Talk + Data (w/out Wi-Fi)

jpmciver

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Did I lose the ability to talk on the phone and use data (I.e. use internet, *Facebook, tweet, etc.) When not in Wi-Fi?

If so, that might be a deal breaker...do I have something set up incorrectly?

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Which variant do you have? The Verizon variant doesn't support simultaneous voice and data over 2g or 3g.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you won't have simultaneous voice and data on Sprint anymore unless you are on wifi or LTE.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

nima1991

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Really wish I lived in an area with 4G LTE (I have Sprint as well). I actually live about 5 minutes from a city that has very reliable Sprint coverage with the 4G LTE and everything, but that doesn't do me much good. The service I get where I live is pretty terrible.

I had a service booster that Sprint gave to me for free after I complained enough. It worked well, but randomly died one day.

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah you won't have simultaneous voice and data on Sprint anymore unless you are on wifi or LTE.

The Sprint HTC One M8 will never have simultaneous voic and data on any network. The only way is when on wifi. If it supported VoLTE then it would get simultaneous voice and data while on a VoLTE call but afaik the M8 doesn't support it so no voice and data for Sprint users unfortunately.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Sprint

Yea you lost it. No sprint phone for the foreseeable future will support voice and data. The choice they made when going to triband killed voice and data options.....

Well let me correct that when and if Sprint moves to voice over LTE (VoIP) call when you'll be able to use voice and data at the same time since it actually all data.

jpmciver

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Yea you lost it. No sprint phone for the foreseeable future will support voice and data. The choice they made when going to triband killed voice and data options.....

Well let me correct that when and if Sprint moves to voice over LTE (VoIP) call when you'll be able to use voice and data at the same time since it actually all data.

Small part of me wants my evo 4g lte back

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The Sprint HTC One M8 will never have simultaneous voic and data on any network. The only way is when on wifi. If it supported VoLTE then it would get simultaneous voice and data while on a VoLTE call but afaik the M8 doesn't support it so no voice and data for Sprint users unfortunately.

Are you sure? We would maybe have to have someone test this.

On my M7 when I had Sprint if I had 3g and made a call it dropped day and did the call.. Which was expected.. But on 4g (LTE) it would hold the LTE data connection and use the other radio for the call.

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

On my M7 when I had Sprint if I had 3g and made a call it dropped day and did the call.. Which was expected.. But on 4g (LTE) it would hold the LTE data connection and use the other radio for the call.

Positive, no testing needed. It's the same on Sprints LG G2 which I own and is the same. All spark phones will have this issue due to only one transmission path. The M7 would stay connected to LTE and 1x simultaneously using 2 transmission paths, one for voice and one for data. On spark phones this apparently wasn't possible so they sacrificed the voice+data to enable spark.

Here's a very detailed article about it. Nexus 5 and LG G2 experience temporary Sprint LTE connectivity issues due to Circuit Switched Fallback technology - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

If you don't want to read I here's the important part:
"Sprint Triband LTE phones dropped SVLTE for eCSFB/CSFB

Up until these new Triband devices, previous Sprint LTE devices supported simultaneous voice and LTE (SVLTE). It could do so with two separate transmission paths from the antennas to the chipset. Voice/texting could run via 1xRTT on one transmission path. LTE could run a separate path, allowing data and voice to be used simultaneously.

In contrast, Sprint Triband LTE devices do not support two separate transmission paths. They have one path, shared by voice/SMS and data. We were alerted to this months in advance. However, we did not realize that the network would have to run on Circuit Switched Fallback in order for this to work and what the ramifications of this would be.

S4GRU was told by a source this past summer that Sprint and the OEM’s came to the conclusion that these new Triband LTE devices could not use SVLTE in the conventional way they used to, and it would require a lot of engineering, testing and cost to even attempt such a design change. It was decided to release Triband LTE devices without SVLTE. It may seem that the only drawback for doing that is Sprint Triband LTE devices would not be able to run simultaneous LTE data while on a phone call or when actively transmitting a text. But there is another. And it’s why many early adopters of these new Triband LTE smartphones no longer are being able to connect to Sprint LTE in many places that they used to."

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Yeah spark doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data for cdma voice +LTE . Non spark like the m7 does.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Per the fcc filing, no simultaneous voice and data for the Sprint m8 . Although it supports 3 bands lte, it doesn't support carrier aggregation. Meaning only one lte band can be used at a time.

4aqahama.jpg

4ymu5ene.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well that sucks then. Sprint is just taking even more away by doing that... And it looks like some may have a good long wait for Spark :(.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow! That sucks!
I'm keeping my GS4 until the contract is up next year.
On this phone I can do calls and data at the same time.
Next year, if the price is right, I will be looking at T-Mobile and AT&T.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

jpmciver

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow! That sucks!
I'm keeping my GS4 until the contract is up next year.
On this phone I can do calls and data at the same time.
Next year, if the price is right, I will be looking at T-Mobile and AT&T.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Yea I went into best buy today, but my evo is long gone