2 week old HTC One camera looking weird

Hala Beirouty

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I got my HTC One exactly two weeks ago and I'm absolutely in love with it. But there's just one thing that's irritating me and it's the camera.

The photos are beautiful and crystal clear during the day where there is sunlight, but when I take photos during the night or in low light, there's this weird thing that comes up in the photo, as if the camera is dusty or scratched, but it isn't as I've checked it and cleaned it multiple times. I'm not sure what it is exactly but I've checked all settings and they're all normal. Here's a screen shot and a photo of what it looks like when I use my camera

This is a screen shot of when I have my camera covered, my sister has an HTC one as well and when she covers it the screen is pitch black. Mine on the other hand has this weird striped pattern as if there is some weird layer on the camera lense :s
994591_10151856446987994_195798158_n.jpg

Here is how it looks like when I take a normal photo in low light, the weird pattern thing barely shows but it's still there

21410_10151856449532994_291407995_n.jpg

Does anybody know what it is or have the same thing with their camera? I need to figure out what's wrong with it!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, the first picture is from you covering it with your finger. Can't tell ya why hers goes all black and your's doesn't but I do know that if light bleeds through your finger, it will be reddish as the light is passing through your blood. So that could be you in orientation to a light source causing the reddish hue.

The second pic looks good. The ONE takes "better" low light pics than most but it is not a "low" light camera. Even though they tout it being "ultra pixel" it still is going to take pics that are noisy and grainy because there are so many factors involved. If you had taken this pic with a different phone, I bet ya that it would look even worse! Try playing around with the settings and taking a bunch of pics till you get something that suits your needs a little better.

Hala Beirouty

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I figured that the reddish hue is caused from light going through blood. And yeah the second photo does look good and clear, but I don't exactly mean the clarity of the photo. I'm referring to those striped lines, you can see them at the top of the photo... They're like faint lines and appear in each photo and video that don't seem to go away. I just can't figure out what they are and where they came from

gustav30

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Guys this problem is covered pretty extensively on XDA on a multitude of HTC Ones.
Here is the link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317507

The consensus right now is that heat is playing a large part in this. For example take a One that has been in a deep sleep and open camera app while lens is face down on something black. Most likely the purple/red hues will not fill the sensor. Or the very least it should take a longer amount of time for the purple/red to appear.
Then open camera app on a black object after heavy use, like browsing, playing some intense games...most likely the sensor will fill with the purple/red pretty quickly.

Please refer to the thread link above for more information. Also there are a bunch of YouTube videos of people reporting this issue.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Hala Beirouty

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Ahh yes, I just tried covering it after not using it for a while and the reddish hue didn't appear. Is it possible that the casing is trapping heat or something like that?

Chis Jewell

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Its a software / settings issue ! I'm using the night camera App ( the one that has a pumpkin symbol ) and its fixed the night time/low light issues.

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the same exact problem, just noticed it today.
If you look closely at the 2nd picture you can make up some scar-like-looking pattern. The problem at hand here is the pattern not the pinkish hue. As you can notice in the 2nd picture that isn't the issue. However in my case I get them both, pinkish hue and the pattern. I've noticed it only appears during low light use. Below are couple of shots I took to show this.

Attachments

• IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 43

Hala Beirouty

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Yess I have that exact same problem with the scar/stripe overlay texture in low light and under heat too, but yours seems to look even worse than mine. How long have you had your HTC so far?

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
It turns out I had this problem from day one but just didn't notice it. I went through the first few shots i took with the phone and it was there. I never got the phone to heat up too much, but definitely happens in low light conditions. I've had it for over 2 weeks now. I've email HTC and the warranty company that came with my phone, HTC said that I can get a replacement at the retailer i bought it from in the first 2 weeks after purchase however I was away and didn't get to read that email and today will have been my 17th day with the device, I hope the retailer will still accept it for a replacement tomorrow. The warranty company agreed to replace it no matter what however their office is in another city so I'll be trying with the retailer tomorrow. I doubt it's something that can be fixed. Pretty much nothing can be fixed in this phone. I'm just surprised that such an expensive device have such poor quality control.

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the stripe issue as well. Mostly in one corner of the screen. When I lay mine flat the screen shows all black. But when I take a pic in very low light I will get purple stripes. Its not all the time but could be related to heat like others are saying.