Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC One (M8): Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    When I got my Razr Maxx 2 years ago, I was a little worried about the battery lasting for 2 years and it has. If the M8 battery starts to not last as long, can it be replaced somehow? Or should it be able to make it for the length of a contract?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Yes. It can be replaced. It is very hard to do, but it can be done. However, the battery should last through 2 year contract and beyond.
  3. #3  
    buckifvr's Avatar

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,708 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    The battery is not replaceable unless it is sent in for service, but it should last the length of the contract.

    Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
  4. #4  
    knkcgrant's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by buckifvr View Post
    The battery is not replaceable unless it is sent in for service, but it should last the length of the contract.

    Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    I have never heard of a device that "had" to be sent in to have the battery replaced.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Not by you. HTC or a service center can, but you won't be able to

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  
    knkcgrant's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    Not by you. HTC or a service center can, but you won't be able to

    Posted via Android Central App
    You have no idea what your talking about.

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by knkcgrant View Post
    You have no idea what your talking about.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I could do it as well as a lot of people. But some are just not capable or willing to try.
  8. #8  
    knkcgrant's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by James E1 View Post
    I could do it as well as a lot of people. But some are just not capable or willing to try.
    Ditto, been doing it for years and haven't been stumped yet. HTC's aren't hard.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  
    buckifvr's Avatar

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,708 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Well certainly some DIY can replace the battery themselves. I probably can as well. But I do not believe HTC meant it as a DIY project.

    Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    It is very hard to do, but it can be done.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by knkcgrant View Post
    You have no idea what your talking about.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Actually, you're wrong. Skyway was correct, if the OP is asking very basic questions about the battery then it can be safely assumed that he is not qualified to replace it in a device like this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by James E1 View Post
    I could do it as well as a lot of people. But some are just not capable or willing to try.
    Sorry if this sounds like I expect you to try to replace it yourself. After I reread my post it didn't sound very nice. All I am saying is it can be replaced and some can do it themselves but not all can.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by knkcgrant View Post
    You have no idea what your talking about.

    Posted via Android Central App
    You have to remove the motherboard to get to the battery, which is adhered to the LCD shield. Good luck...

    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+O...Teardown/23615

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  
    buckifvr's Avatar

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,708 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Taking apart a smartphone is pretty challenging. Lots of small screws, small connectors, parts that are secured with adhesives. I took a DNA apart once which was pretty easy, but getting it back together was alot harder. And I was working with magnification.

    Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by buckifvr View Post
    Taking apart a smartphone is pretty challenging. Lots of small screws, small connectors, parts that are secured with adhesives. I took a DNA apart once which was pretty easy, but getting it back together was alot harder. And I was working with magnification.

    Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    This phone doesn't have screws holding it together

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  
    buckifvr's Avatar

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,708 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    I have watched a teardown of the phone, but there's no screws internally? That would be different. After you get the case pryed open the DNA had like 16 teeny tiny screws internally. I thought the M8 would be similar. If no screws then taking the M8 would be glued or taped together and that would make it harder to take apart to service.

    Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
  17. #17  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by buckifvr View Post
    I have watched a teardown of the phone, but there's no screws internally? That would be different. After you get the case pryed open the DNA had like 16 teeny tiny screws internally. I thought the M8 would be similar. If no screws then taking the M8 would be glued or taped together and that would make it harder to take apart to service.

    Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    There are some screws underneath the speaker grills, I think like 4 or 5, but inside it's all glued and taped together

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. #18  
    buckifvr's Avatar

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,708 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    There are some screws underneath the speaker grills, I think like 4 or 5, but inside it's all glued and taped together

    Posted via Android Central App
    Well okay then, as much as I love taking things apart to see how they work, are put together, or to fix them, I see I will not be doing that with the M8.

    Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
  19. #19  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    I think they make these things as difficult as possible to service it's like buying a BMW they make it so when you try and service it the clips break and everything is bonded together with specialised tools required long gone are the days of the old Nokia phones held together with screws

    Posted via Android Central App
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    The phone does have screws holding it together. There are 3 holding the motherboard, one of these screws also holds the charging port/audio jack board in place. There's also screws holding down the daughter board. Most back away from working on this model because it is a bear to work on. Screws, tape, adhesive honestly if the phone weren't so good most would look at it's assembly and call it what it is - junk.
  21. #21  
    rankar7's Avatar

    Posts
    387 Posts
    Global Posts
    388 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    This looks incredibly hairy. I've done iPhone 5's and previous and that's not as involved the m8 from what I can see. And the iPhones still took at least an hour and were delicate to work with.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    For anyone else running across this thread...

    Contacted HTC today about the bulging battery in my HTC M8 due to the overheating issue.
    They will not do anything for it as my phone is outside of the 12mo warranty.
    The typical cost to have an HTC authorized repair shop replace a battery in one of these... $140.
    Ridiculous!

    Time to start shopping for a new phone.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Can the battery be replaced if needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by hellfyr View Post
    For anyone else running across this thread...

    Contacted HTC today about the bulging battery in my HTC M8 due to the overheating issue.
    They will not do anything for it as my phone is outside of the 12mo warranty.
    The typical cost to have an HTC authorized repair shop replace a battery in one of these... $140.
    Ridiculous!

    Time to start shopping for a new phone.
    I'd shop around. I found a local place that did it for well under $100. I think it was closer to $70, but it's been a while. They did a good job on mine for that. The problematic USB board they tried replacing, on the other hand, is another story.

Similar Threads

  1. Android 4.4.3 is "supposedly" fixing the Nexus 7's random reboots...
    By Seth Lamb1 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-21-2014, 10:08 AM
  2. Will Nexus 6 be a 64-bit processor?
    By Shilohcane in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-01-2014, 11:43 AM
  3. The theory behind 'rooting'--
    By megabyzus in forum Samsung Galaxy S5 Rooting, ROMs & Hacks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 07:33 PM
  4. With kit kat let's hope the n10.1 2014 gets hancom word
    By Nychotxxx in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 11:01 AM
  5. Hellllpppp needed cant change lockscreen
    By MoNaRcH Maisuriya in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 10:32 AM

Posting Permissions