Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By law2010
  • 2 Post By law2010
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts

Default Google Hangouts MMS not working HTC One M8

I have a Verizon HTC One M8. The phone is great, but Google Hangouts rarely sends or receives MMS messages. Most of the time, it fails to send an MMS message, but when it does, it usually takes over 20 minutes.

The stock messaging app works fine and has no issues sending or receiving MMS instantly. However, I prefer Google Hangouts.

Is there anyone that has figured out what is up with its hatred of MMS?

Also, I am not asking for solutions such as shutting off wifi or anything involving wifi calling being shut off because I don't have to do that with the stock messaging app and I do not plan to compromise by disabling another important feature in my phone.

Posted via Android Central App
    sandoff likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: Google Hangouts MMS not working HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by law2010 View Post
    I have a Verizon HTC One M8. The phone is great, but Google Hangouts rarely sends or receives MMS messages. Most of the time, it fails to send an MMS message, but when it does, it usually takes over 20 minutes.

The stock messaging app works fine and has no issues sending or receiving MMS instantly. However, I prefer Google Hangouts.

Is there anyone that has figured out what is up with its hatred of MMS?

Also, I am not asking for solutions such as shutting off wifi or anything involving wifi calling being shut off because I don't have to do that with the stock messaging app and I do not plan to compromise by disabling another important feature in my phone.

Today is just a very funny day for me, i'll tell you why every time I select some thread to answer I heard from another pissed off user from HTC, this is the 4th time I am looking at....
    well, I would get back to your question.... I have never tried sending MMS via hangout and so as I tried sending it and it just fails, so I would rather say that Hangout just doesn't supports MMS, you need to use your stock messaging app for sending MMS.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Burby View Post
    Today is just a very funny day for me, i'll tell you why every time I select some thread to answer I heard from another pissed off user from HTC, this is the 4th time I am looking at....
    well, I would get back to your question.... I have never tried sending MMS via hangout and so as I tried sending it and it just fails, so I would rather say that Hangout just doesn't supports MMS, you need to use your stock messaging app for sending MMS.
    Hangouts does support MMS. This answer is simply incorrect. I will even post a link directly to Google's support to show you: https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../3441321?hl=en

If anyone else can actually provide a helpful answer instead of a non-responsive one, I would appreciate it.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Burby View Post
    Also, I will note that I am not complaining about HTC. This issue is on many phones, including the Note 3, S5, Nexus 5, and G2 Pro. It is my understanding that there is an issue with APN settings and the carrier, not the manufacturer. The problem is that Google, as big as the company is, should be able to make an app that has appropriate APN settings.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,747 Global Posts

I had the same issue with hangouts and ended up installing textra. That app along with hello SMS can both send MMS over WiFi on the Verizon M8.

I noticed that not only does it take 10-20 minutes to send (after retrying) but my phone that received the MMS (that sent one to the VZW phone which never arrived) got the MMS from an "Unknown Sender".

** EDIT: So I got the MMS from my T-Mobile phone on my Verizon M8. Only took 40 minutes.

I'm still willing to give Hangouts a small pass only because SMS/MMS is a new thing for them, but they have a few annoying bugs that need to be worked out. I'm on the edge of just using the HTC app, but would prefer not to.

Sorry for you problems my hangouts is working fine with MMS. Just sent one to a friend and she got with no problems. Hope yours get fixed sending thru Hangouts has been easier for me than the stock app, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly2121 View Post
    Sorry for you problems my hangouts is working fine with MMS. Just sent one to a friend and she got with no problems. Hope yours get fixed sending thru Hangouts has been easier for me than the stock app, good luck.
    Out of curiousity, are you on Verizon?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    Out of curiousity, are you on Verizon?
    Same question, are you on Verizon?

Same question, are you on Verizon?
    Yes, I have my M8 on Verizon and my Nexus 5 on T-Mobile.

I'm having the same issue with Google hangouts mms on Verizon. It retries multiple times before sending mms. Also LTE stays on while receiving till the message finally downloads, which drains the battery in the process. I hope HTC or Google fix this issue.

I am also having the same problem on Verizon with the Hangouts app. Sending the MMS takes a while but when I receive messages back and they always fail to initially download and it separates the replies into their own threads, then showing the "click to download" message (which never works).

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I have the same problem with my Droid Maxx on Verizon. Hangouts will handle photos ONLY. You cannot select Hangouts to send contact cards (VCF) or attach other content/documents. I don't understand why. I've turned to using the Verizon Message+ app which does all of that and more, including sending Glimpse notifications.

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

I gave up on hangouts. Went back to stock app. It constantly fails to send texts when using hangouts. It's definitely a problem with the app. Check the other thread about texting issues. I'd stay away from hangouts until it gets another update or something.

Wouldn't MMS be to do with your carrier? Seems like a lot of Verizon customers are having this issue.

Are you able to send MMS through the stock HTC messaging app, just not the Hangouts app? If so make sure Hangouts is set as your default SMS app and try again. If it's still not going through, then probably contact Verizon and ask what's going on.

I am using Hangouts with wi-fi calling turned on my HTC One M8 and my carrier is Sprint. I have the same issue. I can use Hangouts to send and receive MMS with wi-fi calling turned off and wi-fi turned on or off (provided I have a data connection). With wi-fi calling turned on though, I can only send and receive SMS messages with Hangouts.

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Sprint

Same problem. Cannot receive photos in text/mms on Hangouts when on WiFi.

If I switch to Mobile Data, it fixes it and I get the photo downloaded.

Normally I leave Mobile Data off at home only to save battery because the signal is weak.

The stock messaging app works for receiving photos in WiFi or Mobile data. So Hangouts in WiFi is the problem.