Why is my HTC One M7 keep on rebooting randomly?

ah269

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I have been going on the internet to solve this problem. Please note I have gone through every solution given, every method that were suggested and still it is rebooting randomly.

The rebooting occurs randomly, it can happen when I'm using the phone, it can happen when I'm not using the phone, it can happen when I charge the phone. But sometimes it work just fine. The most days I have gone without the phone randomly rebooting is 2 days.

I also noticed that before the phone starts to reboot, the screen will freeze and the back will heat up. During the annoying crazy reboot ****, the phone can be hot. (When this happen and I'm outside, I used my phone as hand warmer haha). I think this has to do with the battery, but I am not entirely sure since I don't know what I'm dealing with. The most irritating part during the reboot is, the cellular network will not work and when it stops rebooting, the cellular network stay to not working. (My phone is unlocked and I know this because I have been using the phone with 3 different network in the past). The only way for me to get the cellular to work again is to wait for the reboot again or try to manually rebooting the phone several times until I get the network to work again.

I have searched every forum and tried everything, the problem doesn't go away. I can't send the phone for replacement since I already past my warranty, and I am thinking of sending the phone to some phone repair shops (which I found very un-trustable). Should I do that or is there any other solution to this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Next time it happens, look at the battery graph on the second page of Settings/General/Battery. Press the graph at the top of the first page to get to the second page.)

Did the battery drop to zero or near zero VERY sharply just before the reboot? Then the battery is developing a dendrite and has to be replaced. (It's a failing of lithium battery technology and is being worked on. Well ... being pondered over at this stage. Like "how can we attack this problem?") The chemical processes that make th battery work also cause "whiskers" to grow from the electrodes and they can sometimes short the battery. That's enough to cause a reboot. The short burns the dendrite out, so it's like a really quick battery pull and the voltage comes back up before the phone can shut down so it restarts.

If the dendrite is thicker than normal, it will produce a lot of heat before it burns out.

Unfortunately, in the M7, you have to disassemble the phone to replace the battery. The battery is only about $10. The labor is going to be on top of that.

Why does the radio lock up? The voltage drops slowly enough that the radio can go into any weird state, and won't come back until it gets a power reset. Since you can't pull the battery, try turning the phone off, waiting a few seconds, then turning it back on. (A long press on the power button is supposed to simulate a battery pull, but I don't know if it really resets the hardware the way removing power from it does.)

ahsinat

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I love the phone so much but I think it was badly built.

Mine did this a lot & maybe 4 months after receiving it, it crapped out completely.

It's known to have a faulty motherboard, but im not sure if the rebooting is a motherboard issue.. ! If I were you, I'd just be wary & maybe try to use the phone less if youre a heavy user.. I go through phones like its nothing :-\ and i found mine rebooting often when i was in the middle of a semi-heavy internet browsing session..!

ah269

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah mine happened the same. I noticed that whenever I went on the internet or use the instagram, it will slowly heat up and reboot.

So do you live with your phone like that? I can imagined how frustrating it is since mine is also going the same.

ah269

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi thank you for your reply.

Nope it does not, but I did noticed one thing about the power. I used instagram and spotify a lot, I check the battery level usage, both of the apps used almost of 50% of the battery. And when it gets over 50% the phone will restart. Following your statement, my best guess is the battery is causing this, no?

I did try doing the power reset thing, sometimes the radio will come back on, but most of the time it work. I would say the probability of me getting the radio come back on is 20% haha.