Question Notification history - display full length or message storage location

kasjer12

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
Hello, I have the notification history saving function turned on on my phone. It stores messages from the last 24 hours. The problem is that in the panel where all notifications are displayed, there is no implemented option to expand/enlarge/rolldown the notification. Holding or swiping does nothing, only double clicking redirects me to the source application. The only trick I've found so far is to make the phone font smaller so the text cut's itself little bit further. It doesn't give much, but I can see a little more. In the developer settings there is also possibility to set (probably) unrestricted small font because there is an input in which I can enter any number of dpi and after hit save the font get's really small. Of course, you can't overdo it, because at some point the font will no longer be visible and the navigation elements will become unclickable (by the way, I wonder if I would overkill the dpi number and approved it, how would I go back to the settings that allow me to use my phone ?! 😅).
The phone cannot be switched to landscape mode in this panel; doing this wouldn't solve the problem with very long messages either.
Questions:
1. Is there any way to display the entire length of the notification in history panel?
2. Where in the Android system - in what file are these messages saved and can it be read?
3. Can I increase the time limit for collecting notification history ? or maybe do they remain saved in some system logs?

e.g.
Full length of message in normal top bar (can be holded to show more(whole?) text) / The notification history panel with large font / The notification history panel with smaller font

s (1).jpgs (2).jpgs (3).jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? On my Pixel 7 Pro, the Gmail notifications in my Notification History show about 5-6 lines of text before the ellipsis (which is probably how the original notification looked). Is your issue primarily with Gmail notifications?

kasjer12

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
My phone is Realme with android 11 and UI2.0. Problem not only with Gmail - it was just example. One row below is other app with it's own notification ect..
Are you know maybe sth about questions 2. and 3. ? Because for the first I think its just the way devs projected and created that panel (Maybe Realme UI 3.0 may change the design, but i don't want to update)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to say if the limitations you're facing are due to Android 11 itself or Realme's implementation of Android 11. I wouldn't be able to test either, I'm afraid.

The notification history will only show whatever appeared in the notification panel -- you wouldn't be able to see further details about the email, message, or whatever the notification was for unless you went to that particular app and looked at the details there.