Question Android video

ArmG

May 3, 2023
Visit site
I just tried to send a video (set to FHD30) I took with samsung galaxy flip 3 via mms message. Wouldn't let me said file size was too big. It was a 1 minute video but it wants me to reduce it to a 10 second video. I have a hard time believing we can't send a video via text msg through mms. A friend sent me a video from his iphone and it was over a minute long.
Am I doing something wrong here?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums.

Are you new to Android? I ask because this is a common complaint of people who leave iPhone and iMessages. Android is working on its own version of iMessages where larger files can be shared along with other features offered by Apple but is not quite there yet. Depending on the quality of the video 10 seconds sounds about right. You could try reducing the video quality but reduced video quality sometimes is not a thought worth even entertaining. And it stands to reason that if the SMS app allows you take the video while in the app it should allow you to send the video through the app but this is not the case. There is a whole lot of techno babble that we could get into about packet size and how SMS and MMS work but essentially it works out to, yes technology has advanced to the point where this should be possible but for reasons outside of my understanding it is not being implemented with any urgency but they keep telling us that it is coming.

You're not doing anything wrong it just isn't possible with regular SMS apps.

There are some service apps that can do this but those usually require both parties to use the same app/service. If you start looking into which apps can do this you'll see on the Android side WhatsApp is at the top of the list. It seems to be the most like iMessages.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! To expand on VidJunky's excellent explanation, the newer messaging protocol on Android is RCS (Rich Communication Services), and is referred to as "Chat Features" in the messaging app's settings -- look for that. If you turn on RCS, then you can send much larger files to other people, but the catch is that they also have to have RCS turned on (if it's available to them).

If both people don't have RCS, and if they're also not using an alternate messaging platform that can handle large files (like Telegram or WhatsApp), then the best alternative is to upload the video to Google Photos or YouTube and share the link privately with the recipient.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
If you turn on RCS, then you can send much larger files to other people, but the catch is that they also have to have RCS turned on (if it's available to them).
This I did not know. I knew it had some of the features of iMessage, being able to emote someone's message, see them responding, know when an item has been opened, etc. but I was not aware that it currently has the ability to send larger files to someone else also using RSC. This isn't a need of mine, not really sending large files a lot these days, but it is good information to have. Besides I'm a green bubble for most of the people I would have to share things with so they wouldn't get mine anyway, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This I did not know. I knew it had some of the features of iMessage, being able to emote someone's message, see them responding, know when an item has been opened, etc. but I was not aware that it currently has the ability to send larger files to someone else also using RSC. This isn't a need of mine, not really sending large files a lot these days, but it is good information to have. Besides I'm a green bubble for most of the people I would have to share things with so they wouldn't get mine anyway, if you know what I mean.
I believe the filesize limit for RCS is 100 MB (compared to about 1 MB on MMS).