HTC One battery life suddenly improved?

BlankShot

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I plugged my HTC One into my laptop using the genuine HTC cable to transfer some data. After a while, I realized the bottom part of the phone was getting burning hot and I plugged out the cable to check. The entire metallic portion of the microUSB was burning hot and I burned my finger a little by touching it. After that, the cable could no longer charge via AC nor connect to the computer.

I then tried another cable from my old nokia (lumia) and it worked for a while, then gave the slow-charge message, then stopped working after a while. I then used a cheap non-branded cable (which works for all my other samsung/nokia phones) and it worked, but charged really slowly (without slow-charge message).

As a comparison, it probably takes about 1-2 hours to charge it fully using the stock HTC cable (AC), but using the cheap cable or the nokia cable it took almost an hour to go from 18% to 22%. I left it overnight and in the morning it was 100%. Here's the strange part, the battery life oddly became incredibly lasting on this charge.

Usually I unplug the charger in the morning between 9 - 11 am, and by the end of the day it will be 15 - 30% depending on how much I use it, so I'm used to needing to charge it every night. On this weird slow charge though, it stayed on 100% for almost an hour (when usually it goes to 95% within minutes). As of now, 15 hours has passed since I took it off charge and 54% still remains. --> I used the phone as per normal, mostly listening to music on rides.

So basically before this event the phone would go from 100% to 20% in about 12 - 15 hours, but now it went from 100% to 55% in 15 hours. That is with brightness on 1/3 constantly. Usually I would lower it to 0/3 nearing the end of the day to conserve battery.

Is my battery screwed? Somewhat amused that battery life improved but still worried. Might send in for warranty repair for the charging port. (I have to wiggle the cable a bit to get it to charge)

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had a few random days like that. Maybe on a weekend where I forget to plug it in at night. Waking up in the morning it would be at 45-50%, when normally it would be at like 10-15% at the most.

But it will return to "normal" battery life the next day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa