDave479

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me started about my credit. Let's just say it's because of my ex-wife and leave it at that.

Anyway, I went through the whole process of trying to order the One this morning on T-Mobile's site as a new customer and was almost finished when my $99 up front ($140 with tax) charge went to $275 or so + a $75 deposit because of my credit. It says that more of it will go towards the phone getting paid off, but the problem is, I have $140, and not $350. I won't be able to do that anytime soon.

So, with all that being said, do I have any other options for getting this on T-Mobile that would cost less? I'll have a bit more money next week that I can put with it, but not that much. I was looking forward to not having a contract, but I know I may have to go with one if I go with a 3rd party. The main thing is that I have Verizon now, but really want the One and would like to lower my monthly bill. That would have definitely happened with the new Simple Choice plans after the phone is paid off. I could just wait longer to get the phone, but if I get it by the end of the month, I can get the $100 back from HTC for sending in my old phone (I registered for this at the beginning of the month).

Anyone know about sales anywhere else? Are the old plans good too? Is there any chance that if I got it from a T-Mobile store, that I could get closer to the original deal, regardless of my credit? I used to be a T-Mobile customer, if that helps. I don't know what to do.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me started about my credit. Let's just say it's because of my ex-wife and leave it at that.

Anyway, I went through the whole process of trying to order the One this morning on T-Mobile's site as a new customer and was almost finished when my $99 up front ($140 with tax) charge went to $275 or so + a $75 deposit because of my credit. It says that more of it will go towards the phone getting paid off, but the problem is, I have $140, and not $350. I won't be able to do that anytime soon.

So, with all that being said, do I have any other options for getting this on T-Mobile that would cost less? I'll have a bit more money next week that I can put with it, but not that much. I was looking forward to not having a contract, but I know I may have to go with one if I go with a 3rd party. The main thing is that I have Verizon now, but really want the One and would like to lower my monthly bill. That would have definitely happened with the new Simple Choice plans after the phone is paid off. I could just wait longer to get the phone, but if I get it by the end of the month, I can get the $100 back from HTC for sending in my old phone (I registered for this at the beginning of the month).

Anyone know about sales anywhere else? Are the old plans good too? Is there any chance that if I got it from a T-Mobile store, that I could get closer to the original deal, regardless of my credit? I used to be a T-Mobile customer, if that helps. I don't know what to do.

Options:

1. Save more money to get the phone from t-mobile at what they want to charge you.
2. Any chance you could sell your current device to add money? If so, do it.
3. I understand the contract free part but if a person is going to doing the monthly thing then it's almost like a commitment to pay back for 2 years anyway so...
4. Port to Sprint (if sufficient service). They are offering $100 off for people porting in and then you also get your HTC $100.

SuperDave479

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the great response.

I might do #1, but the only problem is I won't be able to get the $100 from HTC if I don't do it by the end of the month and I don't think I can have that much money by then.

2. Yes, but it would be hard to do so before I get the new one. Plus, the $100 from HTC is for trading the old phone anyway.

3. You have a good point. My only reason for wanting to get out of contracts is I like to get new devices sooner than 20-24 months. With T-Mobile, I could pay the device off early, then upgrade before that time without having to pay full cost upfront. Plus the bill would be less once it was paid off.

4. All the above being said, the Sprint deal is a very good one, and I could take advantage of the $100 HTC offer this way, so it's very tempting. I just wonder if the service is decent enough here. I expect Sprint (and all of the others) won't be as good as my current Verizon service, but I don't care much about download speeds and staying with Verizon is not an option because I can't get the One and discount upgrades are now only at 24 months.

So far I'm leaning toward the Sprint option. You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I might do #1, but the only problem is I won't be able to get the $100 from HTC if I don't do it by the end of the month and I don't think I can have that much money by then.

2. Yes, but it would be hard to do so before I get the new one. Plus, the $100 from HTC is for trading the old phone anyway.

3. You have a good point. My only reason for wanting to get out of contracts is I like to get new devices sooner than 20-24 months. With T-Mobile, I could pay the device off early, then upgrade before that time without having to pay full cost upfront. Plus the bill would be less once it was paid off.

4. All the above being said, the Sprint deal is a very good one, and I could take advantage of the $100 HTC offer this way, so it's very tempting. I just wonder if the service is decent enough here. I expect Sprint (and all of the others) won't be as good as my current Verizon service, but I don't care much about download speeds and staying with Verizon is not an option because I can't get the One and discount upgrades are now only at 24 months.

So far I'm leaning toward the Sprint option. You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks.

Yeah you're bill would be less once it's paid off but if you plan on getting another device and not pay full retails then you'll be carrying that $20 for longer LOL. On a contract, you can just sell your current device to go towards full retails of the new one. For the most part you'll come out of pocket the amount you would on an upgrade. That's why contract don't bother a lot of people. But I understand what you're saying. And yeah, Sprint does have a good option right now. You can probably come with with a HTC One for $99 bucks with the $100 credit they're giving. I mean you can net fully (after HTC $100) on a new device with unlimited service for a reasonable price. Check it out. Good luck.

dragone7e

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Don't mean to preach, but I don't think you need the latest and greatest if the situation does not allow.
If I'm in your situation, I'd probably save some money for a few month first, and by then the phone will be a bit cheaper too.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to sound preachy either, but it might sound preachy anyway. Just consider this to be well intentioned advice, and you can take it or leave it as you see fit.

If you literally only have 140 dollars to your name, and this is typical of your finances at this point in your life, then don't buy a new cell phone.

I very humbly suggest, and hope you take this in the spirit I intend it, that you live as cheaply as you can and save your money. And I don't just mean until you have enough for the phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Check out sensorly to get a better picture of how your Sprint coverage will be. Be warned though unless your towers have been upgraded recently (some network vision towers are 3G only at this time) Sprint 3G can be notoriously slow.

One other thing, the beauty of Sprint is that anywhere Verizon has coverage you have coverage. Just don't roam excessively or you will get the boot.

zdecke

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

I called HTC today about the $100 trade-up deal that you are speaking of. What they told me is that you'd have to buy the HTC One at full retail for sufficient "proof of purchase." So, in other words, you wouldn't be able to go put $100 down on the phone (and pay the rest off over 2 years) and still quality for the $100 back from HTC since you really haven't bought the phone until after the two years.

Could be wrong, but that's just what I was told.

SuperDave479

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I called HTC today about the $100 trade-up deal that you are speaking of. What they told me is that you'd have to buy the HTC One at full retail for sufficient "proof of purchase." So, in other words, you wouldn't be able to go put $100 down on the phone (and pay the rest off over 2 years) and still quality for the $100 back from HTC since you really haven't bought the phone until after the two years.

Could be wrong, but that's just what I was told.

Well, that's not what the website was saying when I did it. I looked at the full terms and conditions and don't see anything about it on there either: HTC One? Upgrade Promotion Terms of Use. | HTC Trade Up Program

Here's hoping you got a clueless rep. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't this way as the cell provider already paid the full price of the phone to HTC anyway.

As for Sprint, it turns out I'm in a "limited coverage area" and would be in very serious risk of being kicked out of Sprint for using roaming all the time.

As for the earlier money concerns, my money is just tight until the end of the month. I'm doing ok otherwise. I appreciate where everyone is coming from on the money situation but it's all good.

So anyway, as it turns out, My wife and I are going to be getting AT&T U-Verse TV and internet soon as it is anyway and we can get a bundle discount if I get wireless from them. That, and she works for the state and will be able to get an additional discount because of that. So I'm going to get the One from AT&T the coming week and that will work out well for us. Hopefully, I'll be able to do the $100 back from HTC, but it'll be ok if it doesn't work. I'll be in a contract, but it's ok, because they have all the phones that I'm interested in, whereas Verizon hasn't the last couple of years. Even starting the contract there is cheaper than that whole T-Mobile situation and AT&T is bringing LTE here this summer.

Thanks for all the time and great responses guys, I really appreciate you all taking the time and being thoughtful.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non