Why won't my phone allow me to send a video through text?

jusmebabe

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So you film a xxx for the significant other. Just upload to Youtube and whala..
Yea that makes alot of sense. :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
So you film a xxx for the significant other. Just upload to Youtube and whala..
Yea that makes alot of sense. :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Use something like Dropbox for "look at my junk" videos. Secure and easily deleted.

I'd also like to add that anyone truly concerned about privacy will doubtless know that sending anything over sms/mms gives access to your network provider to that message. Now we all would love to trust att, vzw, sprint, etc. to not share that with anyone but there's no reason to think that will always be the case. More food for thought.

Last edited:

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Use something like Dropbox for "look at my junk" videos. Secure and easily deleted.

I'd also like to add that anyone truly concerned about privacy will doubtless know that sending anything over sms/mms gives access to your network provider to that message. Now we all would love to trust att, vzw, sprint, etc. to not share that with anyone but there's no reason to think that will always be the case. More food for thought.

You sound like you really want to defend the limitations of the phone which clearly was poor execution on htc part. I don't care if my 10 second video that I want to send is good quality. I want the option to do it. I want the option to shorten a length of a video and text it right from my library and I want the phone to convert it to mms video resolution. Not some work around which clearly I know will have better quality. I'm not trying to share a film. I'm sharing a video clip that's not really that important. Wow! This is why some android users need to admit things to themselves. It's not the os that's limiting it. It's the phones and the companies lack of adding features when using a very capable os. Only htc is at fault. Stop bringing up the iPhone it sounds ridiculous. The galaxies and nexus 4 and pretty much every other phone also allow the option htc left out. The phone is crippled like it or not, admit it or not.

Posted via My Developer's Edition HTC one

srt05wv

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it is not the provider causing this, its the phone itself. I have a POS at&t atrix 2 that I can send a video through text at a lower quality of send it through email or any other ways if needed for high quality. But again, I will suffer that little bit of a hassle to upload to youtube or dropbox to get the beautiful design of the HTC One. Yeah it sucks, oh well.

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
You're failing to admit to yourself that the phone is crippled. The option should be there. You shouldn't be forced to try new ways of sending things. This is why this phone fails as a whole.

The phone fails as a whole because it lacks this one option? I had an iphone and never sent video via text because it took forever to send and ended up looking like garbage to the person I sent it to anyway.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it is not the provider causing this, its the phone itself. I have a POS at&t atrix 2 that I can send a video through text at a lower quality of send it through email or any other ways if needed for high quality. But again, I will suffer that little bit of a hassle to upload to youtube or dropbox to get the beautiful design of the HTC One. Yeah it sucks, oh well.

I won't. I've pretty much decided a crippled phone is no better than a Mercedes with 3 wheels.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
The phone fails as a whole because it lacks this one option? I had an iphone and never sent video via text because it took forever to send and ended up looking like garbage to the person I sent it to anyway.

One of the main things people use phones for is to mms. Or quickly send a pic or video. If you think that this phone doesn't fail for the average user you're mistaken.

BoredandTattooed

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone is certainly not crippled due to this.but it is complete crap.. Take a full HD res video on just about any android, or any OS, and you can't send it...

It's like a rev limitor or pill chip in a car.. why make it capable to do one thing, then restrict it.. all phones do it... We're getting scammed..

I saw someone say, what about xxx to significant others....both Use WhatsApp, it's cross platform, and 20mb video limit...

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
One of the main things people use phones for is to mms. Or quickly send a pic or video. If you think that this phone doesn't fail for the average user you're mistaken.

I would consider myself an average user. I know the limitations of sending video via text message and I have found other ways to more effectively send them. I don't know anyone who sends video via text as they end up with horrible quality on the other end. Agree to disagree I guess. It would be nice if the option were included, yes, but the phone doesn't fail completely because it lacks that one option.

srt05wv

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I won't. I've pretty much decided a crippled phone is no better than a Mercedes with 3 wheels.

Well let me tell you why I really dont care. I had a friend record a video of us in my car while driving and I texted him and told him to send me the video. As I tried playing the video it was such horrible quality I didnt even want to watch it.. I had to have him email it to me or upload it to youtube just so I could enjoy watching it... Yes its great to have the feature to just send the video through text but if you have to watch it in low quality its not that big of a deal breaker to me..

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
You sound like you really want to defend the limitations of the phone which clearly was poor execution on htc part. I don't care if my 10 second video that I want to send is good quality. I want the option to do it. I want the option to shorten a length of a video and text it right from my library and I want the phone to convert it to mms video resolution. Not some work around which clearly I know will have better quality. I'm not trying to share a film. I'm sharing a video clip that's not really that important. Wow! This is why some android users need to admit things to themselves. It's not the os that's limiting it. It's the phones and the companies lack of adding features when using a very capable os. Only htc is at fault. Stop bringing up the iPhone it sounds ridiculous. The galaxies and nexus 4 and pretty much every other phone also allow the option htc left out. The phone is crippled like it or not, admit it or not.

No, like I said. I just see the problem differently. Be upset with it if you must , or realize you are trying to make fire with sticks when I'm trying to hand you a lighter.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
All I'm saying is the average consumer will realize this and return the phone or sway others against it. Mass market appeal doesn't come from not allowing a feature that's in every other phone. Tell the 20 year old that buys this phone that. Let's be honest a phones only popular when that's whose buying it. Isn't that the point of htc selling a product like this. They're hoping for mass market appeal so they can make more than a $2 profit next year. I now see why they only made $2 in profit by the way. They release phones that only appeal to an installed user base. I'm convinced they'll eventually fix this with an update but it's ridiculous. Then again who knows with htc. I gave them a chance and am regretting

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Well let me tell you why I really dont care. I had a friend record a video of us in my car while driving and I texted him and told him to send me the video. As I tried playing the video it was such horrible quality I didnt even want to watch it.. I had to have him email it to me or upload it to youtube just so I could enjoy watching it... Yes its great to have the feature to just send the video through text but if you have to watch it in low quality its not that big of a deal breaker to me..

This is precisely what I'm trying to say. Why want the option when it's a bad option. Do you also want the option to revert to scratchy analog voice calling? Would you want the option to throttle your data speeds while using it? To me these are all the same things. There are better ways, why not use them?

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
This is precisely what I'm trying to say. Why want the option when it's a bad option. Do you also want the option to revert to scratchy analog voice calling? Would you want the option to throttle your data speeds while using it? To me these are all the same things. There are better ways, why not use them?

Yes if the only options available were either analog or no voice call or throttling or no Internet. You're basically saying give me less functionality because there not as good as features through other services. That's silly.

Yes if the only options available were either analog or no voice call or throttling or no Internet. You're basically saying give me less features because there not as good as features through other services. That's silly.

Yes if the only options available were either analog or no voice call or throttling or no Internet. You're basically saying give me less features because there not as good as features through other services. That's silly.

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
HTC has a nice 30-day return policy. If it's that much of a deal breaker for you, just return it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
HTC has a nice 30-day return policy. If it's that much of a deal breaker for you, just return it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Actually they don't. It's 14 day return policy with a 30 day exchange. Trust me I've checked. I would return it. Add in the fact that my phone is a developers edition and htc also severely crippled the developers edition phones mms only by capping the size limit of mms to 300k. Go figure.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Our minds work differently I guess. Look, do yourself a favor, have someone you know take a video in full resolution then send it to you via text. The resolution that comes is going to be bad, so bad in fact that it may be useless as a video. This is no phone's fault as it's a limit on the network. So yes, I don't consider text a usable means of sending video. So the fact that I can't use messaging doesn't bother me because it's not something that should be used. Like complaining I can't send my mom a cake in a letter.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Our minds work differently I guess. Look, do yourself a favor, have someone you know take a video in full resolution then send it to you via text. The resolution that comes is going to be bad, so bad in fact that it may be useless as a video. This is no phone's fault as it's a limit on the network. So yes, I don't consider text a usable means of sending video. So the fact that I can't use messaging doesn't bother me because it's not something that should be used. Like complaining I can't send my mom a cake in a letter.

You keep telling me to do this like I'm. Unaware of this. Lol. I'm aware it's bad quality. The phone should still have the option. Features left off phones are not carriers fault. I don't care about bad quality. Sometimes I want to send something quick with out thinking to myself hey let me film in "mms resolution" if that's the way you think then why stream audio from Google play if it'll play faster and better installed on the device itself. Some people like having options. Isn't that the point of the android os and it's phones. Or are you going to be a fan boy and just not admit when something is badly executed.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Firstly, I have to say, the reason why you can't do it is probably down to the fact that these days it makes more sense to share your video/post it up to the cloud, where you can stream it in the resolution it was taken in. This also means you can share the video with whomever you want without having to constantly re-send it. MMS? Welcome to 1999!

Secondly, your constant re-use of the word 'crippled' is ridiculous. Because a phone wont do something you think is useful, which very few others do, does not mean it is crippled.

And as for a three-wheeled Mercedes?

f300-2.jpg

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, I have to say, the reason why you can't do it is probably down to the fact that these days it makes more sense to share your video/post it up to the cloud, where you can stream it in the resolution it was taken in. This also means you can share the video with whomever you want without having to constantly re-send it. MMS? Welcome to 1999!

Secondly, your constant re-use of the word 'crippled' is ridiculous. Because a phone wont do something you think is useful, which very few others do, does not mean it is crippled.

And as for a three-wheeled Mercedes?

http://www.3wheelers.com/f300-2.jpg

Nice clown car. You're right welcome to 1999 only phones then could send pics from their photo library.