Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Habiib
  • 1 Post By warpdrive
  • 3 Post By Skyway
  • 1 Post By Skyway
  • 1 Post By law2010
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

I found this clip where the One M8 and S5 where both given the same test for seeing how long the battery lasts during video playback. To say the least, this wasn't even close (M8 lasted 7 hours and S5 lasted 5.5 hours). I give this some credence, since it actually shows the graph for the battery stats and gives granular detail of the testing methods.

Samsung Galaxy S5 vs HTC One M8: Battery Life:

Posted via Android Central App
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 battery drain test.

If all you do is watch videos, then you have a clear winner. Personally, I use my phone for much more.
    But both should have great battery life.

Posted via Android Central App on my all new One
    ImmaSlave4U likes this.

How does it do that? Are AMOLED screens worse for battery life or something?

I'm pretty sure the GS5 has the larger battery, so it *should* have had the better battery life.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Z1 had a large battery but had many reports of bad battery life. Suppose it settings and software as well

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by I Can Be Your Hero View Post
    How does it do that? Are AMOLED screens worse for battery life or something?

I'm pretty sure the GS5 has the larger battery, so it *should* have had the better battery life.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Software optimizations. Sense 6 is a lot lighter, more refined ui than most others. Battery size (maH) alone isn't enough, you need to be able to manage that battery as well

Quote Originally Posted by Habiib View Post
    I found this clip where the One M8 and S5 where both given the same test for seeing how long the battery lasts during video playback. To say the least, this wasn't even close (M8 lasted 7 hours and S5 lasted 5.5 hours). I give this some credence, since it actually shows the graph for the battery stats and gives granular detail of the testing methods.

Samsung Galaxy S5 vs HTC One M8: Battery Life:

It looked like he was using a gpe m8, which might or might not affect battery life. Just thought I would point that out

UJ95x likes this.

I don't think so. The signal bar/notification bar icons look like sense 6 icons. He's probably just got nova launcher on there.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 2.2 w/LauncherPro

You can see the Nova Launcher icon in the dock. Stock M8 with 3rd party Launcher. Looks like the S5 is running Nova as well.

Gotcha, the background, widgets, and icons looked like stock android.

Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    It looked like he was using a gpe m8, which might or might not affect battery life. Just thought I would point that out

That would very likely play a big part. From what I've seen: TouchWiz S5 > Sense M8 for battery life.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    That would very likely play a big part. From what I've seen: TouchWiz S5 > Sense M8 for battery life.

Both phones were using Nova Launcher and just for the record, TouchWiz is less efficient than Sense 6.

Neither phone used was GPE. Take a look again and you can see it is Nova Launcher, which means the phones are being pitted against each other with the same launcher. I am guessing they used the same launcher to try and make the phones as even with each other as possible for testing.

B0WIE likes this.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by law2010 View Post
    Both phones were using Nova Launcher and just for the record, TouchWiz is less efficient than Sense 6.

Neither phone used was GPE. Take a look again and you can see it is Nova Launcher, which means the phones are being pitted against each other with the same launcher. I am guessing they used the same launcher to try and make the phones as even with each other as possible for testing.

Yeah, I saw that after I replied. Sense may be more efficient, but like I said, I have seen better results on the S5 in terms of battery life.

Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,839 Global Posts

As much as I love my M8 I do know that amoled phones do better with movie playback battery tests. Very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    As much as I love my M8 I do know that amoled phones do better with movie playback battery tests. Very odd.

I depends on what the video is. Amoled does better with black because it shuts off the pixels, so if your watching something like the dark Knight or gravity an amoled screen will do better. However as far as I know they are worse for battery on anything bright or white, so if you watch something like castaway with lots of daytime scenes with bright sunlight and white sand a regular LCD screen will be better for battery life. No this may have changed with newer amoled panels, but I know that was the case at least a year or so ago.