HTC unlocked M8 network capabilities

PREvision

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,
Can someone clarify this?
I was looking at the unlocked version sold on HTC website. Will that phone work on Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile and international? Will it work for data, phone calls, txt, etc... on every carrier? I am considering switching to Verizon from Sprint. Will the unlocked phone work on Verizon through all bands available? Would it be better to buy the Verizon M8? but I have read it may not work fully on ATT? I also need the phone to be working in Europe.
Kinda confused with all the bands and network.
Here are the network specs from the unlocked HTC M8:
Networks: LTE Quad Band (Bands 17/4/2/5); LTE MIMO; GSM/EDGE: Quad-band (850/900/1800/1900 Hz), Class 12; UMTS: Tri-band (UMTS 850/1900/2100MHz), HSPA+Category 14xx (HSDPA 21Mbps/ EDCH 5.7 Mbps);
Thanks!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It looks like the Unlocked one from HTC would not work with Sprint or Verizon as those are CDMA and the Unlocked is GSM.
It does look like it would work well with ATT and TMO.
Now over seas im not sure as they tend to use different bands.
I always carrier branded units because they will have the proper bands / protocol for them. Then if you want to make changes it can be done on the software side IF the hardware supports it.

For example i had a M7 from TMO. I had it runing GPe for a month with no issues.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As said above, won't work on Sprint or Verizon.

Overseas it should work on GSM networks, but you won't get 4glte in Europe

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

PREvision

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to both of you.

I guess what got me confused is that the unlocked version says it will work on LTE 4, which is the one Verizon uses, so I thought it may work there.

I am guessing the opposite goes the same way, the Verizon M8 won't work on ATT or TM. I had read you could swap the nano sim, and have it work on ATT, but is that just the data working?

Thanks again.
And I so wish phone could work on all network... sooo tired of this and their 2 years contract.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch