Unable to download MMS on wifi without international roaming (S9, T-Mobile)

Yardi Bunda

Feb 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a stock (unrooted) S9 on T-Mobile and use Google Messages and/or Samsung Messages (the built-in app.)

I travel internationally and recently started receiving "gentle" reminders from T-Mobile that "roaming benefits are not intended for extended use abroad." You know, "Sprint will be better with T-Mobile", blah blah blah.

Anyway, I am usually on wifi so I disabled roaming. No issues except now I am unable to download MMS messages (text or photos) in groups I created UNLESS I enable roaming back on.

This is happening with both Google Messages and Samsung Messages apps.

Is there some setting or configuration that I am missing or is it that wifi is not enough and mobile data/roaming is required?

My concern, of course, is that T-Mobile will press the issue if this scenario continues.

Thanks in advance

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately MMS exchanges between different carriers cannot always work over WiFi, some have to take place over cellular connectivity only. In those situations, you do need to have mobile data enabled (roaming is not a requirement).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a stock (unrooted) S9 on T-Mobile and use Google Messages and/or Samsung Messages (the built-in app.)

I travel internationally and recently started receiving "gentle" reminders from T-Mobile that "roaming benefits are not intended for extended use abroad." You know, "Sprint will be better with T-Mobile", blah blah blah.

Anyway, I am usually on wifi so I disabled roaming. No issues except now I am unable to download MMS messages (text or photos) in groups I created UNLESS I enable roaming back on.

This is happening with both Google Messages and Samsung Messages apps.

Is there some setting or configuration that I am missing or is it that wifi is not enough and mobile data/roaming is required?

My concern, of course, is that T-Mobile will press the issue if this scenario continues.

Thanks in advance
Welcome to AC!

This TMobile branded S9 ?

Try resetting network in setting

Yardi Bunda

Feb 13, 2021
Visit site
Unfortunately MMS exchanges between different carriers cannot always work over WiFi, some have to take place over cellular connectivity only. In those situations, you do need to have mobile data enabled (roaming is not a requirement).
The MMS in question come from the same carrier. I am abroad, however, so maybe I am 'technically' on a different carrier?

Welcome to Android Central! How long are you staying abroad each time?
Thank you so much. My stays vary. Sometimes a few hours (jump the wall and back, you know), sometimes a couple of weeks. Mostly Mexico and Canada.

Welcome to AC!
This TMobile branded S9 ?
Try resetting network in setting

Thank you! T-Mobile SIM card, so I think the answer is yes. I reset the settings multiple times

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The MMS in question come from the same carrier. I am abroad, however, so maybe I am 'technically' on a different carrier?

Thank you so much. My stays vary. Sometimes a few hours (jump the wall and back, you know), sometimes a couple of weeks. Mostly Mexico and Canada.

Thank you! T-Mobile SIM card, so I think the answer is yes. I reset the settings multiple times
I think leave roaming toggle on since your are traveling

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

Yardi Bunda

Feb 13, 2021
Visit site
I think leave roaming toggle on since your are traveling

I wish. I never switched it off before and would keep it on but T-Mobile started nagging about extended roaming abroad. I thought I can turn it on when there's a rare urgent need, like navigation or similar. But now I am unable to send or receive any MMS (photos or even group texts as MMS) without constantly toggling the switch.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I wish. I never switched it off before and would keep it on but T-Mobile started nagging about extended roaming abroad. I thought I can turn it on when there's a rare urgent need, like navigation or similar. But now I am unable to send or receive any MMS (photos or even group texts as MMS) without constantly toggling the switch.
Do you have a high tier plan with them?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're not staying more than a couple weeks at a time, you might want to give Google Fi a try. One of their strengths is ease of use internationally. They also make it clear that they don't allow prolonged use abroad, but they might be more flexible than T-Mobile.

Yardi Bunda

Feb 13, 2021
Visit site
I have TMobile unlimited everything think thats Magneta plan which covers Canada and Mexico
The plan is a conversion of the Sprint Unlimited plan. It covered Mexico -and still does- but all plans have a 50/50 clause. I guess Sprint just never enforced it in my case.

If you're not staying more than a couple weeks at a time, you might want to give Google Fi a try. One of their strengths is ease of use internationally. They also make it clear that they don't allow prolonged use abroad, but they might be more flexible than T-Mobile.
I appreciate the suggestion and maybe.

I was just hoping there was a way to continue to receive MMS and fully use my phone while roaming is turned off and I am on wifi.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire