[Guide] How to reboot into Stock Recovery on HTC One M8

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So, you need to get into recovery? For whatever reason, be it to clear system cache after an update, or any other reason, you NEED to reboot to recovery.

For more info on recoveries: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...recoveries-versus-stock-there-difference.html

[INFO]Recovery is often helpful if the UI is no longer responsive. I have seen recovery help out a user with a damaged screen, but everything else was fine. [/INFO]

Ok, so here is a quick breakdown on how to get into Recovery.

Steps:
1. Disable fastboot. This can be done in Settings>Battery>uncheck fastboot.
2. Power off. Wait until the device is completely powered down. Roughly 15 seconds should suffice.
3. Press and hold Volume Down and power. This should bring you to the bootloader, as shown below:
tapatalk_edited.jpg
The bootloader screen

4. Using the volume keys to navigate and the power button to select, scroll down to Recovery, and push power.
5. You will get a screen similar to the No Command screen like in the Nexus devices. Press and hold Volume Up and click Power.

[NOTE]I tested twice, and both times it took about 30 seconds to boot into Recovery. The OS scanned my empty SD card slot five times, and I am guessing that is the reason why the delay was there.[/NOTE]

DSCN0508 - Edited.jpg

DSCN0506 - Edited.jpg

6. Scroll down to wipe cache partition and click power to accept. This process is relatively quick.
7. Afterwards, you can click reboot system now, and the device will reboot.

I apologize for the blurry photos, I tried my best.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
great, I did this and got The bootloader screen but after selecting recovery it runs through and screen pretty fast which i cannot see what't written there and then comes back to the HBOOT screen. can you help me out with what i would need to do to get back into recovery?
I have an HTC ONE M8 AT&T and it was rooted and then I unroot it and re-locked it. it now shows tampered and re-locked on the bootloader screen and it is S-On. I installed the stock recovery using ADB commands but still unable to get to recover and unable to do OTA updates.. I can download the update but when i try to install it, it just goes to the bootloader screen with no error message. thank you

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
great, I did this and got The bootloader screen but after selecting recovery it runs through and screen pretty fast which i cannot see what't written there and then comes back to the HBOOT screen. can you help me out with what i would need to do to get back into recovery?
I have an HTC ONE M8 AT&T and it was rooted and then I unroot it and re-locked it. it now shows tampered and re-locked on the bootloader screen and it is S-On. I installed the stock recovery using ADB commands but still unable to get to recover and unable to do OTA updates.. I can download the update but when i try to install it, it just goes to the bootloader screen with no error message. thank you

Have you tried flashing the stock images? Yes, that will reflash the stock ROM, but should also reflash the stock recovery too.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Stock recovery should have a picture of a phone with a triangle in it. Once you have that i believe its volume up and then hit the power to get into recovery.
Reflash the stock recovery again and reboot the phone before you try recovery .

EDIT: Silly me i see Golfdriver already posted how to get into recovery.

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, now is flashing the stock images the same as flashing stock recovery? because i flash the stock recovery several times but still the phone does not allow me to go into the recovery. so if it's different then can you tell me how to do that just in case i have been doing the wrong thing. also I'll try what you said Benny3 about reflashing the stock recovery and rebooting and then trying to get into recovery.
Also will going into recovery allow me to install the OTA update from AT&T? because when i download the update it goes into the bootloader and sits there but the OTA file does not remain on my phone i have to check for the update another day and download it... please let me know and thank you.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Flashing the whole ROM should be the same as the recovery file. But, I also have not had a need to do this either.

Sent from an AOSP M8

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Benny3 and Golfdriver97 ... i appreciate the help so far. Now i'll get the bootloader information posted ASAP. Just so you know Benny3 i am not familiar with RUU and so i might need some directives on that...
Also yesterday when i try to flash the stock again Golfdriver97 i saw something flas by quickly when i tried to go into recovery and i couldn't see it clearly but it said from what I could see that "loading image... wrong image" something about loading image and wrong image but that screen runs by quickly... would you happen to know what that is? or what it's referring to... meaning i have the wrong image and how would i fix that...
thanks

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Pull your sdcard out and then boot into recovery Did you happen to use a zip named something like 0P6BIMG and its stiil on your sdcard?

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about that Zip file: will do what you said about pulling the SDcard. here's my bootloader screen info:
***Tampered***
***Relocaked***
M8-UL-CA PVT Ship S-ON
Hboot-316.0.0000
OS
EMMC-Boot 2048MB
Apr 18 2014, 16:66:33.0

HBOOT

<VOL UP> to previous Item
<VOl DOWN> to Next item
<Power> to select Item

Fastboot
Recovery
Factory Reset
Simlock
Check SmartSD
Image CRC
Show Barcode

I left out radio and OpenDSP…don’t think you need that

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
When you said this "loading image... wrong image" Thats telling me the bootloader is trying to parse a zip and its not even trying to go into recovery. It should go into recovery after pulling the sdcard out

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I didn't pull the SDcard yet and tried but i will later on and get back to you on this.. i wanted to know if this will also allow me to do the OTA updates? meaning if i can try to run the OTA update with the SDcard out if after pulling it out it allows me to get into recovery? in other words would this be the reason why i am unable to do the OTA updates... and please send the information for the RUU based on my phone's bootloader ... thanks

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you have that zip on the sdcard Yes thats why its not going into recovery and yes you will be able to take the OTA

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
i pulled the SDcard and went into bootloader and tried to get into recovery but still it comes back to the bootloader screen that i sent you above. however, now it does not flash anything on the screen saying wrong image or it doesnt try to load anything but it just comes back to the bootloader screen. i didn't try to load an OTA yet but i think if this is not working then the OTA will not work right?
any idea what else i can do? if it's RUU then can you give some directives on this or pointme where i could find some info. thanks

addition:
Tried the OTA update, which downloaded fine over 208 megs and after i hit install it did the same thing... took me into the bootloader screen and that's was it... no error message and nothing else...sits at bootloader..

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I been looking around and doesnt appear att has a RUU. You'll have to use the firmware . Is the phone booting into the OS alright?

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
my phone boots into the OS with no issues/ I flash the recovery by sending ADB commands and via CMD commands and I also tried flashing by using a tool kit called HTC One 2014 (M8) AIO Tookit By Hasoon2000 v2.0 which is the toolkit i used to unroot my phone and relocked it...

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
i always rename the recovery to "recovery" so its actually recovery.img with the extension. you should be using fastboot to flash it. Do this by putting the recovery.img into your adb/fastboot folder and with the usb plugged in enter the bootloader and you should have "fastboot usb" highlighted now open a command prompt from the adb folder, with windows 7 you can hold shift key right click the folder and choose run command from here.
in the prompt type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" now scroll down to reboot bootloader and when reboots and with hboot highlighted scroll to recovery and you should be good. if it doesnt enter recovery and reboots to the bootloader again that usally means you are flashing the wrong recovery img.
Go here....COLLECTION of Stock backup's | HTC One (M8) | XDA Forums
In the first post scroll down to the tab Stock Recoveries and click the Click to shw content and download the recovery that matches your exact software version and flash it the way i just explained. you can find your software versin under settings/about/More/Build number

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
okay i am about to try this...but where is the adb/fastboot folder located because i don't think that's how i did it before. i actually saved the file and renamed it like you said to recovery.img and then flash it and with the toolkit i pointed to it but i didn't actually put the file in the adb/fastboot folder... so where is that located? and anything else i need to know ... and i'm going to try it now...thanks