Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Habiib
  • 1 Post By warpdrive
  • 3 Post By Skyway
  • 1 Post By Skyway
  • 1 Post By law2010
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default

    I found this clip where the One M8 and S5 where both given the same test for seeing how long the battery lasts during video playback. To say the least, this wasn't even close (M8 lasted 7 hours and S5 lasted 5.5 hours). I give this some credence, since it actually shows the graph for the battery stats and gives granular detail of the testing methods.

    Samsung Galaxy S5 vs HTC One M8: Battery Life:

    Posted via Android Central App
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

    If all you do is watch videos, then you have a clear winner. Personally, I use my phone for much more.
    But both should have great battery life.

    Posted via Android Central App on my all new One
    ImmaSlave4U likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

    How does it do that? Are AMOLED screens worse for battery life or something?

    I'm pretty sure the GS5 has the larger battery, so it *should* have had the better battery life.

    Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
  4. #4  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

    Z1 had a large battery but had many reports of bad battery life. Suppose it settings and software as well

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  5. #5  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

    Quote Originally Posted by I Can Be Your Hero View Post
    How does it do that? Are AMOLED screens worse for battery life or something?

    I'm pretty sure the GS5 has the larger battery, so it *should* have had the better battery life.

    Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Software optimizations. Sense 6 is a lot lighter, more refined ui than most others. Battery size (maH) alone isn't enough, you need to be able to manage that battery as well

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

    Quote Originally Posted by Habiib View Post
    I found this clip where the One M8 and S5 where both given the same test for seeing how long the battery lasts during video playback. To say the least, this wasn't even close (M8 lasted 7 hours and S5 lasted 5.5 hours). I give this some credence, since it actually shows the graph for the battery stats and gives granular detail of the testing methods.

    Samsung Galaxy S5 vs HTC One M8: Battery Life:

    Posted via Android Central App
    It looked like he was using a gpe m8, which might or might not affect battery life. Just thought I would point that out

    Posted via Android Central App
    UJ95x likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

    I don't think so. The signal bar/notification bar icons look like sense 6 icons. He's probably just got nova launcher on there.
  8. #8  
    kandekilla's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 2.2 w/LauncherPro

    Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

    You can see the Nova Launcher icon in the dock. Stock M8 with 3rd party Launcher. Looks like the S5 is running Nova as well.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Gotcha, the background, widgets, and icons looked like stock android.

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  
    UJ95x's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    10,178 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

    Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    It looked like he was using a gpe m8, which might or might not affect battery life. Just thought I would point that out

    Posted via Android Central App
    That would very likely play a big part. From what I've seen: TouchWiz S5 > Sense M8 for battery life.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  11. #11  
    law2010's Avatar

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    That would very likely play a big part. From what I've seen: TouchWiz S5 > Sense M8 for battery life.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Both phones were using Nova Launcher and just for the record, TouchWiz is less efficient than Sense 6.

    Neither phone used was GPE. Take a look again and you can see it is Nova Launcher, which means the phones are being pitted against each other with the same launcher. I am guessing they used the same launcher to try and make the phones as even with each other as possible for testing.

    Posted via Android Central App
    B0WIE likes this.
  12. #12  
    UJ95x's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    10,178 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

    Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

    Quote Originally Posted by law2010 View Post
    Both phones were using Nova Launcher and just for the record, TouchWiz is less efficient than Sense 6.

    Neither phone used was GPE. Take a look again and you can see it is Nova Launcher, which means the phones are being pitted against each other with the same launcher. I am guessing they used the same launcher to try and make the phones as even with each other as possible for testing.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yeah, I saw that after I replied. Sense may be more efficient, but like I said, I have seen better results on the S5 in terms of battery life.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  13. #13  
    KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Android Connaisseur

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,839 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

    As much as I love my M8 I do know that amoled phones do better with movie playback battery tests. Very odd.

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    As much as I love my M8 I do know that amoled phones do better with movie playback battery tests. Very odd.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I depends on what the video is. Amoled does better with black because it shuts off the pixels, so if your watching something like the dark Knight or gravity an amoled screen will do better. However as far as I know they are worse for battery on anything bright or white, so if you watch something like castaway with lots of daytime scenes with bright sunlight and white sand a regular LCD screen will be better for battery life. No this may have changed with newer amoled panels, but I know that was the case at least a year or so ago.

Similar Threads

  1. HTC one won't load images on the web, help!
    By SwindleHeart in forum HTC One M7
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-24-2015, 03:59 AM
  2. Gear Fit: Running on HTC M8 ask away
    By whitenessj in forum Samsung Gear Fit 1 & 2
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 01:04 PM
  3. S3 battery instant charge problem
    By serunox in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 12:18 AM
  4. Hole in S5 cover?
    By laddie79 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 01:15 PM
  5. HTC One M8 Camera Problem!
    By MurkyAssassin in forum HTC One M8
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 07:16 AM

Posting Permissions