WiFi "Authentication problem"

rguy007

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Another workaround is to disable WiFi and mobile data, then enable airplane mode, turn on WiFi and try to connect again. You do this while airplane mode is still active.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Bala Murali Krishna

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I use a Micromax A116 (Android Jelly Bean). It was working fine with my Wifi until I had to reset the phone for other reasons. Now, it reports an "authentication problem." I have checked the password and several other suggestions on this forum. what I don't understand is how it worked previously and not now (after the reset)? thanks

nukexxx

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Similar problem. I bought two identical ASUS MemoPad 7" ME173 tablets for my grandkids. They both connected to my wireless network at home with no problem. However, they won't connect to the wireless network at their house. They have Comcast with an Arris modem/router (WPS). We tried pushing the WPS button on the router (2 seconds) and trying to connect on the tablets. One tablet asks for a password (which they don't have or use), and the other tablet tries to connect but eventually says "Authentication Problem."

We tried various combinations of the "Airplane Mode" on/off, as suggested above, on both tablets. We tried unplugging the router for 10 seconds and replugging it. We have not tried resetting the router (with the paper clip). Should we do that? Also, why should one tablet ask for a network password while the other doesn't?

setharoo

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem as everyone else. I tried the airplane mode thing and it didn't work. What did work for me was I went to the MAC filtering option * and manually entered my phones MAC address. Your phones MAC can be found in the advanced wifi settings. With my 2wire/ uverse router, when you manually enter the MAC, it goes into a block list first. Just select your phones address and move it back over to the allowed column. My phone connected instantly.

*On the router settings page

rguy007

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Sounds more like you have MAC filtering enabled and way the reason for your problem connecting.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

baminator

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
This just started happening over the last two weeks.
Verizon FIOS running at home.
Samsung Galaxy Tablet was connecting fine until a couple weeks ago. Thought it was the tablet itself and did a hard reset and it worked fine. But it started not connecting at home again and getting this message:
Disabled, secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK

I've been bringing it back and forth to work where it connects fine there (still does).
Phones and computers have not had any issue.

Reading through this forum, I've tried the reset of the router, the data and flight mode switch. But those didn't do anything.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Ghie Nual

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
my cherry mobile candy tv cannot connected to wifi i connect the wifi but says authenticating pls..help me...and disabled to connect thanks...

Mark Villegas

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Was on YouTube watching a few videos with my son when BAM, an advertisement pops up, it froze, then the app crashed. I didn't think anything of it, so I tried again. Same exact thing. Turned my phone off and on, when "Safe mode" popped up on the lower left-hand corner. Confuised, I turned it off once more. Upon turning back on. my Wifi was disconnected which is odd because it usually connects automatically. Nonetheless, I reconnected, but now it says authentication error. None of the suggestions on here seem to help me. I have the Galaxy Discover from Cricket.

Should I take it to a store for troubleshooting? Please get back to me soon. Any help is appreciated.

Esmeralda Quichote

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: WiFi "Authentication problem"

4.1.1 is BAD wifi-wise.

The wifi-BUG you know...

Set your security to WEP on your home-router if you really still want wifi-connection at home.
Outside of your home you will probably often bump upon the same concrete almost wifiless wall.

A few more of these unsupported and unsolvable Android-bugs and ANDROID will be as DEAD tomorrow as PUNK was towards the end of the eighties.

In the wifi-domain Android could maybe learn from Windows? Windows is quite stable in this context (but also Windows disappoints users/buyers as it wants to copy Android too much today).

Julie Meibaum

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
All this mumbo jumbo information is great for people who know this terminology and are able to speak and understand this technical language. I just have a phone and I want to use it. I dont understand 'default gateway'/ 'wps' even if I am reading the definition of it.:(:mad:

ElBeiruti

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
this is the most silly problem that Android has unlike iPhones or BB , its a funny thing that can't be explained why it happens, however, the solution for this that mostly works is either you enter an IP address manually or you change the SSID of the router and the pw , that should solve the problem , another way is to place another router as a bridge or replace the router with any cheap one, and finally deeper solution is to format the phone..
hope this helps you

Moses Shtieh

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I had this WiFi Authentication problem on my android tablet til yesterday. Sollution --> login to your router, go to advanced WLAN settings, change channel from auto (or if a static nr is set change it, try another) to channel 1, 6 or 11. I changed in my router from auto to channel 1 (if ch1 do not help you, try any other ch) and my lenovo android tablet stopped behaving this "god-damn-annoying" "WiFi Authentication problem" way.

Fazal M

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem as everyone else. I tried the airplane mode thing and it didn't work. What did work for me was I went to the MAC filtering option * and manually entered my phones MAC address. Your phones MAC can be found in the advanced wifi settings. With my 2wire/ uverse router, when you manually enter the MAC, it goes into a block list first. Just select your phones address and move it back over to the allowed column. My phone connected instantly.

*On the router settings page

Yep. Added the Mac id of my mobile to my router "allowed" list and it connected immediately. Thanks. post number 29.

shy1721

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME!!!! THANKS! I was trying to set my sons cell phone up using wifi at my parents house but I kept getting that crazy message. I went in using the IP address and clicked on the wireless protected setup thing and it worked. Thanks he and I are both happy!

Kat34

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the same Authentication problem on my Lenovo Yoga B8000. Router is set up for MAC Filtering but where/how do I find the MAC address on the tablet?

Nytetears

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
What I had to do was use wps to connect my phone to the router, the airplane mode worked but if I turned the airplane mode off i lost my connection. WPS connection has it working like a charm

Last edited:

Adriana George

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my Moto X- I have tried that 'airplane mode' trick, but no luck. My only problem is that I am using campus wifi, so I have no access to a router of any kind. I spend a lot of my time in the lower level of the school where I have absolutely no service, and wifi is my only way to connect. I am able to connect on my laptop- and use to be able to connect with no problem with my old iphone, but since I have gotten this phone I have never been able to connect. This is driving me crazy and I could use any advice. The phone connects to other wifis with no problem.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty