Camera update? Do US One's really have it?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
No windshield here. Perfect sunlight day in Hawaii just blurred picture . http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/30/ju5u3ese.jpg

Sent from my HTC One Coconut Wireless

This really looks like its been digitally zoomed, which will give you poor results anyways.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Any phone, regardless of what it is, is going to take a terrible shot if zoomed in. For instance, here are two different phones. One is taken by a droid DNA, and one is taken by a note 2. Both with digital zoom from the same distance. What you see isn't entirely a lack of focus, but also some noise in the image.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369884581996.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369884581996.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 22
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369884590069.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369884590069.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 23

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I know of no photographer anywhere that prints or posts their photos straight from the camera with no editing.

As a matter of fact, it is the mark of an amateur photographer if they DON'T post process their pictures. Just like in the good old film days, you need to process your photos in Photoshop or a similar program after you take them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

That's absurd. If you're a good photographer, you shouldn't need to post process all the time. A really good photographer knows how to get the shot on-site with the correct camera settings. Remember the film days? You didn't have the option to not get it right. Too many people spend way too much time post processing instead of learning photography.

That's not to say you shouldn't do post processing. But you should be able to be more selective on the shots you do post processing on. Just because you don't know any photographers that don't post process everything means nothing. They might get paid for their work and it's worth it to them to spend some time cleaning up a few things. But it's ridiculous to say that you're an amateur if you don't post process. That's completely absurd and not even in the realm of reality of good photography. That has nothing to do with anything.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That's absurd. If you're a good photographer, you shouldn't need to post process all the time. A really good photographer knows how to get the shot on-site with the correct camera settings. Remember the film days? You didn't have the option to not get it right. Too many people spend way too much time post processing instead of learning photography.

That's not to say you shouldn't do post processing. But you should be able to be more selective on the shots you do post processing on. Just because you don't know any photographers that don't post process everything means nothing. They might get paid for their work and it's worth it to them to spend some time cleaning up a few things. But it's ridiculous to say that you're an amateur if you don't post process. That's completely absurd and not even in the realm of reality of good photography. That has nothing to do with anything.

Uhh clearly you don't know much about photography. I know of no photographer (and I know some prominent ones) that would agree with your statement. Post processing is part of what they do. They ALWAYS do it, even if it is minor edits. It's something thats even taught to photography majors. It is definitely a sign of an amateur photographer if they take the image right from the camera without stopping at Photoshop in between.

Also, the statement that you 'didn't have the option to not get it right' in the film days is laughable. My grandfather was a photographer that didn't switch to digital until 2010. He spent HOURS in the dark room every time he took pictures working on post processing. All of those effects that are in Photoshop? Where do you think those came from? Hint: Adobe didn't invent them, they took them from photographers.

Some times photographers get lucky and don't need to process their pics, but that is definitely NOT how it works out the majority of the time.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Well, it is certainly possible to take good photos with no post processing. However, in the digital age, most people who take a lot of pictures will set the camera up to provide a good file for post processing which precludes the best "out of the camera" image. The goal isn't the best shot out of the camera that can be sent straight to a printer or posted online. That generally means shooting raw, shooting reduced sharpness and saturation with minimal noise reduction. They then take all their photos and dump them in a program like light room, where they can easily review and cull bad shots and mark good ones for later editing. If the shot is good, then they will devote time to editing, including croping, white balance, exposure tweaks, adjusting contrast, sharpening and if necessary noise reduction.

All of that is pretty much standard. It isn't just "cleaning up a few things" it is the equivalent to a digital dark room. In film days serious amateurs and professionals obsessed over this stuff too, but it was much more expensive and time consuming, and often outsourced. And you are right, professionals don't edit all the shots, just the good ones.

Are there some professional photographers that don't process like this? Depends on what you mean by professional I guess. There are probably plenty of wedding photographers that just a ton of pictures and use some program to organize themand figure good enough and do minimal post shoot editing. Most wedding photographers aren't very good though. Studio photographers probably spend more time setting up lighting than post processing because they have a lot more control than non-studio photographers, but then again, search you tube and see what goes into a commercial photography shoot, you may be surprised there too.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
No you mis-understand. The iphone is not near as good as the One.
I didn't misunderstand. I can easily say that on average, my iPhone 4s takes far better pictures than my HTC One. No comparison.

If you have only taken 50 or 60 pictures, you really have no idea if the camera is good or not. Try taking a bunch more. You will start to learn what you are doing wrong.
Hah! That's my point though. If simply opening the camera app, taping to focus on my subject and taking a picture won't reliably take a good photo then there's something wrong with the camera.

And 4mp is not too small. What do you think more megapixels is going to do for you if you can't get a good shot with the camera? More resolution of a bad photo? That makes no sense at all.

If the next version of the one has more megapixels, it will only be because they couldn't overcome the delusion that people have about the effect of megapixels.
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the "ultra pixel" nonsense. I understand the goal and it's an interesting experiment. I'm sure the next version will be great, but currently it isn't. What will more megapixels do? Capture more data, allow for larger images, allow for the use of cropping without producing a crappy zoomed image, allow me to use pictures i take with my One in the annual photo book of my kids that I have printed and sent to family. Currently, with 4mp there's less room for error, you can't zoom at all and the images likely won't have enough resolution to be printed.

I'm not implying that more megapixels is always better, there are many other components that my work pin concert to produce better images. But 4mp isn't cutting it.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I didn't misunderstand. I can easily say that on average, my iPhone 4s takes far better pictures than my HTC One. No comparison.

Hah! That's my point though. If simply opening the camera app, taping to focus on my subject and taking a picture won't reliably take a good photo then there's something wrong with the camera.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the "ultra pixel" nonsense. I understand the goal and it's an interesting experiment. I'm sure the next version will be great, but currently it isn't. What will more megapixels do? Capture more data, allow for larger images, allow for the use of cropping without producing a crappy zoomed image, allow me to use pictures i take with my One in the annual photo book of my kids that I have printed and sent to family. Currently, with 4mp there's less room for error, you can't zoom at all and the images likely won't have enough resolution to be printed.

I'm not implying that more megapixels is always better, there are many other components that my work pin concert to produce better images. But 4mp isn't cutting it.

I think I've been let down by a picture I've taken on the One maybe ten times, out of hundreds of pictures taken and every time it was my fault for doing something wrong... Digital zoom, either on a phone or a dedicated camera should never be used as far as I'm concerned. No clue why it's even an option. And how big of prints do you plan on making? If you want poster size prints use a real camera. I'm sorry but there is more than enough resolution in this camera for what people will do most of the time. That's the idea. No one should expect to make a nat geo cover with their phone.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
No one should expect to make a nat geo cover with their phone.
All I'm expecting is decent pictures on a consistent basis. This phone fails that test. I understand your opinion of digital zoom, but that isn't exactly what I'm talking about. I'm saying that you can't crop a picture and then enlarge the resulting image into anything usable. With more megapixels that would be possible.

Hell, I can't even submit checks to my bank via their app anymore because the camera wont take a high enough resolution image.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
All I'm expecting is decent pictures on a consistent basis. This phone fails that test. I understand your opinion of digital zoom, but that isn't exactly what I'm talking about. I'm saying that you can't crop a picture and then enlarge the resulting image into anything usable. With more megapixels that would be possible.

Hell, I can't even submit checks to my bank via their app anymore because the camera wont take a high enough resolution image.

Your bank needs a higher resolution than 2688 X 1520? Crazy, but that would upset me as well. I guess I never crop photos so if that is something you do often, yeah, you'll need more pixels. I just frame the photo the way I want it when I take it. I guess we just take pictures differently. In your case you might want a higher pixel count camera. If cropping and enlarging is a regular thing for you....

Also, if you are failing to get "decent pictures on a regular basis" I'd say there is something wrong with your phone or your photography. My experience has been pretty good pictures almost all the time.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Well, that is the draw back to finer tools, it takes some some ability and experience to get the most of them.

Does the iPhone take better photos for inexperienced and unskilled photographers who don't desire to take better photographs? Probably. But your just wrong when you say the camera is adequate at best, and to think you need more pixels.

The number of pixels is not the problem with your photos. It just isn't.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

I have cropped the One photos to under 2mp and it looks fine full screen.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Actually, this is utter bull****. This weekend, my brother in law took pictures with his iPhone 5 (his normal phone) and also took pictures with my HTC One (the first time he ever took a picture with the One)) within minutes of each other. The iPhone 5 shots look like crap in comparison.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Why would you want to be cropping and enlarging pictures taken on your phone? If you want to do that, buy an actual camera.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, that is the draw back to finer tools, it takes some some ability and experience to get the most of them.

Does the iPhone take better photos for inexperienced and unskilled photographers who don't desire to take better photographs? Probably. But your just wrong when you say the camera is adequate at best, and to think you need more pixels.
The camera doesn't take great pictures all the time, it's adequate. That was also a nice attempt at a dig, but seriously that's the point of a consumer device, especially a camera in a mobile device. I shouldn't have to be a photographer to get good pictures. I shouldn't have to learn about all the different features. In a standard, well lit environment I should be able to launch the camera app, focus on my subject, take the picture and get good results the majority of the time. I don't think that's unrealistic, yet the One's camera doesn't meet those requirements.

Actually, this is utter bull****. This weekend, my brother in law took pictures with his iPhone 5 (his normal phone) and also took pictures with my HTC One (the first time he ever took a picture with the One)) within minutes of each other. The iPhone 5 shots look like crap in comparison.
OK, I must be lying then. Seriously this isn't a point for debate I have a ton of pictures here taken with both devices. The pictures from the 4s are, on the whole, better than with the One.

Also, try to reply in a single post, no need to post over yourself.

Why would you want to be cropping and enlarging pictures taken on your phone? If you want to do that, buy an actual camera.
Oh so "I'm using it wrong"? That's your argument? This is a realistic use case. I have another camera, a nice one, and I use it frequently. But as the old saying goes the best camera is the one you have with you. I expect the camera on here to work as good or better than the one on the device it replaced. This one can't do that.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh so "I'm using it wrong"? That's your argument? This is a realistic use case. I have another camera, a nice one, and I use it frequently. But as the old saying goes the best camera is the one you have with you. I expect the camera on here to work as good or better than the one on the device it replaced. This one can't do that.

Cropping and zooming in on pictures you take on your phone is not a realistic use case. Sorry that you don't agree, but it just isn't.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
The camera doesn't take great pictures all the time, it's adequate. That was also a nice attempt at a dig, but seriously that's the point of a consumer device, especially a camera in a mobile device. I shouldn't have to be a photographer to get good pictures. I shouldn't have to learn about all the different features. In a standard, well lit environment I should be able to launch the camera app, focus on my subject, take the picture and get good results the majority of the time. I don't think that's unrealistic, yet the One's camera doesn't meet those requirements.

OK, I must be lying then. Seriously this isn't a point for debate I have a ton of pictures here taken with both devices. The pictures from the 4s are, on the whole, better than with the One.

Also, try to reply in a single post, no need to post over yourself.

There is no argument. You just show your ignorance of cameras and photography with statements about the camera being inconsistent after you have taken 50-60 photos and when you claim that more megapixels would help, as if more megapixels would bring consistency some how.

With any camera, there is a learning curve and with one's camera it may be steeper because while it can adequately expose an image in very low light, getting good low light photos takes some practice and the ability to look at shots you have taken and assess why they worked or didn't and make adjustements. After you have that experience and ability, you learn how to assess the situation before the shot to get what you are trying to achieve. That kind of experience doesn't come by farting around, taking 50-60 quick shots all on auto, then throwing up your hands and saying the camera is no good.

The problem is that while the one will be able to expose in those low light situations, if you don't know what you are doing, it can be hit or miss, perhaps this is the inconsistency you are seeing. The difference is other phone cameras will be more consistent in these situations, they will consistently miss, but you would shrug it off as being too dark, or needing flash.

Now, you are all set to prove that the camera isn't good. How can you expect to get results with that approach?

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Cropping and zooming in on pictures you take on your phone is not a realistic use case. Sorry that you don't agree, but it just isn't.

You can actually crop down quite a bit and still get good pictures for the web. You can't crop near as far as you can with a 13mp camera, but you can certainly crop out 25 to 30% of the image and get nice results. If you need to crop more than that, you need to work on framing your shots better.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Why not? I used to do it all the time on my iPhone? I still have situations where I need to do this. It's clearly a realistic use case if I have a need to do it and my previous device did it successfully.

I'm done with the apologists. Enjoy the only weak point of this device. The camera is not good, it's adequate.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87